The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Need Cantering Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/need-cantering-help-99795/)

TripR3 10-07-2011 01:06 AM

Need Cantering Help!

I'm just getting into English lessons so it's all still pretty new to me, but I am having the worst time trying to canter. I've only had a few lessons so I'm sure it will get better with time, but I feel like most people catch on right away and I am definitely not lol. My feet always fall out of the stirrups right away so then I'm trying to canter without stirrups, and I just slide all over the place. I've come so close to slipping right off the saddle so many times! I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I am able to stay on the horse better, because at this rate we only make it cantering around maybe half of the arena before I completely lose my balance and slip sideways and have to stop the horse and grab the saddle to not fall off. I feel relaxed before we start the canter, but I have to really push the horse to canter and then my balance is off going into the canter and it all goes downhill from there. Any suggestions? Also, I was wondering if I should invest in a pair of jodhpurs and half-chaps. I'm perfectly comfortable in jeans, but would jodhpurs and half-chaps help me stay in the saddle better by any chance?

stormyweather101 10-07-2011 08:35 PM

One thing I would make sure you are doing is not pressing your heals up to make the horse keep cantering. That could be the reason why you are losing them to begin with. By putting your weight in your stirrups they shouldn't fall out and you just have to make sure the weight stays there when you ask the horse to go forward. Hope that helps(:

TripR3 10-08-2011 12:01 PM

Okay I will have to try that. Thanks! I had another lesson yesterday and was on a different horse, one who liked to canter so it was really easy to move her into it, and cantering went a lot better than last time :) It was still pretty awful, but I kept my stirrups the whole time and stayed cantering without grabbing the saddle until my instructor told us to stop, so it was improvement at least! I'll try to focus on keeping my weight in my heels next time and see how that helps, especially if I have the horse who doesn't like to canter again :)

stormyweather101 10-09-2011 08:19 AM

Glad to help!