The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Riding pant recommendations (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/riding-pant-recommendations-99820/)

LetAGrlShowU 10-07-2011 12:56 PM

Riding pant recommendations

Ok, so I dont show, at all.

But I need some english riding pants. I would like to stay as cheap as possible, but I understand pants are costly. I dont even know what size I would be. My fiance is surprised me with lessons for my bday and cash to go buy riding pants.

If I'm a 10/12 :oops: womans pants, anyone know what size breeches I need to look for?

I will be trying them on, not just buying online, but still would like to go in with an idea. Any brand recommendations to go with, or stay away from?

I would LOVE full seat, but I dont wantto spend $125 on a pair of pants. :)

Thanks in advance

Allison Finch 10-07-2011 01:20 PM

Anywhere from 28 to 30/32 in traditional sizing and maybe med/large in other. It really depends on the material they are made of. Some are REALLY stretchy and smaller size might be better. Some are two way stretch and don't give quite as much as a four way stretch, making a larger size better.

I wear 8/10 pants and so 26/28 in breeches. I just bought a pair of 30's and a large, so you never really know.

Speed Racer 10-07-2011 01:45 PM

On Course makes a decent breech, and they won't break the bank. Even their fullseats aren't as expensive as some of the more well known brands.

A 30 or 32 should work for you, as far as sizing.

crimsonsky 10-07-2011 02:09 PM

if you're not showing and just want something comfortable look into riding tights like Kerrits

personally, i'm pretty cheap when it comes to spending money. i'd go try some stuff on to get an idea of what size you'd want for each particular brand and then shop online to find them for cheaper. ebay is a fav of mine. i've gotten many many pairs of tights and breeches off there for less than half the MSRP.

also, depending on how tall you are, sometimes you can find kids breeches/tights that fit. if you like color that really opens up your options. ;)

LetAGrlShowU 10-07-2011 02:15 PM

I might just do that. I can be a bit impatient but I'd probably be able to get 2 for the price of 1 if I buy online...

Corporal 10-07-2011 03:23 PM

2 thoughts. Go to your local stores and try on to buy some jeans that you can easily squat in, and do leg stretches. I have a nice pair that I bought last year from Meijer for $15.00
If you think you're going to be doing a lot of riding, bite the bullet and buy for the long term. (I had my daughter do this, and her pants have really lasted.) Here's an example:
On Course Kempton Full Seat Breeches - Statelinetack.com
Don't worry, they have a size chart. It's about $100 +S & H, but they do have sales coming up.
Also check Chicks and horse.com
ANY of the the riding tights I have bought have worn out in one season, btw.

crimsonsky 10-07-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1194295)
ANY of the the riding tights I have bought have worn out in one season, btw.

really? that's a bummer. i have... *thinks* four pairs of kerrits tights and then two pairs of ovation kids breeches and one pair of ariat winter breeches. all have held up remarkably well and i find i wear the kerrits most often for comfort reasons.

might i ask what brand of tights wore out on you? it's good to know for shopping purposes. ;)

Corporal 10-11-2011 12:06 PM

@crimsonsky, Don't remember the brand, but I just seem to get holes in different places and they just tear and wear out. I'm glad to know that yours last longer--could be I'm doing too much grooming with them on? IDK...Maybe, it's just that the thin fabric couldn't hold up. To tell the truth, since I sew, I'm making 2 pairs of old jeans into one pair of full-seat breeches now. It's going to take about a month, since I'm doing ALL of my winter-prep now, but I'll let you know how this goes. =D

LetAGrlShowU 10-11-2011 12:10 PM

Ok, so i went to the tack shop and look in their consignment area, tried on a pair that fit "ok" and then went to their new sales rack. I was able to fit into a kids size so I got 2 pairs for under $60 each. Plus half chaps were on sale, so i picked up a paid for like $25. I am content and ready to ride.

crimsonsky 10-11-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetAGrlShowU (Post 1197532)
Ok, so i went to the tack shop and look in their consignment area, tried on a pair that fit "ok" and then went to their new sales rack. I was able to fit into a kids size so I got 2 pairs for under $60 each. Plus half chaps were on sale, so i picked up a paid for like $25. I am content and ready to ride.

see!!! if the kids fit you can really score. :D