The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My horse is pushy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-horse-pushy-99904/)

BarrelWannabe 10-08-2011 12:39 PM

My horse is pushy

As the title states, my horse is pushy. In fact, extremely pushy. Doesn't respect space, he's pins his eat when I'm feeding, pushy under saddle. He's done right mean sometimes. How can I "fix" this?
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 10-08-2011 02:06 PM

I would start spending as much time as possible in his enlarged personal space bubble on the ground, touching him all over and such.

As for the undersaddle part, my moms horse, Ginger, hates being beside another horse on the trail, and hates it even more when she's between two horses, she gets rammy and throws a huge fit, so when we're riding, me and my dad will make a "Ginger Sandwich" and sandwich her between our horses until she wuit being all ram-jam.

If he'd being pushy undersaddle, (I'm not quite sure what he's doing so I'm going to guess) I'm guessing that he either wants to go where he wants to go and/or wants to take off with you. When he tries going where he wants to go (back to the other horses...?) make him go the oppostite direction. It will probably be a bit of a fight, but he will probably start seeing things the easier way.

Hope this helps...

Lakotababii 10-08-2011 03:52 PM

Unfortunately, there is no one exercise to fix this. What your horse needs is consistency across the board. So no matter what you do, focus on being the dominant horse,so to speak.

It is a lot safer to correct it now, as it won't get better on it's own.

So let me give it to you from your horses perspective: He is probably thinking along these lines: "I don't need to listen to her, I am the dominant one here." When feeding, "Since I am dominant, I get the food, so back off" When riding, "I choose where we go because I am dominant" See the pattern?

How you can break this, in all areas, is by teaching him 1 thing: YOU are dominant, not him. He may test you in all these areas, but once you teach him who is boss, I can almost guarantee you will see an attitude change in all areas. (Although he still may need reminders.)

So how is this done? Simple actually, but takes a lot of consistency. Every time you work with him, read his body language. Demand his respect in all areas, whether its leading, lunging, or riding. Make your presence known. Do not tolerate pushy behavior.

Example: When leading, he must stay at your shoulder, not eat grass, not go ahead, not lag behind, not be in your space. If he does any of these things, immediately correct him and then continue with the task at hand.

Really it boils down to this: Every time you work him, you need to have the goal of earning his respect, no matter what the exercise.