The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   mixed emotions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/mixed-emotions-9996/)

lorgrad 06-10-2008 03:50 PM

mixed emotions

:? My horse 4yrs old Qh. gelding Disrespects me when i am lunging him. Walking is fine but when i ask for more he wants to rare at me and yanks the lead line. Yesterday i lunged him and he did the same thing rared and i yanked him hard and made him loose his footing and he fell to the ground not hard but he went down. Do ya'll think that may have changed he mood swing when asked to do something because after that i quit because my hands were on fire. I left to cool down because i was kinda mad at him but i went back out there and he came up and loved on me like he always does. So i don't know what to think.

Curly_Horse_CMT 06-10-2008 07:03 PM

Lunging problems

Does he do it no matter what direction you are sending him in? I wouldnt have pulled him so hard with the lunge line that he fell down...that sounds a little excessive, even though you might have not meant it. :oops: Do you have a whip that you could use as a extension of the arm ONLY to send him off, or to just give him a sharp, short tap if he comes at you to let him get the message? Its dangerous when they come at you like that and needs to be stopped, especially since he is older and has more size to him. You can also have someone assist at his head to let him get the idea of lunging at a walk, trot and lope and changing directions with you at the end of the lunge until he gets the hang of it. Just an idea..... :? [/b]

JustDressageIt 06-10-2008 08:58 PM

I would have made him work HARD for acting up like that. Back up, disengage the hindquarters, SOMETHING to let him know that A) it's not okay and B) he gets punished by having to work harder when he misbehaves.
He's learned now that whenever he rears up, you get mad and let him quit working - it's an easy out! Instead, move him forwards with your voice, body and whip and make him trot or canter on, don't let him rear up - keep at him until he starts moving forwards.
Anyways, if you don't feel comfortable enough to deal with a rearing horse, please get somebody to break him of this habit pronto.