The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Creating a bandage for a horse's forearm/elbow area. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/creating-bandage-horses-forearm-elbow-area-99985/)

CopperHorse 10-09-2011 10:51 AM

Creating a bandage for a horse's forearm/elbow area.

I have a 5 month old filly whom ripped her forearm/elbow open yesterday morning on a cattle panel. Had the vet out to stitch her up but due to the location and lack of hide to restitch we decided it was best to leave it open. There was a good chance that if he stitched her up she would end up ripping it open again anyhow, making any scaring worse.
The problem I am running into is being able to apply a bandage to the area with Fura Zone ointment (vets recommendation till granulation occurs). I have come up with a sleeve/cover to keep it clean from debris but I cant get a wrap to stay securely without it sliding down her leg to the knee. I will try and post pictures later for everyone if it would help. Thanks in advance.

natisha 10-09-2011 11:07 AM

As you found out that is a tough area to keep bandaged. There are 2 ways that I know of that could work.
One way is to put your treated dressing on the wound, covered by a way bigger padded type dressing & wrap gauze around the upper leg, over the elbow area & over & around the barrel/girth area.Like a spica dressing/ cast. It can take some practice & will use a lot of material but it can be done. Careful not to get it too tight around the leg.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...7Agmbh_-fpDS1g
or tape it on with the stickiest tape you can get but not likely to last long.

Are you sure the area needs to be covered?

CopperHorse 10-09-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1195665)
As you found out that is a tough area to keep bandaged. There are 2 ways that I know of that could work.
One way is to put your treated dressing on the wound, covered by a way bigger padded type dressing & wrap gauze around the upper leg, over the elbow area & over & around the barrel/girth area.Like a spica dressing/ cast. It can take some practice & will use a lot of material but it can be done. Careful not to get it too tight around the leg.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...7Agmbh_-fpDS1g
or tape it on with the stickiest tape you can get but not likely to last long.

Are you sure the area needs to be covered?

For now yes it does need to be covered. I have been playing with the "spica dressing/cast" and I think I have that part figured out. Its just the dressing would not stay in place, LOL. I am going out now to wash and care for the wound and attempt to dress it again, will post pics as I wrap it. Thanks for the help.

CopperHorse 10-09-2011 01:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok Anyone who has a queezy stomach you need to STOP HERE. Graphic injury pics are attached!!

First pic is before I cleaned the wound (note this is day two of injury)

Second and third pics are after I cleaned the wound and ready to apply dressing.

Fourth pic is what I came up with for keeping the bandage with Fura Zone ointment in place.

Fifth pic is the outside bandage to hopefully keep it clean and keep bugs/flies away from it.

natisha 10-09-2011 03:59 PM

Bravo, I'd say you did a right handy job.
With your set up another option may be to line the inside of the shirt with dressing material, tape it to the cloth. ABD pads work well. Slather your ointment on the wound, put on the shirt & that should be enough to keep the wound clean. That may be better a little further in the healing process though.
Poor baby, but I think she'll heal just fine especially with your good care.

CopperHorse 10-09-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1195837)
Bravo, I'd say you did a right handy job.
With your set up another option may be to line the inside of the shirt with dressing material, tape it to the cloth. ABD pads work well. Slather your ointment on the wound, put on the shirt & that should be enough to keep the wound clean. That may be better a little further in the healing process though.
Poor baby, but I think she'll heal just fine especially with your good care.

Thank you! The shirt idea was actually my vet's idea. He said he had a client once before use a long sleeve shirt and it worked for them. I ended up cutting the long sleeve at about the elbow because it was just more then needed. It went all the way down to her fetlock, lol.