Can you ask for sliding/hard stops without sliding plates?

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Reining

Can you ask for sliding/hard stops without sliding plates?

This is a discussion on Can you ask for sliding/hard stops without sliding plates? within the Reining forums, part of the Western Riding category

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Green Broke
Can you ask for sliding/hard stops without sliding plates?

A curiosity question more than anything...

I know reiners have special back shoes to help them slide to a stop. But do you have to have plates to do sliding stops or even hard stops?

I know it helps, but is it required?
Sponsored Links
    04-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Sure you can. You won't get much of a slide but your horse might end up with bone spavin as mine did from me enjoying the slide without the proper footwear. No my horse is not sickle hocked at all, been 2 years since I asked for a sliding stop and the bone spavin set and is fine now.
    04-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Can you? Yes you CAN. Should you? NO. I do not ask any of my reining horses to slide with out sliders on. At the end of the day sliders do more then just make a big stop.
    04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Green Broke
Okay, thanks!

How do you ask for a sliding stop vs just a regular canter to halt transition? I've never understood how those reining cues worked for transitions...
    04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
That is something a person trained in the discipline of reining will have to show you. It is a series of steps and not something that should be learned on the internet through written instruction.
piglet likes this.
    04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Sliders not only enhance the length and 'prettyness' of a stop, they keep the horse from getting sore hocks, stifles and other hind leg lamnesses. Many calf ropers and heelers are now using a smaller slider than a reining trainers, but they have found that the extra 'give' and 'float' that a 7/8" or even 1" slider affords the horse is enough to help keep them sound.

The 'hard' stop where a horse is bracing with straight, stiff hocks to help him get stopped is so much harder on a horse than the stop where a horse's hocks are flexed and close to the ground and the front end is free and elevated enough for the horse to take a step or two even he is a calf roping horse.
franknbeans and COWCHICK77 like this.
    04-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Once again-well said Cherie.

OP-the fact that you are talking about canter-halt transitions tells me you really need to learn more about reining. Canter-halt, and doing it nicely, means not allowing the horse to "collapse" in the front. A sliding stop is WAY more than that, and, in western, it is not called canter, and what we do in reining-really not a "transition" in the same sense of the word at all.
    04-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Green Broke
I can't confidently comment on anything to do with reining, as I haven't gotten around to doing any of that yet, but I can comment on hard stops/sliding in general. Lucky had an amazing hard stop even though I rarely used it. I could afford an extra 2-3 strides to a halt for the most part, but it was there if it was needed for whatever reason. If it was "softer" footing, she'd slide maybe 10 feet, if not it was from canter to stop in about 3 feet. Since she has no shoes at all (let alone sliders), I didn't do it often, but every few weeks I'd do a couple in the arena to make sure she didn't "forget" she could, in fact, do it. I don't believe that once or twice a month will cause much damage if your horse is using his/herself correctly, but I agree with the others about it being hard on their hocks and such without the sliders.

I do have to disagree on it not being called a canter in western riding though..I, personally, have -never- used the word lope to describe any of the horses I've ridden. I've never even touched an english saddle, let alone rode in one or rode with english riders. Canter and lope are interchangeable, they both mean the same **** thing, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
    04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Canter is english, lope is western. Won me a command class of over 20 riders, they asked for a canter, anyone in western tack that loped was d'qed, western riders don't canter, they lope.
franknbeans and Army wife like this.
    04-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Green Broke
Tell me then, what exactly is the difference between a canter and a lope?
Posted via Mobile Device

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sliding Stops... BarrelBunny Reining 4 02-14-2012 10:22 PM
Sliding Stops? AllThePrettyHorses Reining 12 03-07-2011 06:09 PM
Sliding stops Michael Horse Training 9 08-11-2010 01:29 AM
Sliding Plates martisgirl Western Riding 1 06-14-2009 08:06 AM
Sliding Stops AKPaintLover Horse Training 11 08-14-2007 02:57 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0