Do you guys trail ride in skid boots? - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Do you guys trail ride in skid boots?

My trails are set up so that I've never had to stop my mare in anything other than loose dirt, but I'm starting endurance and will be riding on new trails. Should I put her in skid boots in case I have to stop her on a bad surface? Or will they just annoy her during the 25-100 miles?
CloudsMystique is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 513
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
My trails are set up so that I've never had to stop my mare in anything other than loose dirt, but I'm starting endurance and will be riding on new trails. Should I put her in skid boots in case I have to stop her on a bad surface? Or will they just annoy her during the 25-100 miles?
My trainer used to ride endurance and she never used anything on her horses legs. She was concerned taht dirt or stickers/twigs/debris could get caught inside the boot/wrap and cause irritation.

My blog ~Life and Horses~
Ktibb is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktibb View Post
My trainer used to ride endurance and she never used anything on her horses legs. She was concerned taht dirt or stickers/twigs/debris could get caught inside the boot/wrap and cause irritation.
Yeah, I suppose that could happen, but was her horse a reiner? I'd rather dirt/sticker/twig/debris get stuck in her boot than her get injured because she had to stop on rocky or otherwise unsafe terrain... if that's a common problem.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 513
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
Yeah, I suppose that could happen, but was her horse a reiner? I'd rather dirt/sticker/twig/debris get stuck in her boot than her get injured because she had to stop on rocky or otherwise unsafe terrain... if that's a common problem.
No, strictly trail/endurance. I doubt you'll have to come to a sliding stop while ridding an endurance race, but I don't know for sure as I've never done an endurance ride.

I'm sure it would hurt to hit the trail with them on, at least while practicing/conditioning and see how it works. You can always take them off if you don't end up needing them right?

My blog ~Life and Horses~
Ktibb is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktibb View Post
No, strictly trail/endurance. I doubt you'll have to come to a sliding stop while ridding an endurance race, but I don't know for sure as I've never done an endurance ride.

I'm sure it would hurt to hit the trail with them on, at least while practicing/conditioning and see how it works. You can always take them off if you don't end up needing them right?
I know I won't <b>have</b> to come to a sliding stop, but if I have to stop her for any reason she will slide. I'll mostly be trotting, though, and I don't think she could hurt herself stopping from a trot.

And yeah, that's true. I can always take them off.
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 513
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudsMystique View Post
I know I won't <b>have</b> to come to a sliding stop, but if I have to stop her for any reason she will slide. I'll mostly be trotting, though, and I don't think she could hurt herself stopping from a trot.

And yeah, that's true. I can always take them off.
Either way good for you for keeping your horse's health and well being in mind.

Keep us posted on your progress with endurance. I would love to know more about it.

My blog ~Life and Horses~
Ktibb is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktibb View Post
Either way good for you for keeping your horse's health and well being in mind.

Keep us posted on your progress with endurance. I would love to know more about it.
Thanks, I will : ]
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
First you will not have sliders on so your mare is not going to be doing 35 foot sliding stops. I do not use skids except for shows or when I am actually working on stopping. If I am out working a horse loping turns and such I have my skid boots on my saddle but not on the horse. Then when I get ready to work on stops I put them on. I have never needed them while trail riding. However when I am on the trails I work my speed down. I do not ask for a stop. If I am loping I make my horse trot then walk then stop. I have yet to need to stop a horse on the trails from a full out run with building speed like you do in reining. Even if it is a light lope it is not enough to really get a deep stop even with my reiners.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,245
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
First you will not have sliders on so your mare is not going to be doing 35 foot sliding stops. I do not use skids except for shows or when I am actually working on stopping. If I am out working a horse loping turns and such I have my skid boots on my saddle but not on the horse. Then when I get ready to work on stops I put them on. I have never needed them while trail riding. However when I am on the trails I work my speed down. I do not ask for a stop. If I am loping I make my horse trot then walk then stop. I have yet to need to stop a horse on the trails from a full out run with building speed like you do in reining. Even if it is a light lope it is not enough to really get a deep stop even with my reiners.
Thanks. So you don't think it'll be necessary if she's stopping at a slow speed with no sliders, even if the terrain is bad?
CloudsMystique is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
No I do not. Now you might want some back SMB boots. But I do not like riding especially trail riding is skid boots. They can rub they can get caught on things and cause problems. They are there to keep the horse from getting burns on the back of their legs. I have yet to see any of my trainers horses even have any boots on when trail riding. This is a fun relaxing time for the horses and have never had a problem. Plus if you go through water it can cause problems. Also if you are working hard for long periods of time it can cause a lot of heat which can be bad.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Splint boots and Skid Boots for sale or trade. nrhareiner Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 01-20-2010 11:33 AM
FS: Classic Equine Boots and Skid boots ; LTB: Tennesse walker Stuff!! BlackAmethyst Tack and Equipment Classifieds 16 12-26-2009 09:54 PM
Boots, boots, & more boots. Ariat lacers, cowboy boots, rubber boots; Mens/kids/women Seattle Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 12-09-2009 07:32 PM
horse boots for the trail snoggle Trail Riding 21 08-13-2009 02:28 PM
My brother's first trail ride :P (and ride) Zab Trail Riding 3 07-30-2009 02:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome