how to Spin? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Reining

how to Spin?

This is a discussion on how to Spin? within the Reining forums, part of the Western Riding category
  • How to correctly spin a horse with two hands

Like Tree79Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-10-2013, 08:53 PM
  #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
Don't give up just find someone local to give you a hand. Even if it is the prior owner.

There is just so much to teaching and then asking for a spin in a reining horse. Each one is different. Then to take it from the writen word to the physical can be hard. Been doing it for almost 20 years now and I have owned quite a few reiners over that time. Each one has been a bit different. Even when trained by the same person.
So true! My trainer friend and I ride together all the time and some of her horses step into the spin, some suck back.....I always ask her before I cue them now......'what buttons for this one?'
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-10-2013, 09:25 PM
  #12
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
Post the video.. ill point out your flaws and give some opinions.
Post a video of what? She can't get the horse to spin. Therefore the video would pretty much be of the horse standing there. And probably confusing it more. She needs on the ground help to tell her different things to try and see how the horse reacts, or someone who knows that horse. Us guessing will just create more issues that can be really hard to fix, especially with the spin.
Golden Horse and Muppetgirl like this.
     
    05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
  #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
Post a video of what? She can't get the horse to spin. Therefore the video would pretty much be of the horse standing there. And probably confusing it more. She needs on the ground help to tell her different things to try and see how the horse reacts, or someone who knows that horse. Us guessing will just create more issues that can be really hard to fix, especially with the spin.


Post a video of her trying to make the horse spin-- heck, I can tell you with in 10 seconds if the horse can even spin or if its mis cueing.. im going to go ahead and make an assumption anyway and say the horse can't spin-- even a miscued reining horse will spin half cocked.


She needs what on the ground? Lol. Were going to cause issues? I doubt it..
     
    05-10-2013, 10:12 PM
  #14
Foal
Dont give up, but what everyone is trying to say the best thing is to contact the old owner or ask a trainer for help.

I am lucky that where I do lessons my trainer has different horses that I ride all have shown and won money but I have yet to find a horse that spins the same way as another one. The best thing is they were all trained by the same trainer.

Some horses you have to apply both legs and neck rein then open up your inside leg a quarter in. Another horse I had to apply only inside leg back and neck rein then open up the inside leg. Another horse only need to open the leg and neck rein. Another horse its outside leg on outside rein back, inside rein up. Other horses do better if you create small circles and keep going until they step into the spin, but if doing this it could be different aids needed then from a stand still. And if the horse has shown reining you might use different aids at home schooling then at a show.

I also know my trainer can get on the gelding I am riding a successful show horse and he can ask one way, the horse knows the trainer is on him. I can get on him and ask the same way and he wont do it,I have to ask differently. But when I run him in a pattern he is totally different.

So please don't get upset or give up, just realize that there is no one correct answer to tell you how to spin.
     
    05-10-2013, 11:00 PM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
Post a video of her trying to make the horse spin-- heck, I can tell you with in 10 seconds if the horse can even spin or if its mis cueing.. im going to go ahead and make an assumption anyway and say the horse can't spin-- even a miscued reining horse will spin half cocked.


She needs what on the ground? Lol. Were going to cause issues? I doubt it..

Then you must have some type of special ESP. There is no way to watch a video of a horse and rider in which you have no idea of the riders ability and tell if a horse can or can not spin.

How do I know this? Many many years of owning and showing reiners. I have horses who can +1 1/2 a turn with an Open trainer +1 with a Rookie Pro trainer +1/2 with a green/rookie reiner and you can not get to even think about a turn with a green rider. My Dun It mare will not even move if you do not hit the correct cues. Does not mean she is not well trained. It just means if you do not cue her correctly you will get NOTHING out of her. No matter how hard you try.
     
    05-10-2013, 11:08 PM
  #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
Then you must have some type of special ESP. There is no way to watch a video of a horse and rider in which you have no idea of the riders ability and tell if a horse can or can not spin.

How do I know this? Many many years of owning and showing reiners. I have horses who can +1 1/2 a turn with an Open trainer +1 with a Rookie Pro trainer +1/2 with a green/rookie reiner and you can not get to even think about a turn with a green rider. My Dun It mare will not even move if you do not hit the correct cues. Does not mean she is not well trained. It just means if you do not cue her correctly you will get NOTHING out of her. No matter how hard you try.
I have special ESP to see whats right there in front of me? I had no idea.. cool.. I'm a psychic!

You own them but do you show them or have a trainer show them for you? I see the trophy but just curious-- not a lot of reining horse owners actually ride them- their trainers do all the work for them.. Nothin against it.


When I was real young I rode my first reiner and I had no idea what I was doing-- I could have him spinning in the middle of a ditch untill I puked, lol. Eventually even a beginner rider will hit the right switch.. that's all.
     
    05-10-2013, 11:22 PM
  #17
Trained
Yes I have shown reiners and have shown mine for almost 2 decades.

The fact is that you can not tell if a horse is trained to spin by watching a video of a rider that you know nothing about. The horse could be perfectly trained and still with not spin for a rider.

My Dun It mare is a prime example of this. If you do not know how to ride HER you will not get her to do anything. Not even walk forward. She will not do it it. The more you tri and fail the less she will give you. Does this mean she is a un trained reiner? No it means you need to know what you are doing to get her to perform. While my stallion will pack a rider around all day long until they find the correct cue and once they do he will do what they ask. Nothing more nothing less. Each horse has different cues for the same maneuver. One trained by me the other by my trainer. Then there is my Zan Freckles Hickory mare. She is right in the middle. She will not pack you around like Te does but she will not shut down like Cassie. Each horse has slitly different cues. One trained by me one trained by my trainer and one trained by me and my trainer.
     
    05-11-2013, 12:07 AM
  #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
Yes I have shown reiners and have shown mine for almost 2 decades.

The fact is that you can not tell if a horse is trained to spin by watching a video of a rider that you know nothing about. The horse could be perfectly trained and still with not spin for a rider.

My Dun It mare is a prime example of this. If you do not know how to ride HER you will not get her to do anything. Not even walk forward. She will not do it it. The more you tri and fail the less she will give you. Does this mean she is a un trained reiner? No it means you need to know what you are doing to get her to perform. While my stallion will pack a rider around all day long until they find the correct cue and once they do he will do what they ask. Nothing more nothing less. Each horse has different cues for the same maneuver. One trained by me the other by my trainer. Then there is my Zan Freckles Hickory mare. She is right in the middle. She will not pack you around like Te does but she will not shut down like Cassie. Each horse has slitly different cues. One trained by me one trained by my trainer and one trained by me and my trainer.
Awesome!

I just don't understand what the difference you think itll be if you were there in person or watching the same exact thing on a video-- I mean sure you can get on the horse and see for yourself but just watching her try in person wouldnt make any bit of difference.. youd be watchin the same exact thing..


I can respect a horse like that-- but my point is- im doubting the OPs horse is a professional level reining horse.. I think its probably been a trail horse or a ranch horse and knows some stuff but its not a full on professional reining horse is all. I've been on many ranch horses in my day and they could all spin-- the only difference is they use those reining moves for real work not a show that theyve been trained a pattern to. Nothin against it- I love reining!

Lol, would you say your dun it mare is 'anti theft'?
     
    05-11-2013, 06:57 AM
  #19
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
Awesome!

I just don't understand what the difference you think itll be if you were there in person or watching the same exact thing on a video-- I mean sure you can get on the horse and see for yourself but just watching her try in person wouldnt make any bit of difference.. youd be watchin the same exact thing..


I can respect a horse like that-- but my point is- im doubting the OPs horse is a professional level reining horse.. I think its probably been a trail horse or a ranch horse and knows some stuff but its not a full on professional reining horse is all. I've been on many ranch horses in my day and they could all spin-- the only difference is they use those reining moves for real work not a show that theyve been trained a pattern to. Nothin against it- I love reining!

Lol, would you say your dun it mare is 'anti theft'?
Let me try and 'splain it to you so you can understand. An actual human being there WITH the OP could probably get on the horse and try a few of the most common cues for the spin, then show the OP how to do it. Best case scenario of course is to get hold of the former owner.

I also think that there are different definitions of "spin". The "spin" of a ranch horse would most likely not get you far in the reining world. I think it is important for us to know from the OP what class she is looking to go in and spin. If it is reining-no way she can do it without professional help. If it is a play day or ranch type thing-she may be able to get away with a simplified version, that perhaps Toto with her clarvoyant powers could help with.

Those of us who ride TRAINED REINERS are not comfortable giving help on most maneuvers over the net because they need to be correct. Once you allow the horse to do them incorrectly it becomes many times more difficult to teach them to do it right. It is always advisable, in the case of trained reiners, to have a ton of experience, and/or a pro helping you. Period. There are NO shortcuts to a proper maneuver.
     
    05-11-2013, 09:48 AM
  #20
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by toto    
Awesome!

I just don't understand what the difference you think itll be if you were there in person or watching the same exact thing on a video-- I mean sure you can get on the horse and see for yourself but just watching her try in person wouldnt make any bit of difference.. youd be watchin the same exact thing..

The differance it that when you are watching in person you are seeing things in 3D vs 2D. You can move around the horse and watch from different angles and views. I am not limited to what the person behind the camera wants to show me.


Not to mention what has already been touched on. I can get on and ride the horse and see what is up.

I can respect a horse like that-- but my point is- im doubting the OPs horse is a professional level reining horse.. I think its probably been a trail horse or a ranch horse and knows some stuff but its not a full on professional reining horse is all. I've been on many ranch horses in my day and they could all spin-- the only difference is they use those reining moves for real work not a show that theyve been trained a pattern to. Nothin against it- I love reining!

First a reining horse is NEVER trained to a pattern. A well trained reining horse can easily go and do real work. At least all mine can. My Dun It mare along with my stallion and even my other mares have all be on cattle. Several have NRCHA earnings. Been ropped off of and so on. Some have actually worked feed lots and so on. These horses can do anything I want to do with them b/c they are well trained.

Lol, would you say your dun it mare is 'anti theft'?

For the most part ya. Although if you can ride a reiner and do a bit of work. She will put you on the money no matter what you show her in.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anybody spin their own yarn? Shoebox Hobbies 16 09-18-2012 10:36 PM
Training to spin LivingtoRide Horse Training 24 07-29-2012 11:37 PM
Speeding up the Spin kolson Reining 4 05-26-2011 05:50 PM
The Spin PaintingMissy Reining 4 02-08-2011 06:34 PM
Critique his spin? Waybueno Reining 15 08-12-2010 09:09 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0