how to Spin? - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Reining

how to Spin?

This is a discussion on how to Spin? within the Reining forums, part of the Western Riding category

    Like Tree79Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-12-2013, 03:47 PM
      #41
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franknbeans    
    Toto-Op did not explain WHAT quality of spin she wanted. Just because she is doing local stuff does not mean she doesn't want a quality spin. That was the purpose of my posts explaining the differences.

    Op-Personally I would doubt what has been suggested will work. Not from any of the trainers I know, but feel free to try it. Worst case-horse will stand there, just like now, I guess.


    She didnt say she wanted a quality spin either. She said she knows her horse can spin and she didnt know how to make her-- I told her a simple way to do it. I don't see you giving an opinion-- well I do but theyre all just like this one-- if you wanna argue me and stay on topic tell me that grabbin the horn gets you a five point penalty .. tell me somethin on topic.


    Lol, you doubt it will work yet you have no opinions of your own to help?


    OP, if this don't work I've got another suggestion..
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-12-2013, 03:52 PM
      #42
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    I have yet to see a reining horse cued this way. It would not work on any of the reiners I have ever owned or ridden and the list is quite long.
    I've ridden quite a few reining horses that were cued this way. Pressure on the outside leg and tapping with the inside. Others youd leave inside opened. I tap for speed, or cluck.. either or


    What would you do?
         
        05-12-2013, 04:02 PM
      #43
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    She didnt say she wanted a quality spin either. She said she knows her horse can spin and she didnt know how to make her-- I told her a simple way to do it. I don't see you giving an opinion-- well I do but theyre all just like this one-- if you wanna argue me and stay on topic tell me that grabbin the horn gets you a five point penalty .. tell me somethin on topic.


    Lol, you doubt it will work yet you have no opinions of your own to help?


    OP, if this don't work I've got another suggestion..
    Toto-Several of us have stated we will NOT give an opinion, and we have stated MORE than enough times the reason why.

    NRHA-that must be how they do it wherever Toto is. Not in any of the USA where we are, since that is a totally new one on me.

    I am done. Toto can argue with herself, and Op can try whatever she likes. Best advise-get a trainer to help you.
    nrhareiner and Muppetgirl like this.
         
        05-12-2013, 04:15 PM
      #44
    Trained
    I agree. I am not going to give an opinion on this as I do not have enough info. Plus at the end of the day there is no way to actually tell somone how to do something with out being there and watching what they are doing at THAT given moment. It is not just pushing on the out side and opening the inside or what ever you may want to say. It is the PLACEMENT of the leg on the outside and the inside. That is why I stated when my friend was riding she was getting the correct cues but not in the correct spot. This is why I moved her leg so she could feel where the corrrect spot was. Once she got what it felt like she progressed well considering. Am hopping her scedual allows her to come again this summer and see if she remembers. However not sure that will happen.

    OP> Anyway. Best bet is to get pro help or at least the old owner and have them watch you ride.
    franknbeans and Muppetgirl like this.
         
        05-12-2013, 07:19 PM
      #45
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    I have yet to see a reining horse cued this way. It would not work on any of the reiners I have ever owned or ridden and the list is quite long.
    Agreed, I've ridden a handful of reiners, both rusty and in show shape, not single one would have responded to those ques. My trainer probably would pull me off the horse and smacked me
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        05-12-2013, 10:16 PM
      #46
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franknbeans    
    Toto-Several of us have stated we will NOT give an opinion, and we have stated MORE than enough times the reason why.

    NRHA-that must be how they do it wherever Toto is. Not in any of the USA where we are, since that is a totally new one on me.

    I am done. Toto can argue with herself, and Op can try whatever she likes. Best advise-get a trainer to help you.
    You get a 5 point deduction for touchin the saddle or the horse durring your run, lol. Why do you think they hold their hands up so the judges can see it?


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    I agree. I am not going to give an opinion on this as I do not have enough info. Plus at the end of the day there is no way to actually tell somone how to do something with out being there and watching what they are doing at THAT given moment. It is not just pushing on the out side and opening the inside or what ever you may want to say. It is the PLACEMENT of the leg on the outside and the inside. That is why I stated when my friend was riding she was getting the correct cues but not in the correct spot. This is why I moved her leg so she could feel where the corrrect spot was. Once she got what it felt like she progressed well considering. Am hopping her scedual allows her to come again this summer and see if she remembers. However not sure that will happen.

    OP> Anyway. Best bet is to get pro help or at least the old owner and have them watch you ride.

    I know anything is possible-- but is it really possible to do as I just said and still be straight as an arrow on the horse? Even after grabbing the horn? Im pretty sure the body would go along with it.. or maybe not.. im not a people trainer-- I can only tell some one how id do it and answer any further questions.. I was going to say try to bite your ear- but I didnt want OP to fall off in the spin.

    Not to be a butt-- but you just gave somewhat of an opinion.. if the OP don't get it now- it aint happenin. Sorry.

    It tickels me that you actually had to place the leg for your friend.. not even makin fun- you're a good friend.. ida told mine to 'figure it out'
         
        05-12-2013, 11:24 PM
      #47
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    



    I know anything is possible-- but is it really possible to do as I just said and still be straight as an arrow on the horse? Even after grabbing the horn? Im pretty sure the body would go along with it.. or maybe not.. im not a people trainer-- I can only tell some one how id do it and answer any further questions.. I was going to say try to bite your ear- but I didnt want OP to fall off in the spin.

    Not sure what you are getting at here so I will not comment.

    Not to be a butt-- but you just gave somewhat of an opinion.. if the OP don't get it now- it aint happenin. Sorry.

    I may have given an opinion on the fact that I have never seen it done that way is almost 20 years of breeding and showing reining and reined cow horses.

    It tickels me that you actually had to place the leg for your friend.. not even makin fun- you're a good friend.. ida told mine to 'figure it out'
    Why should I wast my time and even more important her time and the frustration of my mare and make her figure it out when it is very simple to walk up and move her leg an inch and say now ask with your leg here vs where it was and see and even more feel the differance? Fact is that she learned more in about 3 days of riding reiners them most people learn in 3 months. The fact that she was sitting on a well trained very proven mare with guidance right there next to her giving very exacting info at the monent that it was needed moved things along quicker then if I had just said figure it out. Fact is that she probably would never have figured it out. Having watched the video of her riding through out this time you could not see what she was doing wrong in the turns. In the video it looked good for the most part at that point. Now on some of the other things she was doing the video came in handy to point out problems and more then that for her to put a picture with a feel. This is where I find video taping to come in very handy.
    franknbeans and Muppetgirl like this.
         
        05-13-2013, 12:05 AM
      #48
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    Why should I wast my time and even more important her time and the frustration of my mare and make her figure it out when it is very simple to walk up and move her leg an inch and say now ask with your leg here vs where it was and see and even more feel the differance? Fact is that she learned more in about 3 days of riding reiners them most people learn in 3 months. The fact that she was sitting on a well trained very proven mare with guidance right there next to her giving very exacting info at the monent that it was needed moved things along quicker then if I had just said figure it out. Fact is that she probably would never have figured it out. Having watched the video of her riding through out this time you could not see what she was doing wrong in the turns. In the video it looked good for the most part at that point. Now on some of the other things she was doing the video came in handy to point out problems and more then that for her to put a picture with a feel. This is where I find video taping to come in very handy.

    What I was gettin at is-- can the body still be straight as an arrow if cueing right? In order for me to be able to hold pressure on the outside (left) leg and tap with the (right) inside leg-- or keep open- with the reins in my right hand (turning right) and looking where I want my horse to go (to the right) I have to have my hips (cocked) to conform to the horses body and the movement to the right.. if even a beginner did this would they not automatically move the hips in such a way too? (like im going to do a leg yeild)


    Wait- you ride nrcha too? very awesome!



    Your mare the one that won the trophy? ..is she a palomino? if its who I think it is- im going to poop my pants!! I love her.. I think!


    What flaws could the video show that excluded spins? Was it because of the angle of the video?
         
        05-13-2013, 01:19 AM
      #49
    Banned
    Toto, I see you have been on this board for a total of two months. I have some advise, wait until you know people, as you are criticizing some of the people I would go to for advise if I was interested or riding western. I think you are making an error as you have not been around for long enough to know - and if I did that, I'd want a heads up.
    Muppetgirl and toto like this.
         
        05-13-2013, 01:33 AM
      #50
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlexS    
    Toto, I see you have been on this board for a total of two months. I have some advise, wait until you know people, as you are criticizing some of the people I would go to for advise if I was interested or riding western. I think you are making an error as you have not been around for long enough to know - and if I did that, I'd want a heads up.


    I've got nothin to prove to anyone-- im respectful even when insulted.

    I don't even know what you're talkin about?


    I don't come here talkin out my.. butt.. if im cocky its because I know what im doin and im good at it-- I know the people that have been here a long time want to have a go with me today and that's fine. Ill never put myself in a situation I can't handle. I can swim- throw me in the deep end!





    .
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Does anybody spin their own yarn? Shoebox Hobbies 16 09-18-2012 10:36 PM
    Training to spin LivingtoRide Horse Training 24 07-29-2012 11:37 PM
    Speeding up the Spin kolson Reining 4 05-26-2011 05:50 PM
    The Spin PaintingMissy Reining 4 02-08-2011 06:34 PM
    Critique his spin? Waybueno Reining 15 08-12-2010 09:09 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:55 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0