how to Spin? - Page 6
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Reining

how to Spin?

This is a discussion on how to Spin? within the Reining forums, part of the Western Riding category

    Like Tree79Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-13-2013, 06:21 AM
      #51
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    You get a 5 point deduction for touchin the saddle or the horse during your run, lol. Why do you think they hold their hands up so the judges can see it? Why do you keep bringing this up? Most of us here in the REINING thread aren't grabbing the horn and know how to hold our hands I think. This is not the beginner western thread 101.





    I know anything is possible-- but is it really possible to do as I just said and still be straight as an arrow on the horse? Probably not for you, but if you ride it correctly, yeah.Even after grabbing the horn? Im pretty sure the body would go along with it.. or maybe not.. im not a people trainer-- I can only tell some one how id do it and answer any further questions.. I was going to say try to bite your ear- but I didnt want OP to fall off in the spin. Huh? I doubt OP can get her horse going that fast, and if she falls off turning slowly, she needs to go back and work on balance.

    Not to be a butt-- but you just gave somewhat of an opinion.. if the OP don't get it now- it aint happenin. Sorry.

    It tickels me that you actually had to place the leg for your friend.. not even makin fun- you're a good friend.. ida told mine to 'figure it out'
    FYI-Toto-Alex has a good point.
    AlexS and Muppetgirl like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-13-2013, 09:26 AM
      #52
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    What I was gettin at is-- can the body still be straight as an arrow if cueing right? In order for me to be able to hold pressure on the outside (left) leg and tap with the (right) inside leg-- or keep open- with the reins in my right hand (turning right) and looking where I want my horse to go (to the right) I have to have my hips (cocked) to conform to the horses body and the movement to the right.. if even a beginner did this would they not automatically move the hips in such a way too? (like im going to do a leg yeild)

    Not necisaraly. Again each person is different and each horse is different and what I can see in person and what you can see in a video can be 2 very different things. I have already given one example. I even went back and dug out the video last night and watched it again to see if I could actually see what was going wrong on the video which I could see and fixed in real time. I could not. I even knew what she was doing wrong and could not see it. Now maybe if I had set up 2 or 3 cameras at differnet areas them maybe.


    Wait- you ride nrcha too? very awesome!


    Ya why not. The shows are here and my horses are very well trained. Takes very little added work to show NRCHA and win.


    Your mare the one that won the trophy? ..is she a palomino? if its who I think it is- im going to poop my pants!! I love her.. I think!

    She has won many trophies. Both in NRHA and NRCHA. Many year end awards. No she is a Dun. Her full brother is a pally.


    What flaws could the video show that excluded spins? Was it because of the angle of the video?
    Not sure exactly what you are asking here. I videoed her doing more then just turns. Turns where not the only thing I was showing her. Only thing she really did not get to do was the big stops as she was not ready for that. She probably would have come off and I did not want that so did not get to that.
    Muppetgirl and toto like this.
         
        05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
      #53
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franknbeans    
    FYI-Toto-Alex has a good point.

    Why did I bring up a few point deductible infractions? Because how do you not know that? Lol. You're a reiner.. or you claim to be.



    I know you think I should respect you because you have seniority over me on this forum- and I do respect everyone here- till they give me a reason not too.. kinda like you're doin now. You tell me im dead wrong but can't give any input on the situation yourself.. I can't make myself respect that.

    Guess you can like every time someone debates against me-- and ill go back to having a conversation about spinnin with the person that knows what theyre talkin about.
         
        05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
      #54
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    Not sure exactly what you are asking here. I videoed her doing more then just turns. Turns where not the only thing I was showing her. Only thing she really did not get to do was the big stops as she was not ready for that. She probably would have come off and I did not want that so did not get to that.



    That is true- individuality does take a big roll in it I guess. I've always just kinda got it though so I assume others will too. I try and explain in a way that everyone can understand. I thought entailing the (sidepass) position would help with the angle of the hips and body?

    I wanna see that video soo bad! I understand you can't show it do to privacy reasons though. I can respect that. I think it would be pretty educational information.


    Lucky! id have to drive for miles to get to the local nrcha shows- none close by me. I have to drive for miles to get to the nrha shows.. or the local rodeo.
         
        05-13-2013, 03:01 PM
      #55
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    That is true- individuality does take a big roll in it I guess. I've always just kinda got it though so I assume others will too. I try and explain in a way that everyone can understand. I thought entailing the (sidepass) position would help with the angle of the hips and body?


    The side pass puts the horse in more of a proper position then it does the rider. Again for a rookie reiner/rider it comes down to getting all the parts of the cue correct. This is the problem with just doing off the video. WHile one part of the cue might look correct the others could be very wrong and there is no way to see every single aspect of what the rider is doing.

    I wanna see that video soo bad! I understand you can't show it do to privacy reasons though. I can respect that. I think it would be pretty educational information.

    Ya I can not show it for several reasons but the main reason is b/c of who it is no one else has seen it. Not even the vast majority of my family. Just will not do that. I have a bunch of pictures and videos from my years in the entertainment industry that just sit in boxes b/c I made promisses that I will not go back on.

    Lucky! id have to drive for miles to get to the local nrcha shows- none close by me. I have to drive for miles to get to the nrha shows.. or the local rodeo.
    Being in the area I am in I can hit an NRHA or NRCHA or even an AQHA show every weekend with out having to drive more then a few hours.
    toto likes this.
         
        05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
      #56
    Trained
    Toto, if you stop poking the fire the flames will die down.

    I know the people on here that I will listen to advice from, I know the people who simply give wrong or dangerous advice, and some I'm still wondering about.

    What I know about reining you can write in thick felt tip on top of my saddle horn, but I know that NHR, Frank and Muppet will be my go to people when I start, because I have seen the knowledgeable answers that they give to people.
         
        05-13-2013, 03:20 PM
      #57
    Super Moderator
    Please put the "ignore" feature to good use if you think that someone is stalking you.


    I read, rather skimmed , this thread and I do not see what is to be lost by having the OP post her video for internet critique/advice. Yes, optimal is to have someone there to help her, and to teach her and the horse the correct spin, so that no bad habits must be unlearned later (assuming the OP does wish to learn reining in the so-called "correct" manner, and perhaps compete)

    She has said she does not have access to a trainer, and is asking for suggestions. I get the feeling this person is not going to compete reining, so anything reasonable will be an improvement over her trying to learn by the "guess" method.

    We critique riding videos all the time and hazard guessses as to whether it's rider error or horse ignorance of training. We know that it's almost always rider error. Though we might not be clairvoyant, we can often see the most obvious problems from a video alone, and if we see something that's obvious to us, but the rider has not seen yet, then we CAN be of help to them.
    Isn't that what this is all about?
    toto likes this.
         
        05-13-2013, 03:26 PM
      #58
    Trained
    Fact is that you do not see it in the reining section as there are very few of us reiners who will give advice from a simple video. Not unless it is so blantent that it can not be missed like the horse is over bending and such. Problem is that with reining there are so many little things that go into it and can mess up a horse even if all you want is to do it for fun. A horse can get injured when not turning correctly. I think this for me is the biggest part of not liking to give advice over the net to someone I do not know.
         
        05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
      #59
    Super Moderator
    So, OP, now you have to decide if you just want to "mess around" with this spinning, or do you want to take the time and effort and money to do it right?

    If you were to clarify that, then you might be able to get either advice from those who also mess around with spins, or maybe some advice from real reiners, with the caveat that it's very limited without the real 3D hands on of an in-person trainer.
    franknbeans likes this.
         
        05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
      #60
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toto    
    Why did I bring up a few point deductible infractions? Because how do you not know that? Lol. You're a reiner.. or you claim to be.

    I never said I didn't know it. You are assuming I don't. You probably shouldn't be making assumptions.

    I know you think I should respect you because you have seniority over me on this forum- and I do respect everyone here- till they give me a reason not too.. kinda like you're doin now. You tell me im dead wrong but can't give any input on the situation yourself.. I can't make myself respect that. I could not care less if you respect me or not. Honestly. I am very comfortable in my knowledge, and have nothing to prove. I also know when it is better NOT to give advise and have stated CLEARLY why not.

    Guess you can like every time someone debates against me-- and ill go back to having a conversation about spinnin with the person that knows what theyre talkin about.
    You would need to find one who would listen.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Does anybody spin their own yarn? Shoebox Hobbies 16 09-18-2012 10:36 PM
    Training to spin LivingtoRide Horse Training 24 07-29-2012 11:37 PM
    Speeding up the Spin kolson Reining 4 05-26-2011 05:50 PM
    The Spin PaintingMissy Reining 4 02-08-2011 06:34 PM
    Critique his spin? Waybueno Reining 15 08-12-2010 09:09 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0