Meet my horse Peppy Doc Gold!! Would love input - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Reining

Meet my horse Peppy Doc Gold!! Would love input

This is a discussion on Meet my horse Peppy Doc Gold!! Would love input within the Reining forums, part of the Western Riding category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
      #11
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rawlo    
    Hi Kalee,

    I have just purchased my mare and she hasn't done any reining at all! She has only done Junior eventing & a bit of pony club...I bought her only a week before Christmas 2010 so she is very new! She's only had half a dozen rides over the last 3 years so when I jumped on I thought if I was going to see any dirt it would be then...but she didn't do anything and she is very leg responsive...I just need to slow her down because she to is rushing about.
    If you do lots of slow work as I am...walk, halt, trot, holt and if response is slow in either gate back a few steps, your boy will start responding to you, I'm also working on turns getting the basics set in place to get my mare to understand to tuck her bum in and bring her front around...she was such a log but she is now slowly starting to understand and your boy sounds quite accomplished with the spin but remember that lots and lots of ground work is needed also!
    As far as your question about building muscle trot work is very good for correct muscle as is swiming and will help your boy balance up...question, how is your balance...have you ever had someone tell you how your actions are speaking through to your horse...if your seat / balance is off that will comunicate down to your horse...for example your horse in particular should be very responsive to how heavy you sit in the saddle, he should change direction for you just through a simple wieght change from you. My Mare is very responsive in this way and to leg I'm happy with the way she is picking up the basics to start reining for never ever doing anything of this nature before so I'm really just poking about with her to see how she picks things up, it's a slow process but perseverance will see you where you want to go...above all don't get frustrated enjoy every moment and your horse/horses will to.
    Beth (",)
    I know about the balance and how to use your body. Peppy does a hard stop without me using rein, switch directions cause of seat, bend using my seat etc. I can do all of that except at a lope, well besides stopping he does that at a canter, but as far as bending and changing directions. He is taught how to do flying changes with seat but he isn't at that point yet. I use my seat to help him pick up the right lead as well, I just can't get him to bend when I ask for the lope he fights really bad. I think that's just too hard for him right now hence why I want to get him to build muscle.

    Thanks for all the help. Sounds like you and your mare are doing great!!
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lahorsewhisperer    
    Oh also I have another Idea that in a round about way has helped me get my horse responsive to my seat! Here it is- First of all I love Clinton Anderson and his training techniques and this is one of them, He teaches how to do a one rein stop, now even if you can stop your horse and slide this will help him to start paying attention to your seat, because before you pick up the reins to stop you count to three slowly and relax and sit down in your saddle, then you stop you can just stop normal or you can one rein it, I do both depending on the horse if he is still going just as fast as he was before I sat then I one rein stop but if he slows down a hair I just stop using both reins. For me doing this at first was about getting him to learn to one rein stop in case I ever needed it, but I began noticing that he really started paying attention to my seat and my body, I can just exhale and sit back and he will slow down according to how much I relaxed. Now my horse hasn't been taught to spin or slide but we can make the prettiest fast and slow circles you have ever seen with out me touching my reins. And as the previous person stated Trotting work really helps to build muscle! Do you do any ground work with him?
    I love Clinton Anderson too, and do a lot of similar stuff. I have done lots of one reins, and so on. Also he does groundwork great, just need to keep building off of that. I would love to have clintons new dvd sets he just came out with, but I don't have that kind of extra money. But yeah we got all of that covered!!! Would it help to do jogging and make him extend into a larger trot maybe??? Like do a bunch of changes like that?

    Thanks
         
        01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaleebreann    
    I love Clinton Anderson too, and do a lot of similar stuff. I have done lots of one reins, and so on. Also he does groundwork great, just need to keep building off of that. I would love to have clintons new dvd sets he just came out with, but I don't have that kind of extra money. But yeah we got all of that covered!!! Would it help to do jogging and make him extend into a larger trot maybe??? Like do a bunch of changes like that?

    Thanks
    Oooh I know I so want his new set! But I don't have the extra money either. Lol. Transitions are key, for me I would focus on collection, which gets his hindquarter under him and ask him to push from them, the extended trot/jog for me would be a "release" from the collection, allowing him to stretch out, then put him back into a collected gate, just make sure you are helping him drive from behind when you have him collected up. That's just my opinion. Also maybe incorporate some ground poles into your routine they will help him use his body a little more. I also like to do a lot of figure eights and direction changes, along with some rollbacks thrown into the equation. Do you do rollbacks with him?
         
        01-19-2011, 10:59 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Maybe one other thing that we have failed to ask or mention is his diet? What are you feeding?
         
        01-19-2011, 11:07 PM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lahorsewhisperer    
    Maybe one other thing that we have failed to ask or mention is his diet? What are you feeding?

    I do lots or rollbacks, but mainly in the lope. He does those very nicely, in the jog as well. How do I make him engage his hind? I havent really learned how to engage his hind, I know he is on his hind though. I have holes in my training. I can tell the difference from being on the hind and being on the front for sure.

    He has a really good diet. Always give him what he needs. He gets really good quality timothy hay, one heavy flake each meal. I have switched his grain a couple times, haven't found what I liked. Right now he is on tammy's mix which was recommended to me, high in fat etc. He gets rice bran, flax seed, electrolytes, and oil. Oh and bet pulp when I make it.
         
        01-19-2011, 11:22 PM
      #16
    Foal
    We're doing ok...we're a long way off doing anything that even remotely looks like we know what we're doing but I'm treating every step like she's a young horse learning, and reward everything she does right...I don't push her, I want her to enjoy the learning process.
    Try this link there is lots of info from various reiners, some you may know, some you may not know but you can use there advise on your own personal journey and it's all shown to you so you can see how it works...it's for all levels and I've put some of what I've seen into practise and everything I've tried has worked...even on my very green mare...take a look as it might help you.
    Horse Training and Horse Training Tips

    All the best

    Beth (",)
         
        01-20-2011, 12:13 AM
      #17
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaleebreann    
    I do lots or rollbacks, but mainly in the lope. He does those very nicely, in the jog as well. How do I make him engage his hind? I havent really learned how to engage his hind, I know he is on his hind though. I have holes in my training. I can tell the difference from being on the hind and being on the front for sure.
    Ok, so I'm not sure if I am the best at describing how to do this but here we go, you want light contact with your horses mouth getting him on the bit, then you drive him forward from you seat and using your leg to send him forward, hold steady light contact with his mouth, just enough that he isn't getting to fast but he is forward moving and has a nice arc over his entire body, but not so much contact that he is bracing and being to choppy at the jog. I hope that makes sense...
         
        01-20-2011, 01:16 AM
      #18
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lahorsewhisperer    
    Ok, so I'm not sure if I am the best at describing how to do this but here we go, you want light contact with your horses mouth getting him on the bit, then you drive him forward from you seat and using your leg to send him forward, hold steady light contact with his mouth, just enough that he isn't getting to fast but he is forward moving and has a nice arc over his entire body, but not so much contact that he is bracing and being to choppy at the jog. I hope that makes sense...
    Ok so that is what I do in dressage. Gotcha. Is it any different for a western horse?? Maybe like not as much contact?
         
        01-20-2011, 01:18 AM
      #19
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rawlo    
    We're doing ok...we're a long way off doing anything that even remotely looks like we know what we're doing but I'm treating every step like she's a young horse learning, and reward everything she does right...I don't push her, I want her to enjoy the learning process.
    Try this link there is lots of info from various reiners, some you may know, some you may not know but you can use there advise on your own personal journey and it's all shown to you so you can see how it works...it's for all levels and I've put some of what I've seen into practise and everything I've tried has worked...even on my very green mare...take a look as it might help you.
    Horse Training and Horse Training Tips

    All the best

    Beth (",)
    Thanks so much!! I will definitely take a look at it! Good luck with your horse, you will get there.
         
        01-20-2011, 01:31 AM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaleebreann    
    Ok so that is what I do in dressage. Gotcha. Is it any different for a western horse?? Maybe like not as much contact?
    Yes. And I don't consider it any different for a western horse, except for the fact that yes you want to try and achieve this with the least amount of pressure you can, for the simple fact you can't keep hold of him in a reining pattern like you can a dressage horse in a dressage test..
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I need someone advice/input on this horse? poultrygirl Horse Talk 37 10-09-2010 12:32 AM
    How much would a Peppy San Badger great-grandfilly be worth? ArticDream Horse Breeding 8 06-05-2010 02:36 PM
    GoGo Peppy Pines RogueMare Horse Riding Critique 8 02-18-2010 05:59 PM
    Gorgeous deep gold '09 palomino TB filly by Guaranteed Gold! TrueColours Horses for Sale 8 12-14-2009 02:54 PM
    It's long but I would love your input please!! draftlover215 Horse Training 10 06-01-2009 03:48 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0