teaching a horse to do the basics of reining - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Reining

teaching a horse to do the basics of reining

This is a discussion on teaching a horse to do the basics of reining within the Reining forums, part of the Western Riding category
  • Powered by myBB horse riding basics
  • How to put a reining handle on a horse

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
  #21
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
And what are you to do if a trainer is not available, or you can't afford one, etc? Just stagnate? Shoot, I have to drive 40 minutes just to be at a barn where I can ride western! Some of us are just trying to do the best we can with the resources available. And, are able to know when to ask for help and not be ashamed to.
Oh to only have to drive 40 min to my trainer. He is about 4 hours.

The difference is that you have been with a reining trainer in the past. If you ask a question and I ask for more info like what is he doing you are going to be-able to give me more info. When I say then you need to side pass him and then turn him to help get him on the correct pivot you are most likely going to know what I am talking about. How much bend it too much. If you say you are having a problem with turns and on the correct foot I can ask how much bend do you have in your horse and you should be able to tell in like anouther reiner would. This is a big difference. You have at least an idea of what I am referring too.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-26-2011, 01:48 PM
  #22
Foal
I'm not being rude here just trying to understand that if a horse gets passed from owner to owner and even trainers wouldn't that in itself confuse a horse? Like mine apparently is...lol This is in response that she may be ruining or confusing a horse. I ride my horse the way I ride, then my coach gets on or my hubby. I'm getting confused myself..lol.
     
    01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
Oh to only have to drive 40 min to my trainer. He is about 4 hours.

The difference is that you have been with a reining trainer in the past. If you ask a question and I ask for more info like what is he doing you are going to be-able to give me more info. When I say then you need to side pass him and then turn him to help get him on the correct pivot you are most likely going to know what I am talking about. How much bend it too much. If you say you are having a problem with turns and on the correct foot I can ask how much bend do you have in your horse and you should be able to tell in like anouther reiner would. This is a big difference. You have at least an idea of what I am referring too.
Thanks-yeah, I have spent lots of time trying to learn. Soaking up stuff like a sponge. There really IS no trainer available in VA when I am there in the winter. That is what is frustrating me, and I am concerned that I will mess up the training that is there, because I know I don't know enough. The 40 minutes is just to get to a non-english place..where they won't look at me like an alien! There IS a trainer, about 50 miles, but like I said-the top ones won't take my horse. So, here I am...living vicariously thru my best friend, who has one in training at a top facility.
The trainer I have is in NY, where I am in the summer....and he is great, but SLOW....I am not getting any younger!
     
    01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
  #24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyGoBob    
I meant I know what the correct way feels like. Why are you guys so friggin rude sometimes?
I wasnt being rude. Just honest.

Huge difference...it would be obvious if I were purposefully trying to be rude :)
     
    01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
  #25
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
And what are you to do if a trainer is not available, or you can't afford one, etc? Just stagnate? Shoot, I have to drive 40 minutes just to be at a barn where I can ride western! Some of us are just trying to do the best we can with the resources available. And, are able to know when to ask for help and not be ashamed to.

Thank you.
     
    01-26-2011, 04:54 PM
  #26
Banned
So.....?
     
    01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
  #27
Weanling
So, nevermind. I wanted confermation on not all reiners train their horses the same. I'm not training this horse to rein, I'm training this horse the reining basics. Just because the owner wants that kind of a handle on the horse. And when someone says does your horse have too much bend I can say yesy or not, When someone says is your horse shying out of the turn I can tell them. I don't know all (hints to why I asked) but I do know some.

And yes, some of you were just down right rude in the way you said things weather you meant to or not.

So, I will figure this out on my own. If the lasy who owns the horse wants a reining horse handle I will go to someone else for knowledge because instead of getting knowledge I'm getting 'Don't try it you'll screw up the horse and Ask a trainer" I get it, I need to learn reining before trying to train a reining horse but some of us aren't rolling in it.

So, moral of the story, nevrmind.
     
    01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
  #28
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyGoBob    
so, nevermind. I wanted confermation on not all reiners train their horses the same. I'm not training this horse to rein, I'm training this horse the reining basics. Just because the owner wants that kind of a handle on the horse. And when someone says does your horse have too much bend I can say yesy or not, When someone says is your horse shying out of the turn I can tell them. I don't know all (hints to why I asked) but I do know some.

And yes, some of you were just down right rude in the way you said things weather you meant to or not.

So, I will figure this out on my own. If the lasy who owns the horse wants a reining horse handle I will go to someone else for knowledge because instead of getting knowledge I'm getting 'Don't try it you'll screw up the horse and Ask a trainer" I get it, I need to learn reining before trying to train a reining horse but some of us aren't rolling in it.

So, moral of the story, nevrmind.
I will never understand why people start a thread on a public forum asking for help, then when the receive honest, good advice, they "freak" because someone questions their ability, or says something they don't want to hear. You think this is rude? How do you think someone would handle this in real life?

You stated this horse had been to reining training, and the lady wants you to continue it. Do you think your are capable of progressing this horse?

I've worked under a champion cutter, and I by no means think Im qualified to train one. Theres no shame in admitting where you are lacking. People will respect you for it, vs. the attitude youve takien in this thread.
     
    01-26-2011, 07:56 PM
  #29
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streakin    
I will never understand why people start a thread on a public forum asking for help, then when the receive honest, good advice, they "freak" because someone questions their ability, or says something they don't want to hear. You think this is rude? How do you think someone would handle this in real life?

You stated this horse had been to reining training, and the lady wants you to continue it. Do you think your are capable of progressing this horse?

I've worked under a champion cutter, and I by no means think Im qualified to train one. Theres no shame in admitting where you are lacking. People will respect you for it, vs. the attitude youve takien in this thread.
I welcomed the opinions and from the begining I said I wasn't good. And I also said I don't think I could train a competitive reiner, I know I couldn't. But I also know I'm not stupid and I know how to put a handle on one. My question from the begining was : Did I have the cues correct. As in are those common cues that reiners use. That's it, and people had to go all you can't do this on me. This is real life. You guys are certainly being real. I think I am capable of progressing this horse, not finishing it by no means, but progressing it yes. The only honest good advice I got was to get a trainer and I can't. That isn't an option.
     
    01-26-2011, 08:17 PM
  #30
Banned
I do have basic knowledge of the things you mentioned, but I feel that there are others more suitable to answer your question. :)

Hopefully you will get your answers

(its a personal peeve of mine when posters post on a subject they know nothing about LOL)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teaching the basics to adult beginners MN Tigerstripes Horse Riding 16 10-21-2010 10:08 AM
Advice on basics and Reining tips please...very important? sensationalreflection Horse Training 3 10-04-2010 07:25 AM
Teaching my horse to be a reining horse? RiddingRawhide Reining 15 09-06-2010 12:06 PM
Basics of having a horse Marielw Horse Riding 14 03-17-2010 10:47 AM
Best bit for teaching neck reining? dynamite. Horse Tack and Equipment 3 09-22-2009 07:56 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0