Time to buy new "stuff"-need advice - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Thanks! Just ordered a pair to try. They look great and if they help with the sand issue that would be good! Priced well too!

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 25 Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 219
• Horses: 2
I'm just getting into reining, and have been going through the learning curve... like anyone I don't like wasting money on equipment that doesn't work well.

Another boot to try is the Pegasus Airboot. It does a great job keeping dirt and sand out while also reducing the heat that other boots seem to build up. Price isn't much different from Prof Choice or other mainstream brands.

What I really like about them is the ease of putting them on. There aren't a bunch of straps to deal with that you can inadvertently over tighten or get different pressure on the tendon based on different strap tightness. It has a Velcro attachment that runs the length of the boot for a uniform pressure and then has a support strap for the fetlock. They even have an easy way to line them up while fastening to get the right fit. No guessing.

They've been gaining popularity with eventers and cowboy mounted shooting. I ran across them from some of my eventer friends who use them in dressage to jumping. Honestly just a durable easy to use boot that actually performs the way they claim it does.
KarrotKreek is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrotKreek View Post
I'm just getting into reining, and have been going through the learning curve... like anyone I don't like wasting money on equipment that doesn't work well.

Another boot to try is the Pegasus Airboot. It does a great job keeping dirt and sand out while also reducing the heat that other boots seem to build up. Price isn't much different from Prof Choice or other mainstream brands.

What I really like about them is the ease of putting them on. There aren't a bunch of straps to deal with that you can inadvertently over tighten or get different pressure on the tendon based on different strap tightness. It has a Velcro attachment that runs the length of the boot for a uniform pressure and then has a support strap for the fetlock. They even have an easy way to line them up while fastening to get the right fit. No guessing.

They've been gaining popularity with eventers and cowboy mounted shooting. I ran across them from some of my eventer friends who use them in dressage to jumping. Honestly just a durable easy to use boot that actually performs the way they claim it does.
I have the Pegasus and love them-but they do not come in solid colors (they have the colored trim on them), or at least that was true when I bought mine at Road to the Horse last year. Around here, boots worn in shows by the reiners are solid colors. I have not seen anyone with anything but solid black, white and occasionally brown. So the Pegasus stay home for schooling. I will also say that my trainer does not think they give as much support as the SMB's or Classic equines, so , again, mine get used minimally, in fact I am considering selling them. THey are also about the same price as SMB's, so I will go back to the Elites.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,452
• Horses: 0
Cool franknbeans! Getting to pick out new stuff!

I really like that second headstall you posted....I think it will go nice with your Bob's(so jealous)! I would get the reins in the same width as the headstall, that is not a must, but that is my personal preference. I think it looks nice and a 5/8" rein will give you a little more feel than a 3/8". But ultimately if you have been riding with a 3/8" and that is what your more comfortable with..do it.

Olive oil is a good way to condition and soften leather...beware because it will darken a little. So do a test patch and let it dry completely.

You will have to post pics of him all tacked up in his show gear :)

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,869
• Horses: 0
New gear is always fun!

I really like white boots on reiners, provided they are really clean in their spins as nrha said. I always used white boots on Jana because she always plussed on her spins and a bit of vanity too, they just look really sharp. I use white boots almost daily, they get filthy, I soak them in a bucket with a bit of Orvus & Oxy-Clean and then hit them with the power washer, does a good job.

Love Schutz bros, good quality, great price. Reins, whatever feels good in your hands, I like a little wider, heavier rein myself. They seem to drape a bit better and feel like there's something there.

Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, Capture the good times, Develop from the negatives and if things don't work out, Take another shot.
MHFoundation Quarters is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 View Post
Cool franknbeans! Getting to pick out new stuff!

I really like that second headstall you posted....I think it will go nice with your Bob's(so jealous)! I would get the reins in the same width as the headstall, that is not a must, but that is my personal preference. I think it looks nice and a 5/8" rein will give you a little more feel than a 3/8". But ultimately if you have been riding with a 3/8" and that is what your more comfortable with..do it.

Olive oil is a good way to condition and soften leather...beware because it will darken a little. So do a test patch and let it dry completely.

You will have to post pics of him all tacked up in his show gear :)
I actually did order that headstall, and can't wait until it arrives! Ordered the 1/2" reins too.......I have some that are 5/8", I think......but, since I did also get all weak and get a rawhide (which I love too!) headstall......I will use them, most likely. This is the rawhide one I got.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180844598349...ht_1107wt_1219

I am SO bad.....I already have so much stuff, but am selling some to have $$ for the new.

All I need now is my bit hobbles, I think...I did get one Balding on eBay, and I think my trainer has another on order. He has been very vague about it, when it will be in, etc....which was why I got the one on eBay. I figure I can always sell it and not lose $$ if/when the one the trainer ordered arrives. He ordered 11 Balding, doesn't remember exactly which shanks, etc, but is sure at least one is the correction with rollers I need......and he gets a discount, so we will see.

Anxious to get all my stuff together and go ride and see my boy-beginning of May. My friend actually tried my Bob's the other day-she didn't like it. Apparently the horn is slightly higher than her Crates, and it was uncomfortable for her. I am anxious to try it, and hope I don't feel the same way. She lost part of her thumb last year (horse accident) and she hit it on the horn a few times.....that did it for her.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The sandbox
Posts: 5,452
• Horses: 0
That headstall you got off Ebay is nice! I like how tight and fine the rawhide is on it. And if you wanted to dress it up even more you could buy some fancy silver buckles to put on it.

I hope you end up liking your Bob's too. That would be a bummer, it's a pretty saddle. But I probably wouldn't like it either if I kept on banging my sore thumb on it too! Ouch! That must of been a wreck.
The good thing about buying good gear is it is easy to resell and your not going to lose any money.

I DON'T LEAD 'EM AND FEED 'EM, I RIDE 'EM AND SLIDE 'EM.
COWCHICK77 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Exactly. That is why I am not worried about it. I doubt I would lose $$. I really love the originality of the good, hand made rawhide. I have found a bit hobble that matches it too, just have to get it. It will always have the light coloring going on, which goes with the saddle too, which I like. NOw, if I could just get my $$ back from Wengers for a saddle I returned 18 months ago......Grrrrrr. I am about to get really nasty with them. Not the son, who makes great custom saddles-the dad who has the retail business which he now takes not the road. If anyone ever sees him at a show-let him know I am thinking of him! And watching the mail for the ever-promised check........lol
COWCHICK77 likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
If I get a chance I will pull out my show bridles and take a few pictures and show the 3 in one that I have. It is not something you can buy but if you keep an eye out they are not hard to put together.


Also if you do decide to sell those boots let me know and what price you want for them. I am in a need for some work boots for the horses and do not want to buy new or pay a lot and do not want to use my show stuff. They get beat up so bad at times.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
If I get a chance I will pull out my show bridles and take a few pictures and show the 3 in one that I have. It is not something you can buy but if you keep an eye out they are not hard to put together.
Would love to see! I am such a "tack *****".......lol I just love having lots of pretty really nice stuff.
COWCHICK77 likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More "stuff riders say" vids! Feel free to post more here! With Grace Horse Talk 7 02-06-2012 10:20 PM
Super Funny! "Stuff horseshow girls say" Royal Pine Buck Horse Talk 15 01-22-2012 05:32 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome