Anyone here a vegetarian?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > The Horse Forum Community > Rider Wellness

Anyone here a vegetarian?

This is a discussion on Anyone here a vegetarian? within the Rider Wellness forums, part of the The Horse Forum Community category
  • Anyone here is vegan here
  • Why people refuse to become vegetarian

Like Tree21Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-28-2011, 03:15 PM
  #1
Weanling
Anyone here a vegetarian?

If so, Why are you one?

Are you the only one in your family?

Do you have some good recipes?


I'm not fully a vegetarian but I've toyed with the idea off and on. I've tried it for a few weeks and I felt WONDERFUL but it's hard to stay on it with a meat eating boyfriend whom I live with and a meat eating family who hunts (I don't hunt either, deer remind me of horses).

I know there are probably some hardcore meat eaters here and I don't want to get into the politics of things...I'm just wondering if any of you are and your reasons for it? I just found I feel so much happier and more energetic that way and I just love animals too much. After all, my last name means "animal man" (In a different language of course lol)
Silver Wings likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-28-2011, 03:24 PM
  #2
Super Moderator


I don't think I could ever give up my BBQ baby back ribs.

At one time I dabbled with it and it just didn't agree with my metabolism. I was not happy with how I always felt.
     
    10-28-2011, 03:49 PM
  #3
Banned
There is always a bottle of turkey gravy in my fridge should I fancy it.....

Sorry
     
    10-28-2011, 03:59 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianimalz    
There is always a bottle of turkey gravy in my fridge should I fancy it.....

Sorry
Haha no worries:) Just seeing if anyone else has tried it. This has just been my experience but I have nothing against people that do...heck I still do once in awhile
     
    10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
  #5
Foal
I'm a full-blood vegetarian!
I haven't got any recipes to refer to at the moment, but there are loads of books out there! (and if you Google "vegetarian recipes" for example, I bet you'll get lots of results).

The important thing when going veggie is not to just keep to your old diet while dropping out the meat - you have to look up recipes and so on, not only to make the food more interesting, but also to get the nourishment you need.

Anyhow - thumbs up for caring!
The meat industry isn't worth supporting, I don't know if you've read anything about it..?
I understand that it's a bit hard when the family and your boyfriend are meat-eaters, though. But you must do what you feel is the best for yourself, after all.
And I'm sure they will understand eventually.
Just takes a bit of explaining

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, and it works out well - I never miss eating meat at all.
At the time I became a veggie because I didn't want to eat animals, but later I found out more about the industrial way of treating animals, which convinced me even more.
To be honest I really want to become vegan (that is, eating no animal products - no milk, no eggs, etc...), but I haven't gotten around to that yet. It's my goal though.
     
    10-28-2011, 04:10 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Wings    
I'm a full-blood vegetarian!
I haven't got any recipes to refer to at the moment, but there are loads of books out there! (and if you Google "vegetarian recipes" for example, I bet you'll get lots of results).

The important thing when going veggie is not to just keep to your old diet while dropping out the meat - you have to look up recipes and so on, not only to make the food more interesting, but also to get the nourishment you need.

Anyhow - thumbs up for caring!
The meat industry isn't worth supporting, I don't know if you've read anything about it..?
I understand that it's a bit hard when the family and your boyfriend are meat-eaters, though. But you must do what you feel is the best for yourself, after all.
And I'm sure they will understand eventually.
Just takes a bit of explaining

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, and it works out well - I never miss eating meat at all.
At the time I became a veggie because I didn't want to eat animals, but later I found out more about the industrial way of treating animals, which convinced me even more.
To be honest I really want to become vegan (that is, eating no animal products - no milk, no eggs, etc...), but I haven't gotten around to that yet. It's my goal though.

Thanks! Yes I've read about the industry, seen videos, etc. It's horrible! And I hate the people that say "they're just animals". Well, the animals obviously know what's going on and it makes me sick! I'm starting to get to the point where eating certain meats makes me gag (chicken, and ground beef) but there are sometimes where I want a steak. But I'm getting there, slowly. I've also worked at a vet hospital before and I think that's when I really started reading up on it. I've read "Skinny B****" and that's definitely an eye opener. Some people just refuse to accept the truth though:(
Silver Wings likes this.
     
    10-28-2011, 04:22 PM
  #7
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondehorselover    
Some people just refuse to accept the truth though:(
Your intolerance for others is showing just a teensy bit, there.

If you want to be a vegetarian, vegan, ovo-lacto, good for you. Just don't feel sorry for/chastise/despise/feel superior to those of us who happen to think meat is part of a balanced diet.

Everything in moderation is my mantra. I don't eat meat every day, but when I want it, I have it.

My goal is to start raising my own egg/meat chickens by next year, and get a beef calf to raise and then have processed. That way, not only will I know where my meat is coming from, I'll also know what it was fed and how it was treated prior to becoming food.

I also plan to trade off some eggs and dressed chickens for goat meat, vegetables, deer meat, pork, and other locally grown/hunted/raised products.

That will be my contribution to the food chain, and I daresay it's just as healthy or healthier than your 'no meat EVAH' approach.

I do hope you're using nothing but synthetic tack and don't wear makeup, since leather and makeup are byproducts of the meat industry.
     
    10-28-2011, 04:32 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondehorselover    
Thanks! Yes I've read about the industry, seen videos, etc. It's horrible!
It's horrible indeed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondehorselover    
And I hate the people that say "they're just animals". Well, the animals obviously know what's going on and it makes me sick! I'm starting to get to the point where eating certain meats makes me gag (chicken, and ground beef) but there are sometimes where I want a steak. But I'm getting there, slowly. I've also worked at a vet hospital before and I think that's when I really started reading up on it. I've read "Skinny B****" and that's definitely an eye opener. Some people just refuse to accept the truth though:(
Exactly! The meaning that we're superior to the animals is just human ego.
Animals are living creatures and not just "stuff" to be exploited by any means possible, like many seem to think.
I believe that the animals are equals..
I'm learning animal communication, so I know animals are individuals with feelings and thoughts just like us.
Most people just don't want to open their eyes..

Have you read "Eating animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer?
There are a lot of facts about the meat industry etc. in it. : )
Reiterin and Vegan Draftman like this.
     
    10-28-2011, 04:33 PM
  #9
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer    
Your intolerance for others is showing just a teensy bit, there.

If you want to be a vegetarian, vegan, ovo-lacto, good for you. Just don't feel sorry for/chastise/despise/feel superior to those of us who happen to think meat is part of a balanced diet.

Everything in moderation is my mantra. I don't eat meat every day, but when I want it, I have it.

My goal is to start raising my own egg/meat chickens by next year, and get a beef calf to raise and then have processed. That way, not only will I know where my meat is coming from, I'll also know what it was fed and how it was treated prior to becoming food.

I also plan to trade off some eggs and dressed chickens for goat meat, vegetables, deer meat, pork, and other locally grown/hunted/raised products.

That will be my contribution to the food chain, and I daresay it's just as healthy or healthier than your 'no meat EVAH' approach.

Wow that is NOT what I meant by that. What I meant by "some people refuse to accept the truth" is the slaughterhouse conditions and SOME people think the conditions are perfectly hunky dory fine for the animals. Again, I have not completely given up meat as of now and I'm not sure if I ever will completely give up all meat. And I don't think I've said anything about people that eat meat, as I still, am one of them. And some of us don't have the luxury of actually knowing where our meat comes from. If that were the case, I probably wouldn't have as big a problem with it. But NOT KNOWING what exactly is in it, is scary. And not knowing what the animal went through.

But so the great debate, name calling, etc. continues between "vegetarians and meat eaters". But please, read what I ACTUALLY write before judging me.
Reiterin likes this.
     
    10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
  #10
Banned
Oh boy.

I'm for whatever the hell you want to do. I don't get why people worry about what other people eat. It's food, how humans have managed to make arguments out of it is beyond me.

I won't stop eating meat, but I prefer buying local meat, for I do not like how slaughter has been commercialized the way it has.
MicKey73 likes this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0