Back issues, any ideas?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > The Horse Forum Community > Rider Wellness

Back issues, any ideas?

This is a discussion on Back issues, any ideas? within the Rider Wellness forums, part of the The Horse Forum Community category

    Like Tree16Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Back issues, any ideas?

    About a month or 2 ago, I hurt my back.. I have tried almost everything. Heating pad, ice, pain killers, sitting, walking, laying down. It is my lower back that gets really bad, but my whole back sometimes hurts SO bad. The doc thinks I have a lumbar sacral strain..
    Anyone know how to relieve the pain? Thanks, Elena :)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
      #2
    Trained
    You need to talk with a chiroprator. It's way too easy for us to give you terrible advice.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Corazon Lock and SueC like this.
         
        03-16-2014, 08:44 PM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
    You need to talk with a chiroprator. It's way too easy for us to give you terrible advice.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I have gone to one, but it has not helped at all.. :/
         
        03-16-2014, 09:27 PM
      #4
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sweatie Petey    
    I have gone to one, but it has not helped at all.. :/
    You'll have to keep going and give feedback or try a different one. Ask for X-rays. It could even be a nerve issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sweatie Petey likes this.
         
        03-17-2014, 11:31 AM
      #5
    Green Broke
    I recommend going to a physio/ chiro. Try to get a referral to one from a doctor.

    A physio will try to manipulate whatever is wrong back into place and give you exercises that will relieve pain and strengthen the muscles again.
    SueC likes this.
         
        03-17-2014, 06:41 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Have you been to an orthopedist or just your primary? You can get X-rays but they won't show nerve issues. Would need an MRI for that. Assuming you aren't having any deficits indicative of nerve involvement (numbness, tingling, burning pains that shoot somewhere else) or they would have done one right away to CYA. If it is a muscular strain a chiro won't do anything, as you stated. Unfortunately muscular injuries are a b* to heal, esp neck/back inj. The biggest thing is to let them rest and then rebuild them properly. Over an awful long period of time, be patient. :( Posture and leg/ab muscles are your key players there.. If your core is weak, your back has to compensate. Lumbar injury is so common because there's no support (rib cage) to further stabilize when having to compensate or twist/turn. Once you've hurt it, you're much more susceptible to re-injury..

    If you haven't been to an orthopedist, go see one. Or if you have, go back! Living that way is miserable, please don't settle. Get into physical therapy if they think it's a good option for you. Ask about massage and ultrasound therapy too. Muscle relaxers with NSAID (ibuprofen, Tylenol, aleve- whatever works best for you) can help short term for pain to rebuild and then be kept handy for bad days if your ortho thinks it's a good option for you.

    It's a vicious cycle if left alone. The muscle tension is effecting the nerves, which can permanently damage them and cause chronic pain. The pain will be miserable, and heavy NSAID/pain med use trying to manage it will demolish your liver.
    SueC likes this.
         
        03-17-2014, 06:47 PM
      #7
    Showing
    .

    Try crawling on your hands and knees in a straight line as far as possible, making gentle turnarounds and do this for 10 minutes twice a day.

    Yes, I know it sounds silly..... but is works for me and was recommended by a chiropractor (my father) 40 years ago and has helped many times over the years

    .
    Sweatie Petey and SueC like this.
         
        03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
      #8
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coffeejunkie    
    Have you been to an orthopedist or just your primary? You can get X-rays but they won't show nerve issues. Would need an MRI for that.
    Unfortunately muscular injuries are a b* to heal, esp neck/back inj. The biggest thing is to let them rest and then rebuild them properly. Over an awful long period of time, be patient. :( If your core is weak, your back has to compensate. Lumbar injury is so common because there's no support (rib cage) to further stabilize when having to compensate or twist/turn. Once you've hurt it, you're much more susceptible to re-injury..



    .
    My primary doctor was not able to see me for at least a month, so I went to a different one. But then I went to a different one because it got really bad again. I am going to start PT this week. Then, next month I go back to the doctor, and maybe get an MRI. :/ When I went to the doctor, I got X-rays to see if I had fractured it, but I was not. (thank goodness!)
         
        03-18-2014, 09:58 AM
      #9
    Started
    Hey SP, I got a back injury at 21 riding a horse someone wanted me to fix. It suddenly bucked at a trot just as I was coming down (posting), and wham! GPs could never tell me what exactly the problem was, it took months to heal and then recurred to a greater or lesser degree whenever I lifted something slightly wrong or turned wrong (when it happens badly my entire lumbar curve will be straightened out with painful muscle spasms). A chiropractor with a super understanding of back anatomy said he sees my injury in BMX and Dirt Bike riders and what happened is that the ligaments that attach my spine to my pelvis stretched in my accident, making me prone to back strain. For me it's mostly prevention - Pilates classes are great for reducing future problems, once you're healed up from whatever you have and OK to do something like that. Pilates is just so super for strengthening core muscles and maintaining flexibility, and means I can go years now without a relapse.

    Hope you feel better soon. Vitamin C and E is useful in healing muscle. Whether or not your primary problem is originally muscular, back problems always end up involving the muscles in some way.
         
        05-12-2014, 04:28 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SueC    
    Hey SP, I got a back injury at 21 riding a horse someone wanted me to fix. It suddenly bucked at a trot just as I was coming down (posting), and wham! GPs could never tell me what exactly the problem was, it took months to heal and then recurred to a greater or lesser degree whenever I lifted something slightly wrong or turned wrong (when it happens badly my entire lumbar curve will be straightened out with painful muscle spasms). A chiropractor with a super understanding of back anatomy said he sees my injury in BMX and Dirt Bike riders and what happened is that the ligaments that attach my spine to my pelvis stretched in my accident, making me prone to back strain. For me it's mostly prevention - Pilates classes are great for reducing future problems, once you're healed up from whatever you have and OK to do something like that. Pilates is just so super for strengthening core muscles and maintaining flexibility, and means I can go years now without a relapse.

    Hope you feel better soon. Vitamin C and E is useful in healing muscle. Whether or not your primary problem is originally muscular, back problems always end up involving the muscles in some way.
    The same thing happened to me when I first started riding my horse 3 years ago but I came off and landed on my lower back and every time I have cantered after that my lower back hurts.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Sweatie Petey likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Few issues with new horse. Any ideas? Cowgirls Boots Horse Training 9 03-15-2012 09:41 AM
    Need some ideas... horse vs donkey issues ImagineThat Horse Training 3 12-06-2010 07:15 AM
    I would love some ideas about leg issues! jwhisperj Horse Training 0 10-23-2007 07:31 PM
    would love some ideas about leg issues jwhisperj Horse Training 0 10-23-2007 07:28 PM
    would love some ideas about leg issues jwhisperj Horse Training 0 10-23-2007 07:28 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:57 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0