Back pain and horse riding - Page 3 - The Horse Forum
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 9,385
• Horses: 4
I had my first and only fall thus far a couple of months after I started riding. I landed back first on a rock about 1/3 the size of my fist. Nothing broken, but damage to the soft tissue still causes me pain 4 years later - although it is no where near as bad now! It runs from my right lower back past my hip to the outside of my right thigh.

Riding usually causes the pain to flare up after about 45 minutes. Jogging for 20 minutes will cause it to swell up visibly about an hour later. The 2/week massage therapy I was prescribed for 3 months did nothing to help.

When riding, my lower back remains stiff, and horses tend to drift left when I ride. Mia is the horse I ride most of the time, and I think she has learned to ignore the extra pressure on her right side.

"Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing...well, ignore it mostly."
bsms is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
I had my first and only fall thus far a couple of months after I started riding. I landed back first on a rock about 1/3 the size of my fist. Nothing broken, but damage to the soft tissue still causes me pain 4 years later - although it is no where near as bad now! It runs from my right lower back past my hip to the outside of my right thigh.

Riding usually causes the pain to flare up after about 45 minutes. Jogging for 20 minutes will cause it to swell up visibly about an hour later. The 2/week massage therapy I was prescribed for 3 months did nothing to help.

When riding, my lower back remains stiff, and horses tend to drift left when I ride. Mia is the horse I ride most of the time, and I think she has learned to ignore the extra pressure on her right side.
This sounds like scar tissue is the culprit here.
Has anyone ever carried out a scan to see the problem?
Im thinking there may be an operative procedure that may produce a favourable outcome?
Dr Les Bailey
drlesbailey is offline  
post #23 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: texas
Posts: 1,258
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlesbailey View Post
It sounds as if perhaps you need a practitioner that does deep tissue massage after the manipulation to remove the muscle spasm after the adjustment.
This is something I have always done, although its hard work, so not many chiro,s or osteopaths do it anymore
It gets a bit pricey to use a seperate massage practitioner, so I would advise to find one who offers the whole package?
As for the hyperlordosis, this can be environmental rather than permanent, so it would straighten upon bending ( this is how we test whether a scoliosis/lordosis/kyphosis is environmental rather than genetic. Genetic would not correct upon bending)
A good programme of manipulation and deep tissue massage will straighten environmental curves in most cases.
Dr Les Bailey
I am looking for one. They are hard to find. I just want all of it to go away and be able to ride again pain free (no upper body fatigue).
Posted via Mobile Device
hisangelonly is offline  
post #24 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisangelonly View Post
I am looking for one. They are hard to find. I just want all of it to go away and be able to ride again pain free (no upper body fatigue).
Posted via Mobile Device
Good ones are hard to find. There are plenty of average ones about!!!
Sometimes you have to try a few until you find one who gets the results you need.
They all work differently, and some approaches suit one patient and not another.
Dr Les Bailey
drlesbailey is offline  
post #25 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olds, AB Canada
Posts: 2,749
• Horses: 2
My Physiotherapyst said I have weakness/injury to my SI joint, I have tried to do the exercises she told me to do and I did some massages but the pain hasn't gone away. It is very severe when I do barn work and or just standing and walking around. I have an appt with my doctor to find a chiropractor, do you think that will help?

I have no pain during riding or after riding.

Horses are scared of two things... Things that move and things that don't.
Ray MacDonald is offline  
post #26 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
My Physiotherapyst said I have weakness/injury to my SI joint, I have tried to do the exercises she told me to do and I did some massages but the pain hasn't gone away. It is very severe when I do barn work and or just standing and walking around. I have an appt with my doctor to find a chiropractor, do you think that will help?

I have no pain during riding or after riding.
Yes,if its a pelvis problem, an osteopath or chiropractor will yield the best results for you.
It may be a question of finding one who gets the results you want, but dont be afraid to try a few if need be, as all have their own approach.
Dr Les Bailey
drlesbailey is offline  
post #27 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: texas
Posts: 1,258
• Horses: 3
It seems like I can't engage my core very well. At pt it was very hard for me to tilt my pelvis into "neutral spine". Pt really didn't help me much. I've always wanted to try massage and decompression therapy. I just feel like my body needs to be reset and start all over.
Posted via Mobile Device
hisangelonly is offline  
post #28 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisangelonly View Post
It seems like I can't engage my core very well. At pt it was very hard for me to tilt my pelvis into "neutral spine". Pt really didn't help me much. I've always wanted to try massage and decompression therapy. I just feel like my body needs to be reset and start all over.
Posted via Mobile Device
MMMM? New bodies are quite expensive, so the chiropractor idea may be better
Dr Les Bailey
drlesbailey is offline  
post #29 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: texas
Posts: 1,258
• Horses: 3
Lol I know I have no choice. It'd be neat though. I found a chiro/massage. It's alliance chiropractic massage in watauga. They seem to have some good ideas on here. Maybe I'll give them a call :p
Posted via Mobile Device
hisangelonly is offline  
post #30 of 77 Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 39
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisangelonly View Post
Lol I know I have no choice. It'd be neat though. I found a chiro/massage. It's alliance chiropractic massage in watauga. They seem to have some good ideas on here. Maybe I'll give them a call :p
Posted via Mobile Device
We have a saying in England
"A stitch in time saves 9"
So make that appointment!!!
Dr Les Bailey
drlesbailey is offline  
Reply

Tags
dr les bailey , orthotics , osteopath , phd

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avoiding back cramps/pain and keeping shoulders back! DressageIsToDance English Riding 7 12-20-2012 08:26 PM
Have or ever had back pain? AJK Rider Wellness 8 10-29-2012 07:58 PM
Is lower back pain and riding connected? horsea Horse Riding 12 12-20-2010 04:07 PM
Back Pain Piper182 Horse Riding 5 06-29-2009 05:26 AM
Back Pain? Vidaloco Horse Talk 6 03-28-2008 09:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome