Neck injury scare...HOLY BANNANAS! - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 80
• Horses: 8
Neck injury scare...HOLY BANNANAS!

Just thought that I'd share my neck injury scare now that Im recovered! Basically, after a 6 year marathon of having my butt never hitting the ground after being on the back of a horse, I got bucked off by my horse Batman, and it was mostly my fault! Let me write you a story!
After Batman knocked over the pole on the oxer we were jumping I got off and put it off as usual, but I was lazy when trying to remount so I used a near by log (XC attempt by others!) to jump up from his right flank...bad idea. He was already gawking at the Heffers, trying to decide if he wanted to be brave, so even after I grabbed the reins and put one of my feet in the stirrups, when I landed behind the saddle, he spooked a bit forward, I stayed on by gripping with my legs, but my heels dug into his flanks ( where the strap goes to mak bucking horses buck) and he went wild! I stayed on for about 5 bucks, them I went to Tuck-n-roll, before I was flung into a fence. I tucked. No roll! I landed on my face and did a summersault over my own head! I got up, and with supervision, jumped back on with only a sprained finger, or so I thought.
Next day I couldnt even sit up my neck and upper back were killing me so much! My parents brought me to urgent care, where they did X-rays and found out that I didn't have a broken neck, and that the disks in between my vertebre have 'extra cushioning' that saved my neck from all of the impact that it took! I just had Torticollisis in my neck for the next week, but now I'm back to riding!
If you read this all that's awesome! I tend to make massive bodies of writing, so congrats for being patient with my explaination!
Whats the worst injury you've ever received around (or on!) horses?
kbjumper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 13,588
• Horses: 2
.

Glad you were not hurt any worse.


.

May all your Trails be happy and safe ones

Kevin
SouthernTrails is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
• Horses: 1
Oh my goodness, that sounds scary! I feel like we all have that moments of "I really shouldn't have done that", haha. My worst fall actually just happened a month ago, and it had been a couple years since I've fallen.
My pony is 13 and a western horse before I bought him, and I trained him to jump. We jumped for about 3-4 months before I found a new trainer who told me he has problems accepting the bit so we've spent the past 4 months now doing bit training with him. Well, my trainer and I were just playing around with our horses one night and running them over a 2 foot vertical, when we decided to jump on bareback in just our halters and jump them. I completely forgot about my helmet, and the fact that my pony has NO scope at the trot (we were trotting the jump), and by our 4th time jumping it, he had gotten really excited and took a MASSIVE jump. Needless to say, I wasn't holding on for it, so I bounced off on the landing and slammed my head.
I thought I was okay, until I woke up in the middle of the night spinning and puking. I was in the ER all night and morning, and I couldn't even get out of bed for a week because my head hurt so bad and every time I turned my head to the left I would get double vision and start spinning. It took until a few days ago until I was completely pain free.
JustImagine is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 4,840
• Horses: 2
Glad you are OK now.
Cacowgirl is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 80
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustImagine View Post
Oh my goodness, that sounds scary! I feel like we all have that moments of "I really shouldn't have done that", haha. My worst fall actually just happened a month ago, and it had been a couple years since I've fallen.
My pony is 13 and a western horse before I bought him, and I trained him to jump. We jumped for about 3-4 months before I found a new trainer who told me he has problems accepting the bit so we've spent the past 4 months now doing bit training with him. Well, my trainer and I were just playing around with our horses one night and running them over a 2 foot vertical, when we decided to jump on bareback in just our halters and jump them. I completely forgot about my helmet, and the fact that my pony has NO scope at the trot (we were trotting the jump), and by our 4th time jumping it, he had gotten really excited and took a MASSIVE jump. Needless to say, I wasn't holding on for it, so I bounced off on the landing and slammed my head.
I thought I was okay, until I woke up in the middle of the night spinning and puking. I was in the ER all night and morning, and I couldn't even get out of bed for a week because my head hurt so bad and every time I turned my head to the left I would get double vision and start spinning. It took until a few days ago until I was completely pain free.
Wow! Thank god you didnt break your head! That must of been scarey!
kbjumper is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 379
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbjumper View Post
Wow! Thank god you didnt break your head! That must of been scarey!
It was definitely scary. And of course now that I'm finally better my pony's lame =[
JustImagine is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,156
• Horses: 0
Wow, I stopped counting how many riders' worst accidents contained the sentence, "I figured I could hop on from the nearby log" or something similar. It's probably saved my butt more than I know. I have had several times when I had to remount and could have taken a short cut, but then think about my friend with the broken wrist, the other friend with the dislocated shoulder, the one with the back injury, and now I can add you to the list too. I am very sorry you were hurt, and glad that it was not worse. You do us all a favor by posting your experience. It's things like this that keep us all more safe.

You just have to see your distance...you don't have to like it.
MyBoyPuck is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: south of nowhere, north of nothing
Posts: 4,641
• Horses: 6
wowza! Im so glad your okay. Def. Could have turned out much worse!

Hmmmm my worst injury from a horse was probably when my mare got stuck in the trailer....

All my horses are trained to load themselves when I say "load up" and like the awesome mare she is she went right on in...but somebody had unlatched the divider...and it got stuck in between her hip and her barrel.
So of course she started freaking out and I ran in to try and get her free. Somehow in the process of that she managed to kick me a grand totall of 6 times. Twice in each leg and double barrel to the stomach!

*Insert something witty*
Roperchick is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 80
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck View Post
Wow, I stopped counting how many riders' worst accidents contained the sentence, "I figured I could hop on from the nearby log" or something similar. It's probably saved my butt more than I know. I have had several times when I had to remount and could have taken a short cut, but then think about my friend with the broken wrist, the other friend with the dislocated shoulder, the one with the back injury, and now I can add you to the list too. I am very sorry you were hurt, and glad that it was not worse. You do us all a favor by posting your experience. It's things like this that keep us all more safe.
Yep, It definitely taught me a lesson! It's good that you think ahead for any risks, now that I have a bad experience on the ropes I hope that I turn up like you soon!
kbjumper is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 80
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roperchick View Post
wowza! Im so glad your okay. Def. Could have turned out much worse!

Hmmmm my worst injury from a horse was probably when my mare got stuck in the trailer....

All my horses are trained to load themselves when I say "load up" and like the awesome mare she is she went right on in...but somebody had unlatched the divider...and it got stuck in between her hip and her barrel.
So of course she started freaking out and I ran in to try and get her free. Somehow in the process of that she managed to kick me a grand totall of 6 times. Twice in each leg and double barrel to the stomach!
HOLY <insert curse here>!!!!! That's crazy! How many breaks? Are you better now or are there any permanent injuries? This sounds odd, but after the accident does your mare still load up at liberty, or is she scared for life?
kbjumper is offline  
Reply

Tags
bucking horse , hospital , injury , neck

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your opinion of an old neck injury and a hunter/jumper? poultrygirl Horse Talk 3 01-26-2012 04:35 PM
I don't mean to scare you.. well, maybe I do.. Carleen General Off Topic Discussion 9 09-11-2010 06:58 PM
Lowered head/neck and ears pinned to neck coffeemama Horse Training 12 11-07-2009 01:16 AM
Shoulder/Back injury stemming from leg injury Andi Horse Health 1 02-18-2009 05:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome