Sharp hip pain - Doctor said its fine? - The Horse Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yo' Closet =)
Posts: 99
• Horses: 1
Sharp hip pain - Doctor said its fine?

So, today, I went into the barn in the morning, before school. It was dark, and I have to go in the barn to switch the lights on. Well, I didn't know my mare was loose, and we scared each other as I rounded the corner. She kicked out, and just caught me on the hip. I tied her, and went to get on the bus. My hip didn't start hurting until mid way through the day. When I got up, I had a very sharp pain in my hip, that caused me to sit down again. I hobbled around for the rest of the day. It didn't bruise, so I didn't think that she kicked me that hard. After school, I got mom to drive me to the hospital. He said it was fine and to take a Tylenol. Well, here I am, almost 15 hours later. It still hurts. It almost feels like its rubbing against something. Its still not bruised, and it is not tender to the touch, just when I walk or sit down. Below my ribs is very sore too. I have no idea why. What do you guys think ? Should I go to the ER ?

It's the thoroughbred, ... It's the racehorse that's charging out front and all we want to do is get in your wake and go with you.~ Proud owner of Southern Lady, a Thoroughbred mare.
Southern is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Was in Ocala, Fl Now In West Union SC!
Posts: 3,175
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern View Post
So, today, I went into the barn in the morning, before school. It was dark, and I have to go in the barn to switch the lights on. Well, I didn't know my mare was loose, and we scared each other as I rounded the corner. She kicked out, and just caught me on the hip. I tied her, and went to get on the bus. My hip didn't start hurting until mid way through the day. When I got up, I had a very sharp pain in my hip, that caused me to sit down again. I hobbled around for the rest of the day. It didn't bruise, so I didn't think that she kicked me that hard. After school, I got mom to drive me to the hospital. He said it was fine and to take a Tylenol. Well, here I am, almost 15 hours later. It still hurts. It almost feels like its rubbing against something. Its still not bruised, and it is not tender to the touch, just when I walk or sit down. Below my ribs is very sore too. I have no idea why. What do you guys think ? Should I go to the ER ?
did they x-ray you? If not then yes it might be a good idea no in just incase. If they say it's nuthing then go to a cyropractor. I lived for 6 years with back pain because doctors couldn't figure out what was causeing it. Turns out my spine is twisted.

My name is now my horses on a dor not my horse sonador
myhorsesonador is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yo' Closet =)
Posts: 99
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorsesonador View Post
did they x-ray you? If not then yes it might be a good idea no in just incase. If they say it's nuthing then go to a cyropractor. I lived for 6 years with back pain because doctors couldn't figure out what was causeing it. Turns out my spine is twisted.
Ouch No, he didn't. All he did was press around for a while, and said that nothing seemed to be broken. I might go tomorrow, after school.

It's the thoroughbred, ... It's the racehorse that's charging out front and all we want to do is get in your wake and go with you.~ Proud owner of Southern Lady, a Thoroughbred mare.
Southern is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,193
• Horses: 24
You could have pulled a muscle or had a tendon get inflamed, maybe even pinched a nerve. If it was me, I think my first stop would be to the chiropractor. Short of an orthopedic surgeon, they generally are more experienced with bone and joint issues than your average family/ER doctor.

Since you are able to walk on it, it is unlikely that anything is broken, especially since it didn't really start hurting until later in the day. My guess would be that there was some mild inflammation that got worse while you were sitting still in class and that's what's making it so painful and stiff to walk on.

For tonight, I would suggest a couple of Ibuprofen and an ice pack until you can either get in to see the chiro or back in to the doctor.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yo' Closet =)
Posts: 99
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
You could have pulled a muscle or had a tendon get inflamed, maybe even pinched a nerve. If it was me, I think my first stop would be to the chiropractor. Short of an orthopedic surgeon, they generally are more experienced with bone and joint issues than your average family/ER doctor.

Since you are able to walk on it, it is unlikely that anything is broken, especially since it didn't really start hurting until later in the day. My guess would be that there was some mild inflammation that got worse while you were sitting still in class and that's what's making it so painful and stiff to walk on.

For tonight, I would suggest a couple of Ibuprofen and an ice pack until you can either get in to see the chiro or back in to the doctor.
Thanks for the tip, I guess I shouldn't have been such a worry - wart. But I guess thats what I get, since all my injuries from horses have been serious.

It's the thoroughbred, ... It's the racehorse that's charging out front and all we want to do is get in your wake and go with you.~ Proud owner of Southern Lady, a Thoroughbred mare.
Southern is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 22,193
• Horses: 24
LOL, sometimes it's better to worry and find out it's nothing rather than not worry about it until the damage is irreversible and you have to suffer the pain for the rest of your life. I'm normally the type that I usually do the latter and only go to the doctor years later because the pain simply won't go away .

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
A soak in a nice tubby might soothe things.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,207
• Horses: 2
Is the hip still hurting you?
my2geldings is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-27-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yo' Closet =)
Posts: 99
• Horses: 1
A bit, but I don't think its that bad. It not getting any worse, but its not completely gone.

It's the thoroughbred, ... It's the racehorse that's charging out front and all we want to do is get in your wake and go with you.~ Proud owner of Southern Lady, a Thoroughbred mare.
Southern is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merlin and Doctor Who? EmilyandNikki Movies, Music, and TV 21 02-04-2013 11:59 AM
Sharp Dressed (Dressage) Man Arksly Horse Videos 1 12-17-2010 09:51 PM
Sharp looking tri colored pony forsale barrelracer7335 Horses for Sale 0 08-19-2010 12:13 PM
Yikes! Sharp Teeth! Help! AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Health 4 06-16-2010 06:15 PM
Sharp Eventing/Hunter Mare; Finish your way! (MD) kerplop Horses for Sale 5 08-11-2009 05:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome