It wasn't a horse that did me in!
   

       The Horse Forum > The Horse Forum Community > Rider Wellness

It wasn't a horse that did me in!

This is a discussion on It wasn't a horse that did me in! within the Rider Wellness forums, part of the The Horse Forum Community category

    Like Tree117Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
      #1
    Yearling
    Angry It wasn't a horse that did me in!

    It was a hill!!! At work today walking down a hill, I heard a 'CRACK', had a sharp pain in my ankle, and down I went.

    I didn't twist it, I didn't roll it, I didn't step on anything I shouldn't have. It was kind of a slick hill, so I was taking my time, and had my weight on the sides of my feet/heels. I was wearing Kamik winter boots (only difference from them and a cast is the boots are composite safety toe). So there's no possible way I rolled the ankle. IT. JUST. WENT. CRACK!!!!

    For once I was lucky, and not working by myself, so my coworker took me to the ER. They took x-rays & said they couldn't see a break right now. There might be one that's visible once the swelling goes down. So I find out Monday what the verdict is.

    I've been stepped on, rolled on, kicked in more places I care to mention, I've lost count of how many concussions I've had, I broken each finger at least twice, and then some. I've ALWAYS walked away from it.

    BUT AN F'IN HILL PUTS ME ON CRUTCHES & ON THE COUCH!!!!
    Seriously????
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
      #2
    Foal
    I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but a chuckle escaped sounds like a mate of mine, he coughed and broke a rib! He just said it was because he was so manly...

    Hopefully it isn't, but if it is I'll have my fingers crossed that it's little and you heal quickly
         
        03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
      #3
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by busysmurf    
    It was a hill!!! At work today walking down a hill, I heard a 'CRACK', had a sharp pain in my ankle, and down I went.

    I didn't twist it, I didn't roll it, I didn't step on anything I shouldn't have. It was kind of a slick hill, so I was taking my time, and had my weight on the sides of my feet/heels. I was wearing Kamik winter boots (only difference from them and a cast is the boots are composite safety toe). So there's no possible way I rolled the ankle. IT. JUST. WENT. CRACK!!!!

    For once I was lucky, and not working by myself, so my coworker took me to the ER. They took x-rays & said they couldn't see a break right now. There might be one that's visible once the swelling goes down. So I find out Monday what the verdict is.

    I've been stepped on, rolled on, kicked in more places I care to mention, I've lost count of how many concussions I've had, I broken each finger at least twice, and then some. I've ALWAYS walked away from it.

    BUT AN F'IN HILL PUTS ME ON CRUTCHES & ON THE COUCH!!!!
    Seriously????

    Sorry, I didn't mean to rub my bad luck off on you!!

    If it makes you feel any better a few years back on Canada day I was grooming at the track and we were standing up on a hill beside the gate to the track watching one of our horses run. It was a hot humid nasty day and I fainted falling backwards down the hill. I woke up and couldn't move my hand. The trainer I was working for tried to get me to go to the ER but we had 4 more horses to run and the other groom was sick and I didn't want to leave him high and dry even though he insisted it was okay. So we wrapped it up in vet wrap and continued the day on.

    I went to the ER at the end of the day and they couldn't tell if it was broken because it had swollen so bad, went back a few days later and indeed there was a fracture in my wrist

    Seriously though? Fainting falling backwards down a hill?! It wasn't the high strung race horses that did me in, it was the **** sun! Lol
    busysmurf and EvilHorseOfDoom like this.
         
        03-14-2013, 06:30 PM
      #4
    Trained
    I feel for you....had the same thing....also not the horses....but I rolled the foot....learned the hard way not to wear slippers around the barn. It was a ligament. And it took a loooong time to heal. I was by myself, hubby was in Bosnia. With 9 horses. I managed.....
    Keep the foot up. Ice helps with the swelling. ........:-/
    busysmurf likes this.
         
        03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
      #5
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NBEventer    
    Sorry, I didn't mean to rub my bad luck off on you!!

    If it makes you feel any better a few years back on Canada day I was grooming at the track and we were standing up on a hill beside the gate to the track watching one of our horses run. It was a hot humid nasty day and I fainted falling backwards down the hill. I woke up and couldn't move my hand. The trainer I was working for tried to get me to go to the ER but we had 4 more horses to run and the other groom was sick and I didn't want to leave him high and dry even though he insisted it was okay. So we wrapped it up in vet wrap and continued the day on.

    I went to the ER at the end of the day and they couldn't tell if it was broken because it had swollen so bad, went back a few days later and indeed there was a fracture in my wrist

    Seriously though? Fainting falling backwards down a hill?! It wasn't the high strung race horses that did me in, it was the **** sun! Lol
    Haha oh gee the racetrack.!! If it makes either of you feel better....I got concussed by a grain dolly/cart at the track!
    EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
         
        03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
      #6
    Showing
    I'm like JS, I know I really shouldn't laugh because it's not funny...but it sort of is at the same time.


    I feel your pain, hopefully it's nothing serious (my first though is a ruptured tendon/ligament), but maybe it just popped in a way that hurt and that's the end of it.

    XX Fingers crossed.
    busysmurf and Jacqua Stud like this.
         
        03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
      #7
    Started
    In all seriousness though, thank goodness you had a coworker with you. Keep your foot up, take advil and keep icing it. Fingers crossed it was just a nasty sprain!
    busysmurf likes this.
         
        03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
      #8
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    Haha oh gee the racetrack.!! If it makes either of you feel better....I got concussed by a grain dolly/cart at the track!
    Why does this not surprise me? PS, thanks for making me spit water all over my laptop
         
        03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    It's ok for you guys to laugh, I find it funny as well. It would be my luck it was just a **** hill, not some nut case horse no one else can ride ((sigh))
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
      #10
    Foal
    Here's one I hope you all DO laff at!
    Was working at a farm which hosted an annual schooling show. On Thursday, the porta-potti guy delivered, and for whatever reason, it was set up next to a pasture gate. On Friday, I was leading a horse to that pasture, and just at the most critical time (one hand on the gate, one on the lead), the BO emerged from said toilet. The poor horse tried unsuccessfully to leap into my pocket for safety. Although he missed the pocket, he WAS successful in mashing my foot. Don't know if he broke it (didn't hurt enough after 10 mins to warrant a trip to the ER), but it was sore for a lolng time!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I wasn't sure where to put this... arrowsaway Horse Training 15 02-05-2012 12:04 PM
    I wasn't going to say anything...BUT.... Belle Games 0 01-01-2011 05:37 PM
    horse wasn't trained to reign...... Cheyennes mom Reining 11 09-09-2010 12:37 AM
    Wasn't sure... RoCru Horse Talk 2 07-25-2009 11:22 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0