Catching Wild Cattle - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Roping

Catching Wild Cattle

This is a discussion on Catching Wild Cattle within the Roping forums, part of the Western Riding category
  • Hunting and catching wild cattle in australia
  • Catching wild horses with dogs

Like Tree32Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
  #31
Green Broke
If it is one thing I have learned in the last few years is that we can do a lot with very little. Hubby, dog and I can move a lot of cattle by ourselves...we have learned how to be efficient. There has been too many times that we have been out cowed but made due.

I think one of the most frustrating things we did was before shipping one year, we had to put a three way sort on them. The steers were in several hundred acres, mostly willowed up riverbed. All we had to sort in was an old branding trap. My husband and I sorted 3000 steers three ways in a just a couple days. That trap by the time we were done was 4 inches of pulverized dust... it took me a week to get the dust out of places I never thought dust could collect. I figured that was good numbers since we had to gather several times a day...and I suck at sorting.

That same weekend was the Elko County Fair..the biggest event of the year, and we didn't have to ship until the following week. We had a few days off to go to town. We stayed in town went to the fair and come back to a mess...

Come to find out David Stoecklein came down that weekend to do a photo shoot with the crew on the ranch....huh, that's funny none of the crew was invited. Just the family members. Not that I really care about that, but all of Davids photos are staged, so he wanted pictures of girls moving steers. They mixed all of our steers back together for the sake of being in a photo shoot.....awesome.....and that is all I have to say about that....I think I just got mad..again
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
  #32
Trained
I used to really like Stocklien photos until I realized that they were all setups and he didn't really go around with the cowboys and try to get the right picture.
     
    01-10-2012, 12:43 AM
  #33
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by COWCHICK77    
Also thinking I am going to try a Catahoula puppy.
If you were picking out a puppy, what do you look for?
Sorry I got carried away and never said. First, I'd really want at least a couple, maybe 3. (Oh **** your husband's going to hate me) They're alot more gritty when there's 3 of them. That pack instinct, ya know? You'd have to have a pretty good dog to go by himself and be able to handle and hold any cow that came along. I want enough dogs in that cow's face that she doesn't even know I'm there until I ride up and lace her up hahaha

This probly goes without saying, but I'd want one that were out of workin' parents, even if they were used on hogs. It's just like horses. So many people have a mare that never gets broke and they raise colts out of her. That's silly to me. I think the sire and dam should prove themselves at least a little.

Other than that, I don't know, I guess I like something that's loud colored so they're easier to see and keep track of in the woods. That can always be solved with a hunter orange collar. I'm sure I'll think of something else.

We raise and sell puppies, but to be honest, I'd want to buy one at least a year old. But I'm kinda that way with my horses too. If I'm buying, I want a 5 or 6 year old so I can put em to work Now. And I'd start em on something small, then work up. But the bad thing about a Catahoula is the better they are, the quicker they'll get hurt and be out of commission. They're great family dogs though.
     
    01-10-2012, 10:37 AM
  #34
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
I used to really like Stocklien photos until I realized that they were all setups and he didn't really go around with the cowboys and try to get the right picture.
I know...I think $65 is too much for a book full of staged photos....lol

We met a guy at the Futurity last month that goes out on the wagons down here and Arizona and photographs. His work is awesome, he takes some of the photos and does a oil painting over the top. Not only that but he day works a little too.
     
    01-10-2012, 11:18 AM
  #35
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
Sorry I got carried away and never said. First, I'd really want at least a couple, maybe 3. (Oh **** your husband's going to hate me) They're alot more gritty when there's 3 of them. That pack instinct, ya know? You'd have to have a pretty good dog to go by himself and be able to handle and hold any cow that came along. I want enough dogs in that cow's face that she doesn't even know I'm there until I ride up and lace her up hahaha

This probly goes without saying, but I'd want one that were out of workin' parents, even if they were used on hogs. It's just like horses. So many people have a mare that never gets broke and they raise colts out of her. That's silly to me. I think the sire and dam should prove themselves at least a little.

Other than that, I don't know, I guess I like something that's loud colored so they're easier to see and keep track of in the woods. That can always be solved with a hunter orange collar. I'm sure I'll think of something else.

We raise and sell puppies, but to be honest, I'd want to buy one at least a year old. But I'm kinda that way with my horses too. If I'm buying, I want a 5 or 6 year old so I can put em to work Now. And I'd start em on something small, then work up. But the bad thing about a Catahoula is the better they are, the quicker they'll get hurt and be out of commission. They're great family dogs though.
Oh man...I started out with one..now I have to get three...you are quite the salesman, tee he. That's a commitment. The husband has been thinking about it too. Now isn't the time time to get a pack of dogs, as of now we don't have anything for them to do. I just want to do some research and pick your brain about before I get a wild hair and come home with a half of a litter of pups. I would hate to get a bunch of them dogs, then realize I am in over my head and don't know what to do with them.

But I get your point about having the pack mentality. It does help with the confidence. When we had that Hanging Tree dog he really helped with my dogs confidence going to the head.

I feel the same about breeding dogs and horses...they should prove themselves. The people I worked for down here riding the barrel horses rescued a paint mare, they thought she would make a barrel horse. She was probably one of the most un -athletic horses I have ever ridden in my life and to top it off had a horrible temperment. Finally I told them she isn't going to make the cut, she wouldn't even make a play day horse. So they decided to breed her...WTF....I told them that was a bad idea and explained why. Still bred her...needless to say I quit. Don't ask my opinion if you really don't want to know.

Ok, one last question about the dogs...
How often do you get to work your dogs? Are they ok with not going to work constantly?
I believe if you have a working type dog you should have something for them to do, or they become bored and frustrated.
     
    01-11-2012, 03:33 AM
  #36
Yearling
Lately my dogs haven't been worked at all. Like for about 6 months. Hadn't hurt em none, but my wife's wanting to start hog hunting with them because we haven't had enough for them to do. I been thinking about buying a cheap cow to feed and let them practice on. I think if I just let them practice one at a time, I don't think they'll hurt her. Except our blue leopard male, he might.

Yeah they'll sure aggravate other livestock if they're not busy. Probly no worse than other stock dogs. They are hard to keep in too. If you lock em up, they'll climb out, dig out, or chew their way out.
     
    01-11-2012, 03:47 AM
  #37
Yearling
I might have said this before, but I don't really run these baying dogs with other dogs. My buddies have tried to bring other dogs with us on a cow catch, and it never has worked well for us. Like one guy had a heeler. Well, these Catahoulas go to the head and hold cattle, and this Blue Heeler is trying to get behind and nip at the hind legs to drive them. It's a bad deal
     
    01-11-2012, 03:54 AM
  #38
Yearling
Talkin about "more cowboys than cows", before I had dogs I called a guy to help me find and catch this heifer. He brought 6 men, 8 horses, and 16 dogs to catch this 1 heifer that weighed 400 pounds.
     
    01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
  #39
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
Lately my dogs haven't been worked at all. Like for about 6 months. Hadn't hurt em none, but my wife's wanting to start hog hunting with them because we haven't had enough for them to do. I been thinking about buying a cheap cow to feed and let them practice on. I think if I just let them practice one at a time, I don't think they'll hurt her. Except our blue leopard male, he might.

Yeah they'll sure aggravate other livestock if they're not busy. Probly no worse than other stock dogs. They are hard to keep in too. If you lock em up, they'll climb out, dig out, or chew their way out.

That's what I was wondering.

I am spoiled right now, I haven't worked my dog for a couple of months and she can handle it. The neighbors have cows and she don't over there creating work for herself. She gets pretty excited when his cows go through the fence to eat my hay and I will use her to put them back, and I have a Chihuahua that like to work..tee he.

I hate to keep a dog penned up for a long time without nothing for them to do.
     
    01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
  #40
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinCaucasian    
Talkin about "more cowboys than cows", before I had dogs I called a guy to help me find and catch this heifer. He brought 6 men, 8 horses, and 16 dogs to catch this 1 heifer that weighed 400 pounds.

LOL, there is such a thing as being over manned....
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wild Horses, Wild Dolphin video Pinto Pony Horse Videos 6 04-14-2010 03:38 AM
Australian Cattle Dog countrylady Farm Animals 4 02-05-2010 01:39 AM
Cattle Mania Toymanator Farm Animals 8 01-29-2010 03:16 PM
anyone know about cattle? crimsoncrazy25 Other Pets 0 06-25-2009 01:55 AM
Cattle Penning katybear985 Horse Training 6 01-17-2008 12:07 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0