New saddle, in love, what needs doing? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Sorry but the billet placement on the saddle is not correct for your horse. Nor is the tree shape.

Keep looking - this saddle can't be made to fit unfortunately :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Clava likes this.
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,236
• Horses: 2
Very interesting, I believe, maybe wrongly, that Unclearthur is a saddler by trade? Certainly in the industry anyway, funny how they believe the saddle fit isn't to far off, where the riders don't like it.
Golden Horse is online now  
post #13 of 21 Old 10-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,093
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
I've always ridden in the worst chair seat, probably comes from having learned in AP saddles!
Er...probably not, actually. That's what virtually everyone learns in.
Clava likes this.

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
unclearthur is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 1,093
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse View Post
Very interesting, I believe, maybe wrongly, that Unclearthur is a saddler by trade? Certainly in the industry anyway, funny how they believe the saddle fit isn't to far off, where the riders don't like it.
No, you're quite right

Quite wrong about the other thing, though I can only speak for myself

The battle that never ends is the battle of belief against unbelief - Thomas Carlyle

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
unclearthur is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,733
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclearthur View Post
Er...probably not, actually. That's what virtually everyone learns in.
And virtually everyone rides in a chair seat at some point

We are getting there, she and I.

Interesting you say it doesn't fit at all, Anebel, when it's the saddle I've found that she likes the most. And she is a fussy opinionated red mare so if she DIDN'T like it I would know!

Anyway, I got a photo of what I mean when I say she has a forward girth groove.


I've been talking to a saddle fitter who is unfortunately too far away to fit it but could with the right equipment build a custom saddle from scratch [she has that knowledge]. I don't have that kind of money unfortunately, but this lady says all that needs doing is for a bit of flocking to be removed in a couple of places and then it will fit perfectly. Or I can wait for it to mould to my horse's shape which it /should/ do fairly quickly.

I'm happy, my VERY opinionated red witch is happy, so I'm not especially keen to go searching for something else when we both like what we have now.

A CLEAN SLATE FOR THE FUTURE
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Well if the horse likes it.. Try a new girth, try some re flocking but to my eye it looks like it will always pull onto the shoulders because of the tree shape. It has a gradual slope behind the pommel, where as your horse (I would assume) is steeper behind the withers.

At the barn there has been a nearly constant stream of fitters and reps through the door and I've seen about 15 different saddles on 4-5 different horses in the past few months. One mare has a similar problem (current saddle pulls onto her shoulders) and has been deemed un-fit-able. However the rider is having trouble finding something she can ride in that fits her mare... Saddle fitting is just frustrating!
unclearthur likes this.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,733
• Horses: 4
This is her back shape [please excuse the lump, it's a bug bite or something, saddle doesn't sit anywhere near it]:


I want to get one of those girths that's shaped specifically for a horse with a forward girth groove but wouldn't know where to begin looking, I need either VERY soft anti-gall material or leather on her because anything else rubs her raw [Wintec anti-gall material is too hard]. That tubular girth on her is wonderful for softness, if I could get something like that in the shape she needs... it's a cant-a girth and it's unbelievably lovely.

Edit; she doesn't LOOK high-withered at all, that looks very normal, but for some reason I really struggle to find anything that doesn't sit on her wither. Her old saddle was fine and then she grew and I had to stick a wider plate in it and bye-bye wither clearance. I think it's because her wither goes back so darn far...

A CLEAN SLATE FOR THE FUTURE

Last edited by blue eyed pony; 10-22-2013 at 01:56 AM.
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
This is her back shape [please excuse the lump, it's a bug bite or something, saddle doesn't sit anywhere near it]:


I want to get one of those girths that's shaped specifically for a horse with a forward girth groove but wouldn't know where to begin looking, I need either VERY soft anti-gall material or leather on her because anything else rubs her raw [Wintec anti-gall material is too hard]. That tubular girth on her is wonderful for softness, if I could get something like that in the shape she needs... it's a cant-a girth and it's unbelievably lovely.
Ideal, Farifax, Jaguar, Nunn Finer and many others make wonderful girths. We are definitely in a new era of girthing. Your local tack store should have some, but if they don't, try ordering online from anywhere with a good return policy :) I have an Ideal girth that came with a saddle and have been quite impressed with it.

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,733
• Horses: 4
The other thing that's difficult there is that those are all expensive brands -hides- I have no money! So basically I want the world for nothing, and I know I can't have that. [edit; but the girth billets have holes up high for a long girth too so I /can/ look at shaped long girths, which seem to be a bit less pricey for some reason?]

I have managed to stop the saddle slipping forwards but it is at best a temporary solution so I do need to do something about it but I have so much else to deal with too and so little money...

A CLEAN SLATE FOR THE FUTURE

Last edited by blue eyed pony; 10-22-2013 at 02:12 AM.
blue eyed pony is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In the saddle.
Posts: 5,157
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyed pony View Post
The other thing that's difficult there is that those are all expensive brands -hides- I have no money! So basically I want the world for nothing, and I know I can't have that.

I have managed to stop the saddle slipping forwards but it is at best a temporary solution so I do need to do something about it but I have so much else to deal with too and so little money...
I know it sucks that good quality tack is so expensive - but it is so worth it. I think Wintec has a couple more contoured girths - might be a lesser price... I find the better quality girths I use - regardless of shape - that I don't get rubs.

Just keep pinching your pennies!! I am too for a new jumping saddle so I can stop showing up to jump in my dressage tack and getting laughed at :P

They say money doesn't buy happiness -- well happiness doesn't buy horses!
~*~anebel~*~ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New saddle, I'm in love, spin off thread Golden Horse Horse Tack and Equipment 12 10-13-2012 09:40 AM
I love this saddle, it fits me, will it work for Willow? Golden Horse Horse Tack and Equipment 42 08-06-2012 07:15 PM
Endurance/trail saddle pads - which ones do you love and hate? DancingArabian Horse Tack and Equipment 4 03-22-2012 03:40 PM
Spotted Saddle Horse Registry-(I'm in LOVE with my new SSH, is yours just as sweet?) TjWr Gaited Horses 13 07-03-2011 12:23 PM
I love my saddle more than my horse! petitepyromaniac Horse Tack and Equipment 34 05-02-2011 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome