The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovating old stables

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kay Armstrong 
#1 ·
We are now at the stage of installing the stalls. On the outside of the stalls we are going to put weatherproofing sealer. Can that sealer be put on the inside of the stalls or would that be harmful to the horses?
Also outside for the fencing we would like to use pressure treated 2" x 6"s - is the pressure treated wood OK to use for the horses or harmful?
We would like to hire a consultant who has experience in running a commercial horse ranch. We need him to walk us thru all the operations and whatever is necessary in running a commercial horse ranch. FYI - ranch boards approximately 60 horses. There is 1/2 mile practice track on this ranch so knowledge in the racing field would be helpful also.
We are located in Ocean County NJ.

#2 ·
Pressure treated wood is OK to use, but just be aware that maintenance costs with wood fencing are going to be steeper in the long run than many other forms of fencing. You have horses chewing it, rubbing their butts on them, and the effects of sun, rain, insects and other issues, you have to paint it, etc. Also, you have safety concerns - splinters, broken boards, nails.

If you love the look of 3-board fencing but want something that will last longer, vinyl board fencing is going to be a bigger investment per square foot, but you will spend less over the years maintaining it, and you don't have to worry about weathering or insects. Horses may still try to chew it, but vinyl would also stand up better to the abuse that horses can throw at it.

As far as the weather sealer on the inside of the stalls, I wouldn't do it if there is any question of the horses ingesting it. Talk to a vet before you do anything chemical to something a horse has access to.

In NJ, I would contact the New Jersey Professional Horseman's Association
and see if you can find a consultant, or someone willing to act as such. Be prepared to pay them a decent rate for their time and expertise.

#3 ·
I would argue against vinyl board, yes it is long lasting and virtually maintenance free, but when it does start to go it can shatter and be horrible, there is also the question of end of life disposal. Wood can be recycled, into fire wood if nothing else, or will eventually rot back into the ground.

Fencing is a huge expense, and lots of things to think about.

#4 ·
I'm a fan of No-Climb V-Mesh horse fencing and a top and bottom board to keep it from sagging. I also would run a hot wire along the top and maybe the bottom boards.

Go ahead with the sealer on the outside, but be very careful about where it is applied on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.