Racing at such a young age - Page 9
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeding > Sport Horses

Racing at such a young age

This is a discussion on Racing at such a young age within the Sport Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeding category
  • What are the results of racing a horse at young ages

Like Tree17Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
  #81
Yearling
And say what you will, there is not way you can "lightly" race a horse if you ever plan to win. At least not ot US tracks. There's always going to be some horse or horses that have trained hard and able to take the purse. If you run light you're not going to win. So you have to train that 2 year old to the standard that every other 2 year old is being trained to race at.

The developement rate of a horse is not really disputable. That hard running (not a dash across the pasture), which is what racing is, is damaging to developing joints is accepted and stated by the "non racing" equine medical community.

As for colt and filly races. They have their own races. There's even a triple crown for fillies, but it doesn't get the attention, because it's not as fast (usually...Ruffian comes to mind). But the results are the same. And you make my point by them pulling out winning colt so it can just be a stud. They could still race him during the season and breed him off season. Make a lot more money that way. But they know the risk of breakdown is significant and that's why they pull them out. If there was little risk of a breakdown they would keep racing them.

The numbers that hold up and stay sound are so small by comparison.
Of course I take issue with anyone who's working a horse at two. Whether it's racing or driving cattle. You train young horses, you don't work them. Training can be kept light and easy. The horse can be taught things as it grows. Working should start after it's finished growing. Do people in others areas work horses too young. Of course. But we're discussing the industry that has the most money and wastes the largest number of horses annually in the US. Which is TB racing.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    09-30-2011, 07:47 PM
  #82
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
Cushion, or traction?

No matter what the outer cushion, the inner cushion (joints) are not ready to be worked like that. Soft dirt or not.

Barrel racers have soft cushion under their feet also, but I would never barrel race a 2 year old and then say "oh he's fine he has cushion."

Saying one surface is better for the horse than the other doesn't mean a thing in my mind. I don't care what sport it is, 2 IS TOO YOUNG!! Heck I didn't even start my horse in training til 4, because her knees did not close til around then, and she was part *thoroughbred.*

I find it interesting, still no one has mentioned nurse mare foals... hmm.
Nurse mares can be yet another negative aspect of the racing industry. Although not related to racing too young, it's full length topic on in it's own right.

(actually, the knees form up at about 24 months....add a few months if a colt/gelding, but the top of the humerus and the bottom of the scapula don't close until 3-3.5 years) Your point is well made though. If legs joints are still developing they don't need the stress of racing. And some in the equine medical community point to issues with the back while racing. But there's less information on that at this time.
     
    09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
  #83
Green Broke
Please ignore the fact that Peta had anything to do with this video. Just watch it. I am NOT a Peta fan AT ALL! But the video does give some insight.

I believe this is pre-sale sprints.
     
    09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
  #84
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
And say what you will, there is not way you can "lightly" race a horse if you ever plan to win.
Actually, I said you could lightly race a TWO year old, not just lightly race a horse. And yes, you can lightly race a horse as a two year old. A few races where they are allowed to run with no pressure.

(But I also consider Thoroughbreds lightly raced anyways, since the majority of them do not race as frequently as Standardbreds.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
As for colt and filly races. They have their own races.
Yes, they are divided up, but there are also conditions written for a co-ed race. Fillies and Mares are normally allowed more money won, and/or a few more starts, then the Colts and Geldings. Stakes races are about the only races that have their absolute, but even then, some of them allow both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
You train young horses, you don't work them. Training can be kept light and easy.
Which is what you would be doing if you were racing them lightly as a two year old. Don't expect anything from them, just let them figure out what is going on, and expose them. It makes it much easier for them to come back as a three year old with their game face on, after seeing what their job is at two.

Training IS work, no matter what discipline you ride in. Without the work, you do not get thorough training.
BCtazzie likes this.
     
    10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
  #85
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe    
Please ignore the fact that Peta had anything to do with this video. Just watch it. I am NOT a Peta fan AT ALL! But the video does give some insight.

I believe this is pre-sale sprints.
That video is awful!! But it is necessary to prove that racing is not about the horses at all.

I don't need any more proof, my mind is made up, as it has been for years.

I will never support this nonsense.
     
    10-02-2011, 12:44 AM
  #86
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
Which is what you would be doing if you were racing them lightly as a two year old. Don't expect anything from them, just let them figure out what is going on, and expose them. It makes it much easier for them to come back as a three year old with their game face on, after seeing what their job is at two.

Training IS work, no matter what discipline you ride in. Without the work, you do not get thorough training.
At 54 I've never seen, on a US track, a "light" race at any age. Also never seen any off track purse race that was "light". People racing for money, but just letting the horse "figure out what is going on" must be VERY new concept.

Yes, training is "work", but when train a horse to turn, to trot or canter for a few yards on command or with signals that doesn't pose a significant risk to young joints. Getting on them and racing them for over a 1/2 mile does.
But do tell us what tracks run the light "figure out what's going on" races and what these races are called. I'd love to hear about the new industry reports that point out that the horses running these races don't break down when they are racing with the "big boys" at 3 years and older. In fact these reports don't exist, because if this was true the TB racing industy would be putting them out in bold print everyplace they could. They'd get it on national news.
     
    10-02-2011, 12:54 AM
  #87
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe    
Please ignore the fact that Peta had anything to do with this video. Just watch it. I am NOT a Peta fan AT ALL! But the video does give some insight.

I believe this is pre-sale sprints.
Young Blood: Fatal Breakdowns of Juvenile Racehorses - YouTube
PETA folks hate me anyway. I kill and eat animals (domestic and wiild). Wear and use leather products from dead animals instead of the faux leather they prefer .
The last time a PETA and vegan person had lunch with some friends and I, she stormed off after I asked her why she was in favor of hundreds of thousands of animals parishing annually from starvation as a result of people giving up eating meat and hunting. Which would result in a huge population explotion in the wild populations. And since her part of her argument against domestic "meat" was it uses up more grain for less return than just using the grain as a human food sourse (very true statement). But then if we don't feed them they starve. (Her): they can set free to return to the wild. But then they compete with the wild life for the same limitted food sources resulting in an even faster rate of starvation. And then you also run the chance of wiping out certain species too.
They really don't like me
     
    10-02-2011, 06:09 PM
  #88
Green Broke
Like I said. I'm not a PETA fan and I don't mind racing. But... I don't agree with racing them like that when they are that young. They aren't even bred for soundness anymore. I guess I'm not a race horse industry fan. But I do enjoy watching the horses run. I would have brought up the fact that millions of animals die annually during harvests from being chopped up in blades, ran over or having their homes dug up. So if we ate more grains... we'd kill more harmless bunnies!
     
    10-02-2011, 10:18 PM
  #89
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpJoe    
Like I said. I'm not a PETA fan and I don't mind racing. But... I don't agree with racing them like that when they are that young. They aren't even bred for soundness anymore. I guess I'm not a race horse industry fan. But I do enjoy watching the horses run. I would have brought up the fact that millions of animals die annually during harvests from being chopped up in blades, ran over or having their homes dug up. So if we ate more grains... we'd kill more harmless bunnies!
Have to say it:
Those bunnies aren't so harmless to my garden, but that's ok , because I do love hassenpfeffer and those garden eating bunnies are very accommodating (and tasty).

I wish I could have gotten more bunnies when we gathered a crop or cut hay, but most of what we found in the fiields were rats. Hard for me to feel sorry for them and I wasn't hungry enough to put them on the menu
     
    10-03-2011, 03:12 PM
  #90
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by its lbs not miles    
Have to say it:
Those bunnies aren't so harmless to my garden, but that's ok , because I do love hassenpfeffer and those garden eating bunnies are very accommodating (and tasty).

I wish I could have gotten more bunnies when we gathered a crop or cut hay, but most of what we found in the fiields were rats. Hard for me to feel sorry for them and I wasn't hungry enough to put them on the menu

LOL
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barrel Racing and Racing Bloodline. HopalongCassidy General Off Topic Discussion 4 02-24-2011 02:08 PM
Young Rider, Young horse Cowboy Ken Horse Videos 14 11-08-2010 01:00 PM
too young? horseluver50 Horse Talk 10 10-31-2009 11:57 PM
What's your view on training young Thoroughbreds for racing? SamboStar Horse Health 49 04-28-2009 07:51 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0