By the way I have seen pictures of that arabian mare of yours. She is very nice and like you stated IMO deserves to be bred.
That foal would have a value more than most foals.
I dont see how you would lose. Shalom Donald
LOL that is a whole different discussion, I am no longer a breeder of any sort, I just have two nice Arab mares, mother and daughter, mum is no longer able to be bred, so have one who I could breed.
How would I lose? Well I am very attached to her, and waiting for her mother to give birth to her last foal, well that was very very tough, and I would be even more worried about Emmy. That is why I could never be a big breeder, only want to use mares I like, then worry about them the whole time. So yes, however small the possibility the biggest loss is that I could lose Emmy.
How could I lose? I don't have a lot of money, we are farmers on the prairies, farming is tough right now, once again, Emmy's mum, she came down with colic after her last foaling, I knew what it was, I knew that I needed the vet NOW, but the look on husbands face as I was dialling the number haunts me. I knew that the vet was needed, I knew that sooner would be cheaper, and would mean a good outcome for Ace, while he was on wait and see. I knew that in the seven years we have lived here money has never been an issue with the vet, I either pay the whole bill at the end of the month, or I make payments, it is never an issue. That one incident right there made me list the breeding herd, I had no business having them just because I loved them.
How can I lose, well the stud I want for Emmy has $1000 stud fee, then I have to factor in AI costs or transport and mare care for her, lets figure $1500 total to get her in foal, then vet care and extras through pregnancy, lets argue $2000 to get the foal on the ground, heck lets call it to weaning. So now I need to sell the weanling for $2000 just to break even, and I just wont get that sort of money here, $1500 tops I would say, $1000 maybe, depends on the foal, so I could lose there.
How could I lose? Well I could get a perfectly beautiful and correct foal out of this, and I could keep her (OK or him) to join my collection of beautiful Arabs, but to what end, I have two gorgeous girls already, and I also have a part bred who I love to bits, so I don't NEED another one.
So my internal battle goes on, of course I would love a foal, I just don't need another horse