My only issue is around here AI isn't as easy as it sounds. Our routine vaccination, blood pulling, general call vet is real close by. For things like teeth floating, palpation, and US our vets are a little bit further away and are more experienced with equines. But to get one of the equine vets out to track ovulation where it needs to be fairly spot on, would cost us thousands, and piled on if they didn't catch. It really isn't about the money, as I'm not planning to get rich breeding horses, but it is the efficiency. Even to bring our mares their for the day, it is a several hour drive.
For this stud, pasture breeding is our only option. Here we have the facility to separate the three from everyone else. They will have their own fenced in paddock, pasture, a large shelter and an automatic water.
The owner recently moved, so I am not sure what their new farm is like, but I would imagine they are putting up new fences. But they might string two lines of hot wire and it is good for them. I would imagine all the horses would have to run together, so that is throwing my mares with their herd. I see more danger there.
Here, again, I have the facility to do this, and the experience. I hope what I am going to say won't be translated wrong, but this isn't your million dollar stud. He IS 100% worthy of being a stallion, but he isn't I'll Have Another or Secretariat. He is proven in what he produces, and his sound mind and body. From what I know, he isn't broke to ride or drive, and I know many people believe that a horse should have to show to be proven, but he produces winners, and for me that is better than a Secretariat who produces sub-par animals for his quality. He is pastured with other horses, not kept alone, he doesn't have his very own handler, nor a staff en garde. His owner is a good man, and I cannot foresee it being an issue. This stud has been leased out before, and neither parties had an issue.
I am looking to have 'early' foals, so something around March/April would be ideal. I am going to keep an eye out for their heats, and if they stop coming in, get preg checked. If I can get both mares settled I don't have a problem keeping him, but could send him back. If I can't get my older mare to take,(although I don't think it will be an issue,) I will likely send him back so I don't have her getting bred and due to foal in the worst heat of the summer. My older mare always carries 12 months, and it is characteristic of the breed to do so, I can only figure my other mare would carry longer, too. So the stallion in question won't be around for a terribly long time.
I don't think there are any laws regarding breeding around here. (Although I will look into it...) Horses aren't a huge part of the goings on in this area. *Most* breeders in this area hand breed, though. With one they have Clydesdales for show, so I understand that aspect. But others who have two unsocialized crazies for three mares and sell their foals at auctions.
This stud is an American Bashkir Curly horse. Gorgeous guy, but I can't wait until I can get some good snapshots of him. His kids out of my mares will be ABCR registered, and eligible for several other registries. His lines in particular are pretty riddled with Appaloosas, and make some nice horses. Soft on the eyes, and have so much stamina and versatility. His color is only a bonus, really, as I wouldn't mind a nice chestnut. He's dunskin, or some sort of dun, and has a bit of a blanket/frosted hips. My filly out of him is a red dun, nice frosted hips and some chrome on her.
I have lots of plans, and a demand for these foals, though I never count my chicks before they hatch.
When I get a stallion of my own I want to get something young enough to break out and use. We do some driving and farm work with our horses, so I would love to work any stallion of mine out in the field. I like riding, too, but using a stud for that he won't have a consistent enough job.
Thank you all; got me thinking of some more aspects of this whole deal to get checked out. I hope for all parties this works out well. I agree to have my own stallion would be better and less risky in a certain sense, and if I owned my own stud that I worked I wouldn't lease him out. But if I stood my stallion to others I'd have the facility to take on mares, the stud owner really isn't set up for that, nor do I think it was his intention.