Look for in stallion?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Stallions and Broodmares

Look for in stallion?

This is a discussion on Look for in stallion? within the Stallions and Broodmares forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category

    Like Tree283Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-03-2013, 01:10 AM
      #1
    Yearling
    Look for in stallion?

    Im bery interested in to hear what breeders look for in a stallion. Im going to use this to choose future sires to cover my mares, also to determine whether or not j should cut my colt.
    Typically being in the barrel racing world, I look for disposition, conformation in the back and legs, thickness or muscling and I like my horses with wide shoulders to match their rear end. What is there that other breeders think about?
    I have a two month colt im starting to watch to see what I should do with him.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-03-2013, 01:29 AM
      #2
    Yearling
    I look for conformation, temperament, overall picture and use-ability. If you have some twit with a stud, who can't do anything with it except take pictures of it running around a field that is a HUGE turn off. I want to know the stud is a good equine citizen and is being put through his paces!


    If you have the space and ability to handle the colt I see no problem with letting him mature to see how he turns out. Unless he's got a bad mind, it never hurts! Do you have any pictures?
    TamarackLane likes this.
         
        08-03-2013, 02:48 AM
      #3
    Yearling
    Temperament is a big thing. You want a horse that is gentle and respectful at all times, even when he's going to be doing the deed. You wouldn't want any major conformation flaws - a little one here and there could be overlooked if the stallion has a great personality and otherwise solid conformation.

    And yes, you want a horse that you can use. I've met two stallions that I absolutely adore because they are people horses, respectful, and get used. One is a reiner, the other gets used for stockwork, and even when breeding season rolls around, they still have a good head on their shoulders.
    Aesthetic, MGTS and KigerQueen like this.
         
        08-03-2013, 10:21 AM
      #4
    Green Broke
    Temperament and a good mind have to be a given. If they're rank or undependable/unpredictable, they're useless to me. I need to be sure these traits are passed on to my foals. Conformation and beauty are also important, else why bother? Versatility and a good work ethic are necessary, but perhaps the most important thing next to a good mind is his ability to produce. The paramount reason to keep a stallion intact IMO is his ability to create outstanding foals. THIS is how he proves himself. Very few are kept just as "buddies." There are too many stallions with titles that produce crap and plenty without them that produce gold. Always look at his get before choosing a stallion, and look for lines that are known to be prepotent.

    My two colts, Gold N Psynn-Psyation and Gold N Echo, are the result of a stallion (Golden Ecstasy) with an amazing temperament, beauty, conformation, movement, and great mind. Both colts have inherited all that and more.

    My stallion,Obsidian Dream S shares all of the above, easily handled during breeding and he as calm as a cucumber, extremely intelligent- picks things up wicked fast, is curious and friendly, and has no ax to grind. He has passed calmness, a good mind, beauty, type, and movement on to his daughter, Dream of Faery Fire. THIS proves him. The colts I have now, and his other get, prove Golden Ecstasy.

    A perfect example of the whole package:


    What he produces:












    Obsidian Dream S:





    What he produces:





    (and these are her "ugly" phase)








    The proof's in the pudding, so they say! All the ribbons in the world have no bearing on a sire's innate ability to produce exceptional get. That always has to be proven in the breeding shed.
         
        08-03-2013, 11:12 AM
      #5
    Yearling
    So what do they actually do? Are they trained in anything or are they just horses that run around in a pasture so you can photograph them? The world doesn't need more horses that are pasture puffs. Why exactly DO you breed for? What is your market?
    TamarackLane, Inga and Muppetgirl like this.
         
        08-03-2013, 02:36 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsBHavin    
    I look for conformation, temperament, overall picture and use-ability. If you have some twit with a stud, who can't do anything with it except take pictures of it running around a field that is a HUGE turn off. I want to know the stud is a good equine citizen and is being put through his paces!


    If you have the space and ability to handle the colt I see no problem with letting him mature to see how he turns out. Unless he's got a bad mind, it never hurts! Do you have any pictures?
    Agreed, the stallion I used wasn't at his peak of...."ability" just yet. The colt is two months old. Pardon his dirtiness and his nibble wounds from momma.
    He's a little on the antisocial side, getting more and more curious every day. This might be because I wasn't home the day of his birth :/ Owner of his sire said the stud, Chief, was completely calm at six months.







    He's in these two pastures until he is weaned. He'll be moved to a much more...mobile place for him. I don't want him learning bad habits from the filly in this pasture with him :/ Repairing a fence hopefully doesn't take a toll on his attitude being with those few horses.
         
        08-03-2013, 02:39 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tracer    
    Temperament is a big thing. You want a horse that is gentle and respectful at all times, even when he's going to be doing the deed. You wouldn't want any major conformation flaws - a little one here and there could be overlooked if the stallion has a great personality and otherwise solid conformation.

    And yes, you want a horse that you can use. I've met two stallions that I absolutely adore because they are people horses, respectful, and get used. One is a reiner, the other gets used for stockwork, and even when breeding season rolls around, they still have a good head on their shoulders.
    The sire's conformation wasn't /Stellar/. This colt seems to have taken the more from his dam than his sire. I won't really be able to know until the colt is a little older. Sadly, I was hoping the sire would be up to his game by now, but the previous owner of him set him out to pasture after an injury and he hasn't done a thing since. He was such a good stallion. Great temperament, did anything you asked and was like a puppy anywhere you had him. I swear the interest in mares he had didn't exist!
         
        08-03-2013, 02:40 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsBHavin    
    So what do they actually do? Are they trained in anything or are they just horses that run around in a pasture so you can photograph them? The world doesn't need more horses that are pasture puffs. Why exactly DO you breed for? What is your market?
    Barrel Racing and Pole bending horses. Rodeo bred. I breed for the typical conformation of a barrel horse. Thick and low hocks, slightly downhill, thick rear end and shoulder, short back, short thick neck. I like a little bit of height as well.
         
        08-03-2013, 02:41 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Druydess    
    Temperament and a good mind have to be a given. If they're rank or undependable/unpredictable, they're useless to me. I need to be sure these traits are passed on to my foals. Conformation and beauty are also important, else why bother? Versatility and a good work ethic are necessary, but perhaps the most important thing next to a good mind is his ability to produce. The paramount reason to keep a stallion intact IMO is his ability to create outstanding foals. THIS is how he proves himself. Very few are kept just as "buddies." There are too many stallions with titles that produce crap and plenty without them that produce gold. Always look at his get before choosing a stallion, and look for lines that are known to be prepotent.

    My two colts, Gold N Psynn-Psyation and Gold N Echo, are the result of a stallion (Golden Ecstasy) with an amazing temperament, beauty, conformation, movement, and great mind. Both colts have inherited all that and more.

    My stallion,Obsidian Dream S shares all of the above, easily handled during breeding and he as calm as a cucumber, extremely intelligent- picks things up wicked fast, is curious and friendly, and has no ax to grind. He has passed calmness, a good mind, beauty, type, and movement on to his daughter, Dream of Faery Fire. THIS proves him. The colts I have now, and his other get, prove Golden Ecstasy.

    A perfect example of the whole package:

    Golden Ecstasy - YouTube

    What he produces:












    Obsidian Dream S:





    What he produces:





    (and these are her "ugly" phase)








    The proof's in the pudding, so they say! All the ribbons in the world have no bearing on a sire's innate ability to produce exceptional get. That always has to be proven in the breeding shed.
    Definitely a stunning stallion! I agree with you in this post!
         
        08-03-2013, 06:31 PM
      #10
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aesthetic    
    Agreed, the stallion I used wasn't at his peak of...."ability" just yet. The colt is two months old. Pardon his dirtiness and his nibble wounds from momma.
    He's a little on the antisocial side, getting more and more curious every day. This might be because I wasn't home the day of his birth :/ Owner of his sire said the stud, Chief, was completely calm at six months.







    He's in these two pastures until he is weaned. He'll be moved to a much more...mobile place for him. I don't want him learning bad habits from the filly in this pasture with him :/ Repairing a fence hopefully doesn't take a toll on his attitude being with those few horses.
    Look at the he's ol
    Hind end on him! He's going to be a stunner when he's older!!
         

    Tags
    desirable, geld, stallions, traits

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Which stallion is best?!?!?!?! Horseygirlsmith Horse Breeding 32 02-19-2012 09:00 AM
    stallion seven Horse Training 25 12-09-2011 02:23 PM
    New Stallion PaintsPwn Horse Pictures 14 05-24-2010 08:37 PM
    What stallion?? Trissacar Horse Breeding 10 04-26-2009 07:23 PM
    Stallion imtufftothete Horse Breeding 5 01-26-2008 08:18 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0