Look for in stallion? - Page 13 - The Horse Forum
 283Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 92
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiningfan View Post
I agree, Fourteen, a stallion should be the total package and only way to truly prove disposition and tractable natural is to ride them. So many people spout disposition, but what are they like to ride and start?
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. If you can't post pictures and proof of your stud under saddle actually doing something useful, then what proof do you?
Golden Horse and MsBHavin like this.

Last edited by tinyliny; 09-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Fourteen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 896
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen View Post
Exactly. If you can't post pictures and proof of your stud under saddle actually doing something useful, then what proof do you?.
Too many horses going to slaughter every day to breed horses you can't register, ride, or do anything other than shake a stick at.
Fourteen likes this.

People with true credibility and integrity don't need to tell other people how great they are.

Last edited by tinyliny; 09-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.
MsBHavin is offline  
post #123 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 311
• Horses: 0
I had trouble posting pics of my one stallion when I had mine, because mostly I was the one on him, with nobody to bring to take pics, so I made the effort and got some taken. Lost them when my computer died, unfortunately.
My other stallion was shown in reining, first by a pro, then non pro and after we gelded him, was shown by a few youths.
That's just part of the package, the first stallion produced great youth/amateur horses and I have loads of pictures and videos to prove that.
Posted via Mobile Device
MsBHavin and MyLittlePonies like this.
reiningfan is offline  
post #124 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 92
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiningfan View Post
I had trouble posting pics of my one stallion when I had mine, because mostly I was the one on him, with nobody to bring to take pics, so I made the effort and got some taken. Lost them when my computer died, unfortunately.
My other stallion was shown in reining, first by a pro, then non pro and after we gelded him, was shown by a few youths.
That's just part of the package, the first stallion produced great youth/amateur horses and I have loads of pictures and videos to prove that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Again, this is what a breeder of quality would do. If you are intending to run a "breeding operation" that any one is going to take seriously, then you get those pictures/proof no matter how you have to arrange going about it. Its part of the whole package.
MsBHavin likes this.

Last edited by Lockwood; 09-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Fourteen is offline  
post #125 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 896
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen View Post
Again, this is what a breeder of quality would do. If you are intending to run a "breeding operation" that any one is going to take seriously, then you get those pictures/proof no matter how you have to arrange going about it. Its part of the whole package.
That is what I LOVE about great breeders. They KNOW what they have, they don't have to come online and try to prove it. The woman who bred my Fjord is an amazing breeder. She knows the lines inside and out, took the time to talk with me and figure out what horse would suit me best. We talked for a good year before I settled on my boy, he is EVERYTHING I could have asked for.

His breeder also goes above and beyond in showing her horses. She drives them in classes, ALL of her foals have gone on to have amazing careers as riding and show horses. I see daily posts on her Facebook of all her 'children' out and about showing their little hearts out. It is such a great thing to see.

People with true credibility and integrity don't need to tell other people how great they are.

Last edited by Lockwood; 09-08-2013 at 01:25 PM.
MsBHavin is offline  
post #126 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 10,692
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen View Post
Exactly. If you can't post pictures and proof of your stud under saddle actually doing something useful, then what proof do you have?.
There are all kinds of horse owners out there. Some feel riding (or rideability) ranks at the very top of the list.
Some don’t.
I’m betting the lady who uses a motorized wheel chair for mobility because she is paralyzed probably doesn’t care about the rideability of a horse or youngster she is looking to buy.
Owning horses can sometimes be on the same level as just owning a good pet because people see beauty in different ways.

The joy and happiness one can find from owning, interacting with, caring, or even ground training can be just as fulfilling.
Yep…lots of ways to own and enjoy horses, and lots of ways to market to the masses.
Druydess likes this.

Last edited by tinyliny; 09-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Lockwood is offline  
post #127 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 311
• Horses: 0
That's very true, but the majority of the horse buying public uses their horses for riding or driving. No point in breeding for the people who just want pets to look at it in the pasture. There are many who come out of purpose bred programs that will fit that bill.
Halter horses are a whole different ballgame, eespecially in the stock breeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
NdAppy and MsBHavin like this.
reiningfan is offline  
post #128 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 896
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockwood View Post
There are all kinds of horse owners out there. Some feel riding (or rideability) ranks at the very top of the list.
Some don’t.
I’m betting the lady who uses a motorized wheel chair for mobility because she is paralyzed probably doesn’t care about the rideability of a horse or youngster she is looking to buy.
Owning horses can sometimes be on the same level as just owning a good pet because people see beauty in different ways.

The joy and happiness one can find from owning, interacting with, caring, or even ground training can be just as fulfilling.
Yep…lots of ways to own and enjoy horses, and lots of ways to market to the masses.

How many disabled people have the funding to actually own a horse, how many disabled people have the space, time or ability to work with a horse? That doesn't mean that people who foolishly pump out foals they have NO goals and or homes for, are breeding for that type of owner.

People with true credibility and integrity don't need to tell other people how great they are.
MsBHavin is offline  
post #129 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,060
• Horses: 2
I agree 100% that there are all sorts of owners who buy for all sorts of reasons, but simply breeding to be pretty seems to fall short to me. To strive to breed the best looking animal for a purpose makes perfect sense, because there will be those who don't make the grade, and they become the pretty pasture pets for those who want them.
Golden Horse is online now  
post #130 of 196 Old 09-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 37,629
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBHavin View Post
How many disabled people have the funding to actually own a horse, how many disabled people have the space, time or ability to work with a horse? That doesn't mean that people who foolishly pump out foals they have NO goals and or homes for, are breeding for that type of owner.
\
Isn't " people who pump out" foals" from a stallion that is never ridden, or has very little ridden life experience something one could say about a fair number of QH breeders? They breed horses that are for halter showing, so their ridability is pretty unimportant. The stud is so beefy, with shrunken feet, that to ride him is to kill him. Does this fall into the same category of breeders blowing hot air? Lot's of glitzy photos of the horses giant backside, but horse has feet that will not carry him 5 miles under saddle.
Druydess, dbarabians and Lockwood like this.
tinyliny is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
desirable , geld , stallions , traits

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which stallion is best?!?!?!?! Horseygirlsmith Horse Breeding 32 02-19-2012 09:00 AM
stallion seven Horse Training 25 12-09-2011 02:23 PM
New Stallion PaintsPwn Horse Pictures 14 05-24-2010 08:37 PM
What stallion?? Trissacar Horse Breeding 10 04-26-2009 07:23 PM
Stallion imtufftothete Horse Breeding 5 01-26-2008 08:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome