Look for in stallion? - Page 8 - The Horse Forum
 283Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druydess View Post
Awww... what a sweet boy!! I saw him on another thread..

I'm not a QH/Paint person, so you need to get input from those who have this expertise. I'm sure there are plenty on this and other forums. But the best thing is to get an IRL person to give you some direction. It really is a big help, and here... online - you can get a wonderful person or a complete fool. So - choose wisely. You have time; he's just a baby yet. In the interim, feed him well, spend ALL your free time with him, and enjoy him immensely!
I'm spending all I can! Momma just..."tolerates" me. So hopefully he learns from his little bachelor buddy who LOVES the human attention. He's getting more social, I might go grab some treats that are...safe for foals...if those exist to get him to nibble from my hands.
dbarabians likes this.

Last edited by tinyliny; 08-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Aesthetic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,827
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
I'm spending all I can! Momma just..."tolerates" me. So hopefully he learns from his little bachelor buddy who LOVES the human attention. He's getting more social, I might go grab some treats that are...safe for foals...if those exist to get him to nibble from my hands.
If he's 3 months.. use plain ol' feed.. THEY think it's a treat..

I would sit with them with handfuls of it and they just thought I was the best thing ever..
dbarabians likes this.

For those who don't like me-- it's mind over matter; I don't mind - - and you don't matter.
www.obsidianarabians.com
Druydess is offline  
post #73 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druydess View Post
If he's 3 months.. use plain ol' feed.. THEY think it's a treat..

I would sit with them with handfuls of it and they just thought I was the best thing ever..
I try that almost every day! Lol Momma comes up with her big ol' mouth and snatches it while they baby is still trying to find out if its poison...
Aesthetic is offline  
post #74 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,827
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
I try that almost every day! Lol Momma comes up with her big ol' mouth and snatches it while they baby is still trying to find out if its poison...
Chase her away and he'll come investigate. You have to be very firm with the mommas..
dbarabians likes this.

For those who don't like me-- it's mind over matter; I don't mind - - and you don't matter.
www.obsidianarabians.com
Druydess is offline  
post #75 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druydess View Post
Chase her away and he'll come investigate. You have to be very firm with the mommas..
She's just so.... That one cuddle horse out of all. The big plush pony you want to squeeze lol
Aesthetic is offline  
post #76 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,919
• Horses: 0
OP that foal is going to have a very nice rump and develop nicely all over.
You have plenty of time to watch him grow and mature to decide which direction to go in his training.
Those pictures make his head look a little plain but when I take pictures of my arabians they all have large heads like a draft horse. So I will reserve judgement for later. Shalom
dbarabians is offline  
post #77 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians View Post
OP that foal is going to have a very nice rump and develop nicely all over.
You have plenty of time to watch him grow and mature to decide which direction to go in his training.
Those pictures make his head look a little plain but when I take pictures of my arabians they all have large heads like a draft horse. So I will reserve judgement for later. Shalom
Alright, I might make a critique thread for him in Conformation Critique, I just don't like hearing people say "Would Be A Nice Gelding" before he's done any growing.
dbarabians likes this.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #78 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,919
• Horses: 0
Well your going to get the Nice gelding remark so don't allow it to get to you. It is your horse. Yours to do with whatever you choose. Keep that in mind.
I would get better pictures and wait. Once he has matured a little more his positive traits will be more apparent.
I would get a paint or qh breeder or reputable owner over to look at him in person. IMO that would give you the best analysis of his conformation.
Why hurry if he is not for sale you have years to make the decision to keep him intact or not.
A word of warning though. That sweet little colt will be 1200 pounds of raging hormones in a few years. Train him well and with a firm patient hand to avoid any behavioral problems. That is of the utmost importance. Shalom
Druydess and Celeste like this.
dbarabians is offline  
post #79 of 196 Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 869
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians View Post
Well your going to get the Nice gelding remark so don't allow it to get to you. It is your horse. Yours to do with whatever you choose. Keep that in mind.
I would get better pictures and wait. Once he has matured a little more his positive traits will be more apparent.
I would get a paint or qh breeder or reputable owner over to look at him in person. IMO that would give you the best analysis of his conformation.
Why hurry if he is not for sale you have years to make the decision to keep him intact or not.
A word of warning though. That sweet little colt will be 1200 pounds of raging hormones in a few years. Train him well and with a firm patient hand to avoid any behavioral problems. That is of the utmost importance. Shalom
There are trainers around here who are very very good at helping teach a stallion manners. If he's anything like his daddy, he won't be to much to deal with.
Thank you(:
dbarabians likes this.
Aesthetic is offline  
post #80 of 196 Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,827
• Horses: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarabians View Post
Agree also Druydess that different breeds have different goals.
I know several QH and Paint breeders that test their stallions virility as soon as possible.
If one of the things I insist on when choosing a stallion is seeing the siblings and any offspring then it only makes sense to breed that animal if it is not in training.
That way when the horse is retired to the breeding shed full time there are examples of what it can do. Why wait several more years promoting a stallion when there is so much competition from proven stallions with progeny already on the ground , showing or in competition?
I don't breed racehorses yet. Arabians cannot race until they are a true 3 years of age. So what harm does it do to collect or breed a 2 YO?
From what I have observed in the past and talking to others NONE. Shalom
I think it's somewhat ironic that TB's are raced at 2, nowhere near mature, snapping bones, and ruined for life due to early stress on their joints and bones, and it's just fine..
But breed a horse, especially one that's younger, and OMG-- those panties bunch up a wad the size of Kansas.
Wadded panties notwithstanding, whatever decisions breeders make with regard to THEIR horses depends entirely on the horse. Each one has to be assessed individually.

For those who don't like me-- it's mind over matter; I don't mind - - and you don't matter.
www.obsidianarabians.com
Druydess is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
desirable , geld , stallions , traits

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which stallion is best?!?!?!?! Horseygirlsmith Horse Breeding 32 02-19-2012 09:00 AM
stallion seven Horse Training 25 12-09-2011 02:23 PM
New Stallion PaintsPwn Horse Pictures 14 05-24-2010 08:37 PM
What stallion?? Trissacar Horse Breeding 10 04-26-2009 07:23 PM
Stallion imtufftothete Horse Breeding 5 01-26-2008 08:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome