Post-delivery complications with TB Rachel Alexandra - Page 5
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Stallions and Broodmares

Post-delivery complications with TB Rachel Alexandra

This is a discussion on Post-delivery complications with TB Rachel Alexandra within the Stallions and Broodmares forums, part of the Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics category
  • Rachel alexandra genetics
  • Rachel alexandra foal

Like Tree34Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-25-2013, 11:27 AM
  #41
Green Broke
I'm not a fan of embryo transfer, I really think it diminishes the value of a bloodline and the resulting off spring. Say this mare had 15 foals. With embryo transfer she could easily tripple that.

Its unfortunate she is having such trouble, but with each foal being worth so much she will likely be bred again.

These high end thoroughbred brood mares are some of the best cared for, and I'm sure she is receiving the best vet care humanly possible.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
  #42
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpark    
I'm not a fan of embryo transfer, I really think it diminishes the value of a bloodline and the resulting off spring. Say this mare had 15 foals. With embryo transfer she could easily tripple that.
I don't get this logic. The top stallions are putting upwards of 600 foals on the ground in their careers. It's not diminishing their value. The mares are providing more genetic diversity.
Celeste likes this.
     
    02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  #43
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple    
I personally don't feel that requiring the mare to carry her own foal is a bad thing - it ensures that the mare is properly cared for throughout her pregnancy and when the foal hits the ground. How many of the average broodmares out there would be shifted to the back the property and barely looked at if they weren't going to carry their own foal? Mares receive good feed, vitamins and proper vet care - do we all think this would continue otherwise?.
Any surrogate mare is going to receive top notch care. You are not going to go into ET without the best of everything to ensure that you reap your financial goal with this pregnancy. You are only going to use proven mares so you are eliminating most of the potential risk factors that happens more often with high end maiden mares. You are going to virtually eliminate the nurse mare industry as the surrogates are more suited to raising the foals. Mares such as RA are never going to be shuffled off to the back pasture.
     
    02-25-2013, 12:43 PM
  #44
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
Any surrogate mare is going to receive top notch care. You are not going to go into ET without the best of everything to ensure that you reap your financial goal with this pregnancy. You are only going to use proven mares so you are eliminating most of the potential risk factors that happens more often with high end maiden mares. You are going to virtually eliminate the nurse mare industry as the surrogates are more suited to raising the foals. Mares such as RA are never going to be shuffled off to the back pasture.
I didn't say anything about the level of care of a surrogate mare, my comments were about the TBs. Yes, mares such as Rachel will receive top notch care - but for every one Rachel, there are thousands of everyday, average TB broodmares that would possibly be shoved out to the side and not receive the proper care.

I don't feel you would eliminate the nurse mare industry - will always be a need for nurse mares because we will never elimate the risk of losing any mare, of any age/breed/side, ect.
     
    02-25-2013, 12:54 PM
  #45
Green Broke
Quote:
I don't get this logic. The top stallions are putting upwards of 600 foals on the ground in their careers. It's not diminishing their value. The mares are providing more genetic diversity.
I don't agree with the stallions having dozens of offspring world wide every year using AI either, but to each their own.
     
    02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  #46
Trained
There are thousands of jobs and many farms that only exist to provide care for those TB broodmares and their foals.
Embryo transfer does lessen the value of a broodmare.
Rachel Alexandria and Zenyatta both are expected to only have so many foals. That increases their and their foals value immensely..
10 - 12 foals from each mare instead of 20-30 ensures those 10 foals are valuable even if they never race. Shalom
     
    02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
  #47
Started
I think one of the pros to embryo transfer is that you could get nurse mares carrying better quality foals. Right now, farms put mares into foal with whatever as long as its living that's what matter. Which creates some less then quality horses and results in young horses without much hope of finding a home. If those foals had value they would have a better chance of finding a home. Some will say that then the nurse mare would not be separated from the foal which is a possibility.

The thing about embryo transfer is that its so expensive right now. If your horse is not worth a certain dollar amount you are probably not going to embryo transfer on it. Which after you have spent as much as embryo costs you are going to make sure that mare and foal is well cared for.
     
    02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
  #48
Trained
Embryo transfer will no doubt be limited to very valuable animals. I think that it would be a good thing in any breed to allow an exceptionally valuable mare to produce more than one foal a year. This is not going to increase the population of mediocre foals. It will only increase the population of good foals due to the expense of the procedure. This means that the breed will improve.
     
    02-25-2013, 09:48 PM
  #49
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
Embryo transfer will no doubt be limited to very valuable animals. I think that it would be a good thing in any breed to allow an exceptionally valuable mare to produce more than one foal a year. This is not going to increase the population of mediocre foals. It will only increase the population of good foals due to the expense of the procedure. This means that the breed will improve.
Not even taking multiple births into consideration, allowing ET gives the breed the ability to reproduce a mare with valuable genetics who could otherwise not carry a foal to term. You have to verify parentage on any ET foal in the breeds that allow it. The JC require DNA testing on every foal eligible for registration now. What are they afraid of? I think RA will at least get them talking but nothing is going to change.
Celeste and rookie like this.
     
    02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
  #50
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSpark    
I don't agree with the stallions having dozens of offspring world wide every year using AI either, but to each their own.
The top stallion in #s of covered mare for 2011 covered over 200 mares. Why take the chances with your multi million dollar syndicated stallion by requiring live cover?
Celeste and rookie like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want Photo of Rachel Alexandra lady trainer Horse Pictures 9 07-06-2012 08:49 PM
Rachel Alexandra has a colt wyominggrandma Horse Breeding 23 01-25-2012 02:29 PM
Picture of Rachel Alexandra and Curlin's foal Sophie19 Horse Pictures 8 01-23-2012 08:36 PM
DID anyone else hear that Rachel Alexandra is having a colt? Citrus Horse Breeding 10 05-12-2011 06:43 PM
Congrats to Rachel Alexandra! Liv Horse Talk 7 06-09-2009 06:55 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0