Stallion behaviour 'n' stuff - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
 97Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Latvia
Posts: 1,371
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear View Post
So, you want someone to tell you it's ok? Ok, go ahead.
No, no really. I know it can be ok.
I want more than "you are asking for trouble" "he can kill the other horse" etc.
More explaining comments based on experiences, not just attitudes towards stallions.

Lins: The breed is Latvian driving horse.
Cherrij is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Stallions can kill geldings. You have no idea how this stallion is going to react to your gelding. I just wouldn't risk it myself. Also, you say the mares broke the fence down to get in with this stallion??? Hmmm I'd be more inclined to think he broke the fence down.

I'm also curious as to what breed this horse is.
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #13 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Latvia
Posts: 1,371
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Stallions can kill geldings. You have no idea how this stallion is going to react to your gelding. I just wouldn't risk it myself. Also, you say the mares broke the fence down to get in with this stallion??? Hmmm I'd be more inclined to think he broke the fence down.

I'm also curious as to what breed this horse is.
I said this Other stallion is a case where actually he was the victim of the mares, not he causing problems.

We actually saw one of the mares run through the fence. The stallion was calmly grazing most of the time so ye..

I know its hard to get past bias and stereotypes, but I asked for experience out of curiosity
Cherrij is offline  
post #14 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrij View Post
No, no really. I know it can be ok.
I want more than "you are asking for trouble" "he can kill the other horse" etc.
More explaining comments based on experiences, not just attitudes towards stallions.

Lins: The breed is Latvian driving horse.
Ok, explanation based on experience:

Stallions will and can fight to the death with geldings or other stallions, especially breeding stallions, older stallions and unfamiliar horses. Stallions will also attack mares they don't approve of. I have seen all these things.....that's my experience.

There was an incident at Olds college here in Alberta a while back, where some yahoos let the studs all out into a common area together.....one was killed.

How is that for experience......
Palomine likes this.
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #15 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,257
• Horses: 3
The smell of a mare is enough to trigger these inherant responses and the mare can be miles away. But again, if you feel want to take the risk, go ahead, but from my experience, I would not. My horses are too valuable to take the risk.
Palomine likes this.
waresbear is offline  
post #16 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,132
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl View Post
Stallions can kill geldings. You have no idea how this stallion is going to react to your gelding. I just wouldn't risk it myself. Also, you say the mares broke the fence down to get in with this stallion??? Hmmm I'd be more inclined to think he broke the fence down.

I'm also curious as to what breed this horse is.
Mares can and do bust down fences to get to stallions... I happen to own one that has done just that in the past.
NdAppy is offline  
post #17 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Latvia
Posts: 1,371
• Horses: 1
Well, here is experiences. Again, one of many. As we all know, stallions are individuals, however they should not be kept in solitude. So what exactly are you against? The fact I want a stallion, or the fact he will be out with a gelding? If it wont work we will find a solutions. Not all stallions attack, and I really have no wish tempting them with mares..

I do know how to introduce horses to new pasture friends. Its not like I will take the stallion, the gelding and throw them out in the field and leave them be.

So ok, I get that the opinion at the moment is, keep stallions stalled away from mares.
Fahntasia, Merlot and horsietori like this.
Cherrij is offline  
post #18 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,712
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrij View Post
Well, here is experiences. Again, one of many. As we all know, stallions are individuals, however they should not be kept in solitude. So what exactly are you against? The fact I want a stallion, or the fact he will be out with a gelding? If it wont work we will find a solutions. Not all stallions attack, and I really have no wish tempting them with mares..

I do know how to introduce horses to new pasture friends. Its not like I will take the stallion, the gelding and throw them out in the field and leave them be.

So ok, I get that the opinion at the moment is, keep stallions stalled away from mares.
Hmmmm wow, didn't think I said I was against you wanting a stallion, nor the fact that he is going to be turned out with a gelding. You asked for opinions and you got them. And yes, keep stallions away (not stalled) from mares unless you want a whole pile of foals falling on the ground.....
Muppetgirl is offline  
post #19 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cariboo, British Columbia
Posts: 11,257
• Horses: 3
I don't know the breed charateristics of a Lativan Driving Horse, but in my experience with stallions (I own a gelding who was a breeding stallion for a dozen years), they are first & foremost a breeding animal. Yes, you can train them to be gentlemen and behave properly around mares, etc, etc. BUT, instincts can take over when they are not under your control and they will do the things mother nature has programmed them to do, like attack another male to preserve their seed from carrying on. I have no problem with an experienced breeder keeping a stallion with mares, my former stallion was kept pastured along side of mares. He is now gelded, and it took him a while before he would except the company of a gelding, he attacked several through fences a year after he was gelded. Then he was alone for a month on a new place, he was pretty lonely, even looking for my dogs as company. Then my other gelding come home from training, (his son by the way), they stayed in side by side paddocks, then let out in pasture together, not much squabbling, but his younger son is the boss no doubt because it is "his" home to begin with, his dad was the late comer. Would I have just brought him home as a stallion & done this? No way in hell!
waresbear is offline  
post #20 of 71 Old 03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Georgia USA
Posts: 6,435
• Horses: 1
I don't think that anybody is against stallions. It is just that people that have experience with stallions know that they require special facilities. I have seen two types of management that worked.

1. The stallion is alone in secure fencing.
2. The stallion is with a little band of mares in secure fencing.

Stallions can and will kill geldings. They will escape their fencing and get in with other people's mares. They will get shot by angry mare owners. They will attack their owners. I know of one man that was severely injured when his cute and cuddly stallion tried to breed him. The man was knocked to the ground and his back was injured severely.

It is not their fault. They are simply animals acting on their instincts.

If you have a valuable stallion, that is great. Just be responsible and keep him secured.

Also, it is not right to get that gelding killed. You owe him better than that.

Celeste
Celeste is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stallion behaviour? kikgi Natural Horsemanship 5 05-21-2012 12:02 PM
Western stuff Need To Sale! NEW STUFF ADDED 10/9 BlackAmethyst Tack and Equipment Classifieds 11 10-12-2009 01:06 PM
Horse stuff for sale!! Take a look i am moving and this stuff needs to go!!! shermanismybaby3006 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 9 09-17-2009 11:17 PM
Saddle and Tack For Sale/Trade + wanted stuff *more stuff* Chicalove Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 09-14-2009 10:36 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome