Any computer savy people? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 502
• Horses: 1
I had the same problem.. internet explorer would not play videos for me anymore.
All I did, was update my browser to Mozilla Firefox.. and I could watch youtube videos and hulu vids again. Plus MFox worked faster for me.

Hope your computer starts to work again!
eventnwithwinston is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,782
• Horses: 0
I use mozilla :) Always have. Tried internet explorer to see if they worked on it, but no :(
Only youtube and facebook videos work. Nothing else.
ridingismylife2 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 810
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingismylife2 View Post
I use mozilla :) Always have. Tried internet explorer to see if they worked on it, but no :(
Only youtube and facebook videos work. Nothing else.
Do you know what software plays the videos, is it media player or quicktime?
jinxremoving is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,782
• Horses: 0
^
Both.
ridingismylife2 is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old 08-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 810
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingismylife2 View Post
^
Both.
Hrm. It could be a couple things,

1) Your mobile internet has bad reception or the company that provides the internet is having some problems causing your connection to become latent (laggy) and that will definitely make videos being streamed appear choppy and pretty much unwatchable.

2) If videos on your computer (and sometimes online) are also choppy when being played, there could be something on your computer that is running in the background causing it to consume all of the available CPU and/or Memory. Have you tried watching a video with nothing else open? If you have tons of programs in your task bar (by the clock) you could try right clicking on the icons and exiting / closing them to see if that helps.
jinxremoving is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Started
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,782
• Horses: 0
^
Internet is fine. It's quite fast, like always.
And I always watch videos with nothing else on.
And the icons in my taskbar are the essential one's that have always been there.
I'm going to my aunts house this weekend and I might be able to trade laptops...hopefully. I watch almost all of my tv shows online because they don't show them here in Finland on tv...So I really need them to work. And none of my own videos (on the computer, not internet) work.
ridingismylife2 is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 08-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingismylife2 View Post
none of my own videos (on the computer, not internet) work.
That would eliminate a slow internet connection and point to the possibility of a virus type program running in the background. Just because your sys tray looks the same doesn't mean that there isn't something else that attached itself to your computer while you were visiting a site.

How long since you've done a Disk Cleanup or Defrag? How long since a deep virus scan (not just a quick scan)?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 1,135
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
That would eliminate a slow internet connection and point to the possibility of a virus type program running in the background. Just because your sys tray looks the same doesn't mean that there isn't something else that attached itself to your computer while you were visiting a site.

How long since you've done a Disk Cleanup or Defrag? How long since a deep virus scan (not just a quick scan)?
It wouldn't be a virus because it wouldn't attack only offline processes. Viri don't work that way. If they're programmed to stop videos, they won't pick or choose, offline or online, they'll get started on whatever they were being programmed to do. Not many viri makers attack offline processes solely, it just doesn't happen. A viri maker does it for the purpose of causing as much problems as they can, without being detected. Not to mention, you'd have other issues attached with a viri if it were to be there, CPU hogging, RAM hogging, etc.


Equestrian, computer person, photographer, graphic designer...
I know who I am, who are you?

irydehorses4lyfe is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I understood the problem to mean that her computer has slowed down which would indicate that something is running besides the video (or any other program). The videos are just a symptom of the problem.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 08-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 1,135
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses View Post
I understood the problem to mean that her computer has slowed down which would indicate that something is running besides the video (or any other program). The videos are just a symptom of the problem.
Hm...well, I didn't catch anything about the computer slowing down, might be wrong there though.
But from my experience, I'm thinking because it's solely a video playback/run/read issue, that it's more or less corrupted drivers...at least, it's one of many possibilities.


Equestrian, computer person, photographer, graphic designer...
I know who I am, who are you?

irydehorses4lyfe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 3D and computer art Rowzy Horse Artwork 10 07-10-2010 05:34 PM
Can Anyone Else's Computer Do This? jiblethead Horse Artwork 8 01-16-2010 05:19 PM
Did my computer just crash? Horsegma Technology 11 05-02-2009 11:29 AM
Computer drawings! chelssss(: Horse Artwork 7 02-17-2009 02:39 PM
My first computer picture! amightytarzan5 Horse Artwork 7 06-20-2008 02:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome