Best cinch for trail riding - The Horse Forum
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
• Horses: 1
Best cinch for trail riding

what are you opinions on which cinch is the best for trail riding. I am moving my horses up to my house in the country soon and I want a good cinch for trail riding for hours and up and down hills. There will also be walking across creeks. What do you guys think would be the best cinch for this?

Thanks!!!!!
ThisGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,558
• Horses: 0
Can never go wrong with a good ole mohair girth.
Posted via Mobile Device
OutOfTheLoop is offline  
post #3 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop View Post
Can never go wrong with a good ole mohair girth.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't really know too much about them. could you post a pic or website for the one you recommend? A lot of people have told me to try one but I am not one for change I keep with the smart cinch neoprene.
ThisGirl is offline  
post #4 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brazoria County, TX
Posts: 2,978
• Horses: 2
I like mohair or felt. Not a fan of neoprene at all. I have a felt smart cinch that I looovvvee. Never rubbed or anything and I often take my horses to the beach, through muddy creeks, and tough terrain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lonestar22 is offline  
post #5 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 21,978
• Horses: 24
I second a good mohair string girth. That's all I use and I can't complain at all.

I've got a couple of smart cinches (hate them with a passion) that I'm trying to wear out right now, but as soon as I'm through with them, I'm going to start buying these
CLASSIC - Classic Roper Nylon Center Cinch - NRSworld.com

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #6 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 385
• Horses: 0
Lonestar, just curious why you don't like neoprene?

I have the airflex and love it, wife just switched her pony to a neoprene girth and loves it too...
tim62988 is offline  
post #7 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
I second a good mohair string girth. That's all I use and I can't complain at all.

I've got a couple of smart cinches (hate them with a passion) that I'm trying to wear out right now, but as soon as I'm through with them, I'm going to start buying these
CLASSIC - Classic Roper Nylon Center Cinch - NRSworld.com
why don't you like smart cinches? I have the neoprene and felt and I love them? I will try the mohair string cinch tough. But I just wanna know whats so bad about them.
ThisGirl is offline  
post #8 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Higgins, TX. YeeHaw!!
Posts: 21,978
• Horses: 24
My biggest problem with the smart cinches is the fact that the bottom roller is so wide. Whenever I cinch up, as the latigo tightens, it often slides off-center so that the latigo holes are offset from the buckle tongue. It wouldn't be a big deal except it takes me a minute to re-adjust...and since I ride a lot of young horses who can sometimes be unpredictable the first time the cinch is done up, that minute can become a big deal in a hurry.

Also, the ones I've got (though this feature isn't exclusive to the smart cinches) have the leather middle in them like this


Unfortunately, that leather gets wet...constantly. I have to double check it every morning after it has dried to make sure that the leather hasn't curled up around the edges. Made that mistake once and ended up with a gall the size of a quarter on a horse. Very not cool. So now, I'll only buy cinches with the nylon center in them.

Always remember that feeling of looking at a big, open country over the ears of a good horse, seeing a new trail unwind ahead of you, and that ever-spectacular view from the top of the ridge!!! Follow my training blog: http://robertsontraining.blogspot.com/
smrobs is offline  
post #9 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 54
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrobs View Post
My biggest problem with the smart cinches is the fact that the bottom roller is so wide. Whenever I cinch up, as the latigo tightens, it often slides off-center so that the latigo holes are offset from the buckle tongue. It wouldn't be a big deal except it takes me a minute to re-adjust...and since I ride a lot of young horses who can sometimes be unpredictable the first time the cinch is done up, that minute can become a big deal in a hurry.

Also, the ones I've got (though this feature isn't exclusive to the smart cinches) have the leather middle in them like this


Unfortunately, that leather gets wet...constantly. I have to double check it every morning after it has dried to make sure that the leather hasn't curled up around the edges. Made that mistake once and ended up with a gall the size of a quarter on a horse. Very not cool. So now, I'll only buy cinches with the nylon center in them.
If that would happen to me I probably wouldn't like them much either haha. But I really want to try out the mohair cinch I will order it in the next day or two.
ThisGirl is offline  
post #10 of 64 Old 07-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,487
• Horses: 0
I'm a big fan of neoprene cinches.
Posted via Mobile Device
GamingGrrl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddle, Pads, Bit, Reins, Trail Bridle, Breast Plate and Mint Cinch! TrojanCowgirl Tack and Equipment Classifieds 21 08-14-2012 02:16 AM
Aussie cinch to Western cinch. Sizes? SidMit Horse Tack and Equipment 0 12-04-2010 10:30 AM
What cinch do you like best for western pleasure riding? ridesapaintedpony Western Riding 26 08-16-2009 07:27 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome