Break away stirrups help
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Break away stirrups help

This is a discussion on Break away stirrups help within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Mike mccoy sti breakaway stirrups
  • Break away stirrup reviews

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-19-2012, 05:51 PM
  #1
Foal
Break away stirrups help

I'm thinking about buying a pair of safety stirrups after being dragged a short distance last fall. Has anyone used these and give me some reccomdations how they like them, and what brands they are.
Thanks!
Frank
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-19-2012, 05:59 PM
  #2
Showing
Welcome to the forum, Frank.

English or Western?
     
    03-19-2012, 06:11 PM
  #3
Foal
Thank you, Western
     
    03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
  #4
Banned
Frank, do you ride with your feet home in the stirrups?
     
    03-19-2012, 07:15 PM
  #5
Showing
Wear cowboy boots with a good high heel or buy a set of tapaderos. They limit how far the foot can go in the stirrup.
Corporal likes this.
     
    03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
  #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
Wear cowboy boots with a good high heel or buy a set of tapaderos. They limit how far the foot can go in the stirrup.
I'm going to fundamentally disagree.

While both equipment "solutions" will reduce the chance of getting hung up, the best solution is to train yourself to NEVER place your foot in the stirrup past the ball of the foot. That's even more important with western saddles, where the stirrups are attached to relatively inflexible (compared to english stirrup leathers) fenders.

None of my boots have a heel taller than an inch. But they never go in the irons any farther than the ball of the foot.
Wallaby likes this.
     
    03-19-2012, 09:00 PM
  #7
Super Moderator
Of course , the OP probably already knows not to put his foot in so far. But, he has already lucked out once in being dragged and still here to talk about it. There may be all kind of circumstances adding to this. I applaud him for being proactive and looking for safety release stirrups. He can still work on improving his foot placement.

I know not to put my feet in too far, but from time to time, something may happen where you get "jostled" enough to lose that placement and your foot can go too deep at just the wrong time. I know this happends to me from time to time.
     
    03-19-2012, 09:22 PM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Of course , the OP probably already knows not to put his foot in so far.
Many western riders think nothing of jamming their feet all the way in. Hence my question.
     
    03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
  #9
Weanling
STI Horse Safety with Breakaway Stirrups by Saddle Technology Incorporated - Mike McCoy

Here are some western breakaways. I'm going to consider these when I finally get a horse. I don't know anything about them or how good they are. But I don't see how having breakaway stirrups could hurt as long as a person was taking other precautions as well and not relying solely on the the stirrups actually breaking.

As mentioned, keeping your foot no further than the ball, having a heel on your boot are important.
Another thing is not having super grippy rubber soles with a western stirrup. I had thicker rubber soles when I rode english. But now, I wear boots with a very thin rubber sole. A leather sole is good too.
     
    03-20-2012, 04:16 AM
  #10
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelsdown    
STI Horse Safety with Breakaway Stirrups by Saddle Technology Incorporated - Mike McCoy

Here are some western breakaways. I'm going to consider these when I finally get a horse. I don't know anything about them or how good they are. But I don't see how having breakaway stirrups could hurt as long as a person was taking other precautions as well and not relying solely on the the stirrups actually breaking.

As mentioned, keeping your foot no further than the ball, having a heel on your boot are important.
Another thing is not having super grippy rubber soles with a western stirrup. I had thicker rubber soles when I rode english. But now, I wear boots with a very thin rubber sole. A leather sole is good too.
320 to 500 HUNDRED DOLLARS for a set of basic stirrups ? Somebody is seriously smoking crack.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else break their tailbone ever? VT Trail Trotters Horse Riding 30 12-03-2011 03:09 PM
How did the Bit break????????? nyg052003 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 08-08-2011 12:29 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0