Guns on the trail - Page 6 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
A hearty rant indeed, but I was discussing the issue of everyone having a gun. I believe that those who are truly qualified to carry one should be allowed to do so, but not everyone. Let's list the things you assumed with no factual evidence, shall we?
-"You never know when you will need it. " Yes, I do actually. I am fully aware of situations where a gun may be necessary and when it isn't.

Are you a super hero? You must at least be physcic if you know were a crime will be commited. The fact is you don't know when you might need to defend yourself. Anybody with one good eye and one good hand can be qualified to use a firearm. Since it is a right granted by our constitution nobody should have to be qualified. Being an american should be qualification enough.

-"If you want to depend on the morals of other people to keep you safe then go ahead" Nowhere in my statement did I say I would depend on other's morals to keep me safe. I would certainly not depend on another person's morals, I would depend on myself.

You may depend on yourself but have you given yourself the tools to save your own life? How big of a man would it take to overpower you? If you can't effectively defend yourself then you are depending on other people to not attack you.



Perhaps I am nit picking, but I find it disconcerting to see a gun carrier picking up on things that are not true and clouding them with their own opinions.

I have not said anything that is untrue. Most of what I said was my opinion and the rest of it was fact. If you are scared of guns or think they cause crime then fine don't be around them. I have mine and if the situation ever presented I would use it to the best of my ability to defend you. I truely hope that it I never point a firearm at another human being.
Sorry about veering off topic. I am done with the arguement but I needed to clarify a few things.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 16,349
• Horses: 0
No apology necessary. It needed to be said, and well said it was.
Allison Finch is offline  
post #53 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,348
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
Sorry about veering off topic. I am done with the arguement but I needed to clarify a few things.
to quote myself: I believe that those who are truly qualified to carry one should be allowed to do so, but not everyone.

Clarified.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are certain and the intelligent are full of doubt"
-Bertrand Russel
roro is offline  
post #54 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
to quote myself: I believe that those who are truly qualified to carry one should be allowed to do so, but not everyone.

Clarified.

The only American who should not be allowed to carry a gun is a Felon they have given up that right. However every other American is qualified. Now I do believe they should have to do what every state requires and that is to take the CCW coarse. That way they know the laws and they have some idea of how to use a gun and are not just going out and buying one and then carrying it.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #55 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
I've had a CWP in the three states I've lived in (NY, PA, and SC) since 1970. I am never without my gun and 99% of the people who know me never know I have it. It's nothing I talk about but comforting to know it's there. I've actually had to draw it twice, which doesn't seem like a lot over 40 years but it served the purpose and prevented a problem at the time.

I have it on the trail and, again, none of my riding partners are aware of it. If I had to ride in the areas that Painted Horse goes, there would never be a question about having one handy.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #56 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,179
• Horses: 4
We don't have dingoes where I live - And they wouldn't attack a horse anyway.

You couldn't pay me to carry a gun. I couldn't shoot anything anyway, plus I would be nervous the whole time I was carrying it. Everyone having a gun isn't just logistically hard, but there are a lot of people who don't want one!

wild_spot is offline  
post #57 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,716
• Horses: 1
There are definitely some people out there that should not be carrying guns.

Unless it weighs a ton... it's just a horse. Draft horse motto.
Solon is offline  
post #58 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amba1027 View Post
Ummm... shooting around a meth lab is a REALLY bad idea.
ah ha, but what happens when you/i/anyone comes across the psycho meth head who doesn't care WHO you are or WHY you're near their stash, and is behemothly determined to keep their operation "safe?" i would say that i wouldn't be too worried about things going "boom" at that point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roro View Post
If everyone had a gun, everyone would be dangerous.

quite incorrect. ever heard the philosophy that "an armed society is a polite society"? it is very true. in the theoretical situation that EVERYONE, criminals/felons/etc were armed, willing, and able/trained to use their arms, there would be practically NO crime because all would know that their neighbor was armed and ready to end their life. criminals tend to prey on whom they believe will be WEAK, and are generally surprised when they encounter an armed citizen.

and another question, what designated "truly qualified"? am i "truly qualified" as a veteran? no, i learned to shoot handguns outside the military, and knew how to shoot already. many cops ONLY qualify as required, which is NOT enough trigger time to be "qualified." it's a mindset, and shooting is a perishable skill. all who carry guns daily MUST practice to be PREPARED. simple as that. the swiss are a good model of that as a nation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMama View Post
<sigh> Get your permit. I'm sooooo envious. These freakin' city-slicker gun control advocates up here drive me bonkers. I wish I would be able to carry a gun. Even GETTING a handgun here is a pain in the butt. You have to be a member of a gun club, or a collector. You can't just have one because you want one, or because you live in the bush. There is supposedly a concealed permit available in Canada, but one has NEVER BEEN ISSUED to a civilian.

Go get your permit because YOU CAN!
so true! if you live in a gun friendly state that had "shall issue" permitting, why would you NOT? it's a large part of the reason why i drug my wife out of NYS, their insanely foolish "pistol permits" required simply to PURCHASE handgun, much less the corruption in the system to carry the **** thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothTrails View Post
I'm too young to carry a gun as of now, but as soon as I am old enough I will have one. We have had issues with break-ins in my hometown, and I don't trust to many people if I am by myself. I have pepper spray and 3 knives for now...lol. I'm thinking about getting a taser at some point.

I think that everyone should have a gun. There would be a lower crime rate. Who wants to rob you when they know you probably have a gun and know how to use it?
spray is a good option. i DO carry both a can of fox labs spray and my gun. having options is good. however, i would suggest sticking with spray due to some of the controversy over tasers...

and there's a reason why in EVERY state that passes a CCW law, or laxes silly gun laws, there's a DROP in crime even when many of the anti gun city folk (usually) start screaming how there will be blood in the streets...
spence is offline  
post #59 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,179
• Horses: 4
Quote:
if you live in a gun friendly state that had "shall issue" permitting, why would you NOT?
Because you might have absolutely NO desire to carry/purchase a gun or even think about shooting something? You couldn't pay me to carry a gun.

wild_spot is offline  
post #60 of 72 Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 269
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot View Post
Because you might have absolutely NO desire to carry/purchase a gun or even think about shooting something? You couldn't pay me to carry a gun.
ah, yes, but you already admitted to living where you do: anti gun australia, where the culture is not nearly as firearm friendly as it is here.
spence is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trail course snazzydandy Western Riding 8 10-21-2012 08:21 PM
The Bra Trail Trails Trail Riding 26 03-05-2010 07:12 PM
The best trail ever grayshell38 Trail Riding 10 11-22-2009 09:54 PM
trail dog suggestions nate1 Trail Riding 53 11-02-2009 10:03 AM
Ear to the trail Vidaloco Trail Riding 4 04-19-2008 01:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome