I walk alone here in dangerous territory. - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

I walk alone here in dangerous territory.

This is a discussion on I walk alone here in dangerous territory. within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Who has the right of way on a bridge walk, a horse or bicyclist
  • walking alone dangerous

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
  #21
Yearling
Wow. I never new there was such conflict between bikers and riders.


That Jayem guy is just miserable! How does he know that riders aren't riding bikes around their horses? Our horses see bikers almost daily, but when they zoom by so fast, how do they know that a bike is coming?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-16-2009, 02:48 PM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Hollow    
If we equestrians do not work together with all users of the forest we will ALL lose the right to enjoy it. At lot of the national forests are already limiting access.

Horses can alert very subtly to hearing things way before we can hear them. If I feel an alert, I don't know what it is - boar, bear, cougar, hiker, llama w/backpack... but I'm prepared to take action. As equestrians we need to be always be prepared to ride aware and defensively.

We have encountered ugly minded users out there, but have found most all shared users of the trails have been by far and away courteous including the bicyclist. They don't want to come around a blind corner to meet a horse and rider, a bear, dead fall or a crazy gun waving person any more than you do.

Horse poop? A lot of national forest is free range... so what about all them cows pooping on the trails? Diapers for the wild critters too? - lol
Very well said! We all do need to get along, this is crucial to all of our future enjoyment.
Personally, I have never ran across a rude bicyclist, so I cannot share the passion that is bubbling in this thread.
As far as poop goes, when I am on the trails and my horse decides to fertilize the land, I dismount and push it off of the trail with my boot. It's just something I've been taught since the beginning. I suppose if I was a hiker or biker and I didn't appreciate horses and all that comes with them I'd be a little upset to run into poop too. But at the same time, that's what comes with riding/hiking in the middle of a national park. It's NATURE.
     
    08-16-2009, 03:47 PM
  #23
Weanling
I won't dignify most of the drivel on that page. Ignorance and attitude at it's worst. Most of the bikers, and even dirtbikers & ATV riders know enough to respect a horse coming through. The horses know to be cautious of them as well. As far as the poop issue - grow up. That's life. Trails are not sterile places. Trail maintenence? Well, most trail riding clubs, and saddle clubs hold their own trail maintenence days seperate from the 'official' ones so they are staggered more through the season. Just because they don't pull up in a truck and trailer for MAINTENENCE days doesn't mean they're all automatically bikers. Geez.
     
    08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
  #24
Foal
I saw a couple times that a few posters mentioned they had never seen an equestrian out helping maintain trails. That certainly must be just where they live, as I am 15 minutes from a PA state park and for YEARS there was a strictly volunteer team of riders who went out every weekend to help maintain the trails for everyone. Once the state took over, they didn't do it as frequently, but the trails look fantastic for everyone.

I have never had an issue with bikers, and my horse doesn't have an issue with bikers, hikers, etc. The biggest "issue" I have come across is that I've had a few bikers ride too closely behind Nakai's rear, and he tends to scoot forward if that happens. When I've asked them to just let me know that they are there, they have often said they didn't want to say anything loudly for fear of spooking my horse. Better communication from both parties would easily solve that issue!

Also, bikers are to yield to both equestrians and hikers. Their bikes can't spook, and despite what has been said on their forum, even the most bomb-proof horse can spook if the right situation occurs. Also, wouldn't it be easier for a biker to move themselves out of the way rather than ask a 1,000 lb animal to move up or down (or around) and potentially damage more trail area, especially if it's on a slope?

As for horse manure, it is unrealistic to ask riders to carry around massive bags with them, particularly while out in state parks where there are no trash cans in the interior of the parks, or to ask them to carry pitchforks with them. Riding with a crupper isn't ideal either when trail riding. Horse manure fertilizers and it also deteriorates fast.
     
    08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
  #25
Foal
TheLoneBiker - kudos to you for trying to gap the bridge of understanding in your forum and reaching out to horse forums. I think a majority of us equestrians had no idea some bikers feel the way they do about horses and riders in general.
     
    08-16-2009, 05:44 PM
  #26
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst    
TheLoneBiker - kudos to you for trying to gap the bridge of understanding in your forum and reaching out to horse forums. I think a majority of us equestrians had no idea some bikers feel the way they do about horses and riders in general.
Agreed.
     
    08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
  #27
Green Broke
What gets me is at the Conyers HORSE park, bikers practically have taken over it. Would bikes like it if horses took over a BIKE park? Probably not.

Poop is, like most have said, biodegradable. Maybe even the fastest breaking-down poop I've ever seen. It's life. Dogs poop on trails too, and it stinks more but nobody makes a fuss over it..

I appreciate hearing feedback from a biker. Quite helpful.

I couldn't stand to read the rest of the OP's link. It made me very angry to see such a bunch of uncaring people. I have to, for their sake, know that they do not know anything about horses. So it's kind of a catch 22. They know nothing about us and feel we should be cautious more cautious of our own horses and bikers feel that they shouldn't have to cautious because horses should be perfect.
     
    08-16-2009, 05:58 PM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamite.    
Wow. I never new there was such conflict between bikers and riders.


That Jayem guy is just miserable! How does he know that riders aren't riding bikes around their horses? Our horses see bikers almost daily, but when they zoom by so fast, how do they know that a bike is coming?
Yeah.... he's a prick.
     
    08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
  #29
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtswede    
I won't dignify most of the drivel on that page. Ignorance and attitude at it's worst. Most of the bikers, and even dirtbikers & ATV riders know enough to respect a horse coming through. The horses know to be cautious of them as well. As far as the poop issue - grow up. That's life. Trails are not sterile places. Trail maintenence? Well, most trail riding clubs, and saddle clubs hold their own trail maintenence days seperate from the 'official' ones so they are staggered more through the season. Just because they don't pull up in a truck and trailer for MAINTENENCE days doesn't mean they're all automatically bikers. Geez.

Ok, so you won't "dignify" most of the drivel on that page I can agree whole heartedly with you there, but you feel free to add your own extremely biased and disrespectful "drivel" on this one.. Honestly it's this attitude FROM BOTH SIDES mind you, why we're arguing in the first place. It's like the saying "opinions are like A**holes, everyone's got one and they all stink"
     
    08-16-2009, 06:05 PM
  #30
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny06    
So it's kind of a catch 22. They know nothing about us and feel we should be cautious more cautious of our own horses and bikers feel that they shouldn't have to cautious because horses should be perfect.
Oops. I meant:

They know nothing about us and feel we should be more cautious of our own horses and bikers feel that they shouldn't have to cautious because horses should be perfect.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it dangerous??? Joe Amos Horse Health 8 08-07-2009 01:22 AM
Newbie from Phillies territory! Skippy Meet the Community 13 11-09-2008 08:37 AM
I have a dangerous horse Whimsical Horse Training 20 10-18-2008 02:31 PM
Is it dangerous...? dynamite. Jumping 12 10-16-2008 09:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0