JUST Trail Riding??? - Page 9
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

JUST Trail Riding???

This is a discussion on JUST Trail Riding??? within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree437Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
      #81
    Trained
    Thenrie, what breed is the pretty chestnut in the pic?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-10-2012, 06:06 PM
      #82
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Missy May    
    Thenrie, what breed is the pretty chestnut in the pic?
    He's a Halflinger. Stands about 15 hands and weighs around 11-1200 and is 4-5 years old, I believe. Great trail horse, except that he gets into everything and breaks a lot of stuff, like fences... He's so strong he sometimes tries to push trees out of the way rather than hop over them. Fun horse. My buddy is about 6'3 and about 240 pounds or so. He liked riding a horse he didn't feel guilty taking on hard trails.

    The black one is a QH, grandson of Doc Olena. He stands only about 13.5 or so. If he were 1 hand taller, he would be the perfect horse. Even at his size he can outwalk any horse I know.

    The Sorrel my dad is on is Honey the Mule. She's the best "trail dog" I've ever had. See the trail dog thread for an explanation.
    Pattilou and Missy May like this.
         
        12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
      #83
    QOS
    Green Broke
    Nvr2many - I had my Roam camera like a big nerd on my head. I was so excited because I thought I had caught MOVIES of it. I was PISSED when I realized I didn't have it on. The air turned a little shad of blue..... We are going back there next spring. I don't know if I will have the guts to do it again but I will have the guts to take a picture of it !!!! Hahahahahaa and I call it My Cougars Rock but it was in Mississippi
    Missy May likes this.
         
        12-10-2012, 09:04 PM
      #84
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QOS    
    nvr2many - I had my Roam camera like a big nerd on my head. I was so excited because I thought I had caught MOVIES of it. I was PISSED when I realized I didn't have it on. The air turned a little shad of blue..... We are going back there next spring. I don't know if I will have the guts to do it again but I will have the guts to take a picture of it !!!! Hahahahahaa and I call it My Cougars Rock but it was in Mississippi
    OMG! I hate when stuff like that happens!! Gah! Well if you get the nerve again I would love to feel like I am right there with you, lol.
    I wish I would have had one of those on my head when my little llama/rodeo happened a couple weeks ago. It was really something. Don't want to do it again tho.
         
        12-10-2012, 09:35 PM
      #85
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thenrie    
    He's a Halflinger. Stands about 15 hands and weighs around 11-1200 and is 4-5 years old, I believe. Great trail horse, except that he gets into everything and breaks a lot of stuff, like fences... He's so strong he sometimes tries to push trees out of the way rather than hop over them. Fun horse. My buddy is about 6'3 and about 240 pounds or so. He liked riding a horse he didn't feel guilty taking on hard trails.

    The black one is a QH, grandson of Doc Olena. He stands only about 13.5 or so. If he were 1 hand taller, he would be the perfect horse. Even at his size he can outwalk any horse I know.

    The Sorrel my dad is on is Honey the Mule. She's the best "trail dog" I've ever had. See the trail dog thread for an explanation.
    Well, that is what I thought (haflinger), but he is so large. I just recently acquired one (filly 13hh) to keep my mare company. A very different kind of horse..at least, than I am use to. I have never seen so much power packed into 13h in my life! And, she is a babe, yet. Ugh oh. The one in your photo looks like he would be (personality wise) as you described.

    The little mule looks like a sweetie - almost like something you would see in a gold rush picture. My cousin's mule will tag along like a dog, no rope necessary if that is what a "trail dog" is. I am not a real mule person, myself.

    I think 13-2 is the perfect size, personally. I won't even look at them if they are over 14-2. A very good friend had a mare - bandlena, that I very much admired when I was a youngster. I do not know what side or to what degree the "lena" part came in. She was an amazing horse, very "fluid" in everything she did, and a very talented cow horse. She looked good just walking along! She wasn't "cuddly" friendly, though..kind of aloof.
         
        12-10-2012, 09:45 PM
      #86
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by QOS    
    nvr2many - I had my Roam camera like a big nerd on my head. I was so excited because I thought I had caught MOVIES of it. I was PISSED when I realized I didn't have it on. The air turned a little shad of blue..... We are going back there next spring. I don't know if I will have the guts to do it again but I will have the guts to take a picture of it !!!! Hahahahahaa and I call it My Cougars Rock but it was in Mississippi
    What an neat idea! In theory. Kidding. I loose stuff at an amazing rate on the trail. I try hard to just travel w nothing but the basics..unless I don't care if it goes overboard and I don't notice. I don't even know if attaching it to my head would help!

    I always call DH when I travel alone at different intervals. I forgot once. Luckily he called me - my cell was on the ground on the other side of the gate I had just closed. Ring, ring.
         
        12-10-2012, 10:02 PM
      #87
    Showing
    Granted, I don't have access to the type of country like Painted Horse posted, but around here, "trail riding" is a misnomer as there are no trails. If you want to go a certain direction, you just go there and have to pick your own way down off the caprocks, across the gullies, or through the trees.

    Personally, I really enjoy "just" trail riding .






    And this picture really doesn't do this view justice. We are standing at the edge of a peak of caprock that we call "lookout point". It is about a 6 foot drop from the edge of the rock we're standing on to the ground underneath.

         
        12-10-2012, 10:10 PM
      #88
    Foal
    Smrobs great looking country !
         
        12-10-2012, 10:29 PM
      #89
    QOS
    Green Broke
    Nvr2many - I don't know if I will have the nerve again. Biscuit already asked me what the hell were you thinking sister?!!!

    Missy - Girl, you are so talking to lose my butt if it wasn't attached. That Roam camera slides into a slot on the helmet and has a little leash to attach it to the slot. It can't come off!!
    Missy May likes this.
         
        12-10-2012, 10:40 PM
      #90
    Weanling
    I understand what OP is getting at here. Many people see trail riding as not requiring skill form either horse or rider...That's why my cousins whom I am teaching to ride call it "Trail Adventuring." haha gives it a bit more spice.
    bsms likes this.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Barrel Saddle...... Are they good for general riding, trail/pleasure riding ? nyg052003 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 10-24-2012 09:24 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0