Mountain Lion?!?!? What to do? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Mountain Lion?!?!? What to do?

This is a discussion on Mountain Lion?!?!? What to do? within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Mountain Lion Kills Horse
  • Hansen dam mountain lion

Like Tree63Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-29-2012, 09:02 AM
  #21
Trained
Move to Georgia.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-29-2012, 09:49 AM
  #22
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmochi    
Oh man. Me and guns are not a good mix! I have never shot one in my life! But thank you :)
I bet there was a time when you never rode a horse either.

You can learn to handle guns and shoot safely and it's not nearly as difficult as everything involved with horseback riding.

The thing about pepper spray is the wind. You're likely to spray yourself, or your horse, then what's plan B?
     
    07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
  #23
Teen Forum Moderator
There sure have been a lot of cougar, bobcat, and coyote sightings lately across the map o.o makes you wonder.

Be careful out there OP!
     
    07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
  #24
Trained
Pepper spray & horses...the pepper spray is not for warning the cougar away. Get some pepper spray in your horse's eyes, and you would be worse off than before. My thought was that the pepper spray was a last resort if the cougar decided to attack. I did read an account once of a woman around 1820 being pulled off her horse by a cougar...she survived and boasted about the scars, but I think most of us would prefer not to try that.

Happily, I live in a place where I can carry a gun. However, none of my horses have been trained to shoot off of, so a 357 would be a weapon of last resort for me as well. I tell folks that with the Mexican border just 60 miles south, I'd need to point my horse north before firing because I don't carry a passport with me.

I doubt many cougars would try to pull a human off a horse. If the horse doesn't bolt, then a horse & rider just doesn't look like very good prey for a cougar. But if my horse bolted & I came off, or the cougar DID attack me on horseback, I'd like some other option than harsh language. In Arizona, it would be my buddies Mr Smith & Mr Wesson. In California, I guess I'd have to hope the cougar hadn't developed a taste for chili...
soileddove and gtmochi like this.
     
    07-29-2012, 12:06 PM
  #25
Yearling
First of all. Don't give up riding that trail. Cougars have a very large territory that they prowl. He could be in the next county over and not return to this area for months.

Even if he does return, He didn't threaten you the first encounter and chances are he won't on a second. He is just curious. Don't trigger the chase instinct and all will most likely be fine. I hunt in areas where I know cougars live. I see their tracks, I see their kills that they have been feeding on, But rarely do I ever see them. Seeing a cougar in the wild is a very rare experience for most people. You have a much greater chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident on your home than getting mauled by a cougar. But you have not stopped driving.

Teaching a horse to handle a sudden noise is not difficult. I teach my horses to deal with gun shots by having a friend hold them and I fire the first few shots 10-15 feet away. Aim the gun away from the horse to minimize the loudness. The first time or two, the horse may spook and jump around, by 5 or 6 shots, they get used to it and calm down, Move closer and repeat until you can shoot out of the saddle. Look at the Cowboy Mounted Shooting. Those guys run a course and shoot 10 balloons at a full run and horses don't miss a beat. Same goes for the air horn. Just teach the horse to spook in place.

You can thank PETA and similar organizations for the no dogs chasing cougar/bear laws. Cougars are so secretative that it's almost impossible to find them, let alone catch them with out the use of dogs.
bsms, gtmochi and horsecrazygirl like this.
     
    07-30-2012, 02:25 AM
  #26
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse    
First of all. Don't give up riding that trail. Cougars have a very large territory that they prowl. He could be in the next county over and not return to this area for months.

Even if he does return, He didn't threaten you the first encounter and chances are he won't on a second. He is just curious. Don't trigger the chase instinct and all will most likely be fine. I hunt in areas where I know cougars live. I see their tracks, I see their kills that they have been feeding on, But rarely do I ever see them. Seeing a cougar in the wild is a very rare experience for most people. You have a much greater chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident on your home than getting mauled by a cougar. But you have not stopped driving.

Teaching a horse to handle a sudden noise is not difficult. I teach my horses to deal with gun shots by having a friend hold them and I fire the first few shots 10-15 feet away. Aim the gun away from the horse to minimize the loudness. The first time or two, the horse may spook and jump around, by 5 or 6 shots, they get used to it and calm down, Move closer and repeat until you can shoot out of the saddle. Look at the Cowboy Mounted Shooting. Those guys run a course and shoot 10 balloons at a full run and horses don't miss a beat. Same goes for the air horn. Just teach the horse to spook in place.

You can thank PETA and similar organizations for the no dogs chasing cougar/bear laws. Cougars are so secretative that it's almost impossible to find them, let alone catch them with out the use of dogs.

It's a relief to hear that! I'd hate to not ride on this trail solo anymore. I love it - and so does Playday! Knowing the lion may not be back from months and the likely hood of it's return at the same time I'm on the trail is slim is comforting.

I'll be googling Cowboy Mounted Shooting now! I've never heard of it but it sounds awesome!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. I feel much better about my options for keeping us safe on the trail!
     
    07-30-2012, 11:33 AM
  #27
Green Broke
California has some strict carry laws, but as the old saying goes, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

One of my goals is to get my horse used to gun fire. I don't really want to compete, but if I did, Cowboy action shooting would be my event.

Think we'll ever get it to be an Olympic event?
     
    07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
  #28
Foal
I live in the middle of the Angeles National Forest, I'm guessing the OP was referring to this. I'm just coming back to riding after many years away but I hike the forest every day with my dog. Bears are a fact of life up here but I have never had an encounter. The only time I spotted one I was rather far away. Believe me, I stayed that way! There are some bear-human fatalities, but every time that happened because the bear found human picnic food and the humans tried to fight them off. Hello?! Mt. Lions are rarely a problem because they are so secretive. It's not like they're prowling around presenting themselves as a target for dog packs. Recently a mt. Lion started jumping fences around here and killing dogs (Wrightwood CA) so she was hunted and killed, but that is extremely rare behavior for them.
     
    07-30-2012, 12:00 PM
  #29
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger    
California has some strict carry laws, but as the old saying goes, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".
I hear you on that. I recently made the decision to invest in a handgun for the trail, more for hiking with my dog but also when I'm riding up here. There are some areas in the national forest where it's legal to carry openly, but I don't want to freak anyone out.
     
    07-30-2012, 12:59 PM
  #30
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislynnet    
I live in the middle of the Angeles National Forest, I'm guessing the OP was referring to this. I'm just coming back to riding after many years away but I hike the forest every day with my dog. Bears are a fact of life up here but I have never had an encounter. The only time I spotted one I was rather far away. Believe me, I stayed that way! There are some bear-human fatalities, but every time that happened because the bear found human picnic food and the humans tried to fight them off. Hello?! Mt. Lions are rarely a problem because they are so secretive. It's not like they're prowling around presenting themselves as a target for dog packs. Recently a mt. Lion started jumping fences around here and killing dogs (Wrightwood CA) so she was hunted and killed, but that is extremely rare behavior for them.
That's exactly where I am...my barn is in Lakeview Terrace. Out the back gate is a wash that I can ride south to the Hansen Dam and north to National Forest, which is where I saw the Lion...it was within shouting distance of a very nice stable up the road, Middle C. Lately we've been hearing about bears too, but ever since seeing the lion I've been on high alert! But after reading everyone's responses I'm feeling better about what I can do if I ever encounter one again.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Athena Pics and Zeus, the Mountain Lion!! omgpink Horse Pictures 8 05-07-2012 04:54 PM
Rocky Mountain/Kentucky Mountain Macslady Gaited Horses 110 10-23-2010 10:54 PM
Remember Christian the Lion? Lucara General Off Topic Discussion 4 06-13-2010 06:57 AM
Lion Country Show?? centrestableswendy Horse Shows 0 01-27-2009 04:27 PM
Lion riding a horse Zab Horse Protection 57 11-16-2008 02:57 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0