Ride safe during hunting season - Page 4
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Ride safe during hunting season

This is a discussion on Ride safe during hunting season within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Powered by vBulletin hunting season
  • Powered by vBulletin deer season

Like Tree8Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-09-2012, 07:22 PM
  #31
Banned
You western guys would not believe what our woods sound like during deer gun/rifle season.

Fallujah comes to mind.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
  #32
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot    
You western guys would not believe what our woods sound like during deer gun/rifle season.

Fallujah comes to mind.
Same here. Fall to me means crisp leaves, cooler air, bonfires, pumpkins and BAM BAM BAM!!! Lol I always think there is no freakin' way they are shooting that many deer. Somebody is just getting their jollies shooting their guns.

I don't ride in the woods during hunting season. Heard too many horror stories. If I was going to ride, I'd avoid the first few and last few days of deer season. It seems those that are the most trigger happy will be out right when it opens and then again trying to bag that last deer before it ends.

Someone told me something scary once. They said if a person wanted to murder someone but make it look like an accident, all they'd have to do is take that person hunting. Apparently if you look up hunting accidents and see how many people were killed, there tends to be little investigation or punishment.

In the 80's there was a woman in maine who was killed in her own yard hanging up her laundry and the hunter who killed her did no time at all. They said she was wearing white mittens and he thought it was a deer's tail. I honestly thought it sounded like an urban legend but I looked it up and it's a real story.
     
    02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
  #33
Weanling
I just stay out of the woods during hunting season. Though I'd much prefer the fresh outside air, the indoor arena is a much safer place to be. So much better than either my horse or myself getting hurt.
     
    02-16-2012, 03:48 AM
  #34
Green Broke
My efforts this year have paid off and Sunday Huntng in Va is still banned. Was close the bill passed the state senate, and hit all the newspapers, this casued quite the uproar, so it is now basically dead in the House.
In my area the dog clubs not only ruin any other outdoor activity they ruin other types of hunting. Deer gun season lasts about 3 months with the 2 months of road hunting with dogs the worse. You can't really safely do anything even on your own property. Hence the uproar about Sunday Hunting,. That's the day everyone rides.
     
    02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
  #35
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
my efforts this year have paid off and Sunday Huntng in Va is still banned. Was close the bill passed the state senate, and hit all the newspapers, this casued quite the uproar, so it is now basically dead in the House.
In my area the dog clubs not only ruin any other outdoor activity they ruin other types of hunting. Deer gun season lasts about 3 months with the 2 months of road hunting with dogs the worse. You can't really safely do anything even on your own property. Hence the uproar about Sunday Hunting,. That's the day everyone rides.
Is it dead, dead or dead until next year? I totally agree that the dog hunters kind of kill everything, including other types of hunting. And I don't mean dog hunters like my uncle was. He was a duck/quail hunter and never went out without his trusty springer spaniel. One springer. When she died, he used to take one English Setter with him.
The dog hunters I've seen go out with a pack of 10-15 dogs! I don't know much about hunting but I thought hunters needed quiet. I don't understand how one would hunt with so many dogs, other than fox hunting which of course isn't really hunting.
     
    02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
  #36
Trained
Hunting quail with dogs is totally different than running deer with dogs. Deer hunters take huge packs of dogs and run everything out of the woods. It is illegal here in Georgia, but there were some people near us that used to do it. They had drives and killed everything in the woods that moved. They never got caught by the law. Fortunately, they only rented the land. A few complaints from neighbors, and the land owner stopped renting to them. It is really nice that they are gone.
     
    02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
  #37
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
Hunting quail with dogs is totally different than running deer with dogs. Deer hunters take huge packs of dogs and run everything out of the woods. It is illegal here in Georgia, but there were some people near us that used to do it. They had drives and killed everything in the woods that moved. They never got caught by the law. Fortunately, they only rented the land. A few complaints from neighbors, and the land owner stopped renting to them. It is really nice that they are gone.
Wow I didn't know that. I lived in VA years ago and then we moved to Connecticut. We just moved back here this past fall. The only time I saw people with tons of dogs was when we lived here the first time. We'd ride out to the mountains in the fall and see hunters off the road with tons of dogs and they were always some type of hound. Not really a beagle. Looked like hound mixes to me. But you always had to slow down when you saw them because it was total chaos with men and dogs everywhere and I was always afraid a dog would run into the road. I couldn't understand how or why someone would hunt that way. So dogs chase animals and then the hunters shoot them? Doesn't seem very sportsmanlike to me. I haven't seen anything like that where I live now thank goodness.
I do hear lots of shooting in the woods though which makes me think these guys are shooting more than just deer during deer season. Real deer hunting should be an occasional shot, not sound like Fallujah as Mildot mentioned.
     
    02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
  #38
Foal
I live in an area as described above, with hunting-crazed people. Someone actually shot a pet burro!!!

The ideas mentioned are all good, but I stay off trails during hunting season. Even on Sunday, some people sight in their guns, or target shoot (or poach???) so better safe than sorry!!!

We have lots of dirt roads, too, but as noted above, sometimes they just shoot at something moving. No thanks! I just don't take the chance.

I went out to feed the horses during the first day of hunting, and there was someone within 200 feet of me, shooting in the other direction, but TOO close! Scared the daylights out of my horses, despite them being used to shots, 'cause he was SO close. I hollered, asked him to get away from the horses, as I was actually afraid he would scare them into stomping me. Unnerving!
     
    02-16-2012, 04:26 PM
  #39
Trained
I don't know if that is a standard method of hunting deer with dogs; it is what those folks that hunted near us used to do. Any kind of deer hunting with dogs is illegal in Georgia.
     
    02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
  #40
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrslvr13    
Even on Sunday, some people sight in their guns, or target shoot (or poach???) so better safe than sorry!!!
No hunting does not mean no shooting.

People can shoot on private country property (and some public lands like most National Forests) any day of the week.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunting season Shenandoah Trail Riding 49 10-13-2011 10:26 AM
Safe To Ride? trIplEcrOwngIrl Horse Riding 11 08-08-2010 12:28 AM
haven't seen since hunting season! wordstoasong Jokes and Funnies 4 01-24-2010 09:52 PM
Safety orange for turnout during hunting season? snoggle Horse Tack and Equipment 31 11-09-2009 01:54 PM
Trail riding during hunting season appylover31803 Trail Riding 34 10-16-2008 02:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0