Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hour and a Half from Town!
I feel for you guys.
Our county is the poorest in the state due to the fact that it is 90% National Forest and the other 10% is large farms or private untouched woodlands. In Arkansas there is dog hunting and those animals are typically a WHOLE nother kinda animal. We've had to shoot over 10 hunting dogs who ran off from the pack. They show up emaciated, riddled with ticks, injured, and are really dangerous. There isn't a pound or shelter within 70 miles and they wouldn't take them anyways, since we aren't in their county. I'm not saying all hunting dogs are bad, even deer hunting dogs, but the ones who show up here have been trained to chase and kill large game and have had very little contact with humans. They are kept in pens, fed raw meat, and often times beaten into submission. We absolutely hate having to shoot any dog and usually it's my husbands job! A while back a mangy hound tried to attack my daughter and I when we were trying to get into the house. I had my dogs kenneled up thankfully, and as we were getting out of the car the thing came around the corner of the house and growled and charged us. I grabbed my gun and chased it around the yard, poor thing kept stopping beside the barn, the propane tank, and the house so I couldn't get a safe shot off. We got him later that day.
I know some great dog hunters, especially ones that run Fiests (sp). They keep their main dogs super well trained and are their pride and joy. It's the rough guys that run the big dogs and it's pretty sad. I can't stand deer season. We hunt ourselves and have a freezer full right now, but we don't do it as a drunken hobby, we do it to feed our family. A shot is only taken when the deer is within 25 yards out of our deer blind. I had a feed plot this year and had some great animals on the property. I went out to load the mineral sack and checked the blind and found tons of pop bottles and snacks in there. Someone had been hunting on us. We are way out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by NF so whoever was trespassing had to hike in a long way to get to us. The nerve of some people absolutely blows my mind!
You can get a lot further with a ladder than you can with crutches!! What do you mean what do I mean?
Last edited by FlyGap; 02-17-2012 at 11:36 AM.