Ride safe during hunting season - Page 7
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Ride safe during hunting season

This is a discussion on Ride safe during hunting season within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • National forest "hunting concerns"

Like Tree8Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-17-2012, 09:59 AM
  #61
Weanling
Celeste that's a great point. I hate the we are a sue happy society, however, many times lawsuits are the only thing people pay attention to.

Joe your neighbor has balls of steel to tell you to put up a fence to keep his dog off your land. A lot of times, people have been in an area for generations and they kind of think that they own all of the land around them.

Quote:
But those 44 states
Don't have dog deer hunters,
Have way more public land
Have actual trespass and road hunting laws and some enforcement,
And in general way shorter big game firearm seasons.
This can't be stressed enough when comparing one state to another. In some parts of some states (like apparently eastern VA) it's the inmates running the asylum and it's easy to see how residents grow tired of dealing with it. I had no idea eastern VA was that bad. I thought it was just western VA.
People like to paint those with hunting concerns as though they are just PETA nutjobs or anti gun folks. That couldn't be further from the truth. Just look at Joe! I mean that as a compliment btw. You strike me as very much a country boy. If you say there are hunting issues in your neck of the woods, I believe it.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
  #62
Trained
I feel for you guys.
Our county is the poorest in the state due to the fact that it is 90% National Forest and the other 10% is large farms or private untouched woodlands. In Arkansas there is dog hunting and those animals are typically a WHOLE nother kinda animal. We've had to shoot over 10 hunting dogs who ran off from the pack. They show up emaciated, riddled with ticks, injured, and are really dangerous. There isn't a pound or shelter within 70 miles and they wouldn't take them anyways, since we aren't in their county. I'm not saying all hunting dogs are bad, even deer hunting dogs, but the ones who show up here have been trained to chase and kill large game and have had very little contact with humans. They are kept in pens, fed raw meat, and often times beaten into submission. We absolutely hate having to shoot any dog and usually it's my husbands job! A while back a mangy hound tried to attack my daughter and I when we were trying to get into the house. I had my dogs kenneled up thankfully, and as we were getting out of the car the thing came around the corner of the house and growled and charged us. I grabbed my gun and chased it around the yard, poor thing kept stopping beside the barn, the propane tank, and the house so I couldn't get a safe shot off. We got him later that day.

I know some great dog hunters, especially ones that run Fiests (sp). They keep their main dogs super well trained and are their pride and joy. It's the rough guys that run the big dogs and it's pretty sad. I can't stand deer season. We hunt ourselves and have a freezer full right now, but we don't do it as a drunken hobby, we do it to feed our family. A shot is only taken when the deer is within 25 yards out of our deer blind. I had a feed plot this year and had some great animals on the property. I went out to load the mineral sack and checked the blind and found tons of pop bottles and snacks in there. Someone had been hunting on us. We are way out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by NF so whoever was trespassing had to hike in a long way to get to us. The nerve of some people absolutely blows my mind!
     
    02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
  #63
Green Broke
Well in this case the enemy of my enemy is my friend and I have found myself allies with some of the fringe elements.
If a guy who hunted for 30 years, has dead animals on the wall, is an NRA life member, USPSA B class competitive shooter, former IDPA state champ, with a private gun range and a deer stand in his back yard is dead set against your hunting group so much he is actively campaigning agaisnt you, is having frequent discussions with elected officials and is sending out newsletters to get hundreds of people to show up at state legislature meetings. Is associated with fringe animal rights groups in the process.
Your hunting group has a problem.
     
    02-17-2012, 10:40 AM
  #64
Trained
Joe, I'm confused. "Your" hunting group? Who do you mean?
I am assuming the "dog hunters".
     
    02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
  #65
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste    
Joe, I'm confused. "Your" hunting group? Who do you mean?
I am assuming the "dog hunters".
That is what I took it to mean.
     
    02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
  #66
Green Broke
The groups advocating Sunday Hunting in VA.
     
    02-17-2012, 11:52 AM
  #67
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4d    
well in this case the enemy of my enemy is my friend and I have found myself allies with some of the fringe elements.
If a guy who hunted for 30 years, has dead animals on the wall, is an NRA life member, USPSA B class competitive shooter, former IDPA state champ, with a private gun range and a deer stand in his back yard is dead set against your hunting group so much he is actively campaigning agaisnt you, is having frequent discussions with elected officials and is sending out newsletters to get hundreds of people to show up at state legislature meetings. Is associated with fringe animal rights groups in the process.
Your hunting group has a problem.
Fastest way to get anything done through the legislature is to get one or two members ticked off about something. Time to start hunting their property in the same way yours is being hunted. I bet it wouldnt take a day to have a draft bill on the table.

Hmm, since the police probably would show up with a lawmaker complaining you best pay a few of these bad hunters to shift their attention that way instead.
Celeste likes this.
     
    02-17-2012, 12:00 PM
  #68
QOS
Green Broke
I wish Texas had a no hunting on Sunday law. As far as I know we don't. There are some places we ride during hunting season but I can't ride at my favorite place because of hunting. Some people still do but the people I ride with don't.

Some jackass was up there earlier last year and was shooting at propane tanks. What an idiot. Like there wasn't a major drought going on here. He blew up the tank and caused a huge fire in the forest. Dummy left his cooler with his initials on it. I do believe they nabbed the idiot. I would love to ride in Ebenezer during hunting season as it is so pretty but better safe than sorry. We heard shots one day riding there the week before hunting season started. Ugh. We turned around!
     
    02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
  #69
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOS    
I wish Texas had a no hunting on Sunday law. As far as I know we don't. There are some places we ride during hunting season but I can't ride at my favorite place because of hunting. Some people still do but the people I ride with don't.
Is your favorite place private or public property? Has your group ever been the victim of a directly unsafe act by a hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOS    
Some jackass was up there earlier last year and was shooting at propane tanks. What an idiot. Like there wasn't a major drought going on here. He blew up the tank and caused a huge fire in the forest. Dummy left his cooler with his initials on it. I do believe they nabbed the idiot. I would love to ride in Ebenezer during hunting season as it is so pretty but better safe than sorry. We heard shots one day riding there the week before hunting season started. Ugh. We turned around!
I'm going to explain this one more time: No hunting does NOT equal NO SHOOTING. You can make hunting illegal every single day of the week and you will not stop people shooting on their private property (so long as local ordinances are followed) or on formal shooting ranges.

Shooting on private rural property can and does go on year round. Do you mean that you will never ride outside an arena then?
     
    02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
  #70
Green Broke
I'm going to explain it one more time, Someone shooting at targets on their private property isnt the threat. It's the deer dog hunters with buckshot making snap decisions to shoot running deer that worry people. Along with the other disturbing news. Sorry but I'm not going to wait until AFTER my horse is shot to worry about unsafe acts. But to answer your question yes. A deer hunter shot and killed a horse recently in VA and ran off after discovering the mistake.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunting season Shenandoah Trail Riding 49 10-13-2011 10:26 AM
Safe To Ride? trIplEcrOwngIrl Horse Riding 11 08-08-2010 12:28 AM
haven't seen since hunting season! wordstoasong Jokes and Funnies 4 01-24-2010 09:52 PM
Safety orange for turnout during hunting season? snoggle Horse Tack and Equipment 31 11-09-2009 01:54 PM
Trail riding during hunting season appylover31803 Trail Riding 34 10-16-2008 02:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0