We've been planning a trip to the giant redwoods in northern CA for a while now. We'll be visiting many horse camps along the way on Oregon's coast and then back through the high desert on the east side of the mountains.
With the recent virus going around we thought that we may have to add our trip to the canceled list, so I've
Been in contact with the Departments of Agriculture and the state vets offices in WA/OR/CA over the past week. One last round of calls this morning to make sure that was still good to go and the various offices are telling us that we should have smooth riding. Other than normal precautions when traveling with horses there aren't any special protocols at this point. We were afraid that cross state travel with equines could get to be a hassle but thankfully it doesn't seem to be the case at this point.
All the beasts shots, vet checks, traveling papers etc are up to date, and we don't let them get too close to other horses typically anyway. We'll try to find camp sites away from the crowd if we can to further minimize exposure to other horsey germs.
I'm not letting the virus cancel any of my trail rides. Like you, I don't hang out at Fairgrounds or gatherings of large groups of horses. Our campsites are usually remote sites. Where we pull off the road and highline between trees. So the chances of my horses being tied in the same place as a horse from last week is pretty remote.
I'm going to guide a few folks down to Bryce Canyon and a ride up the Slots in the Grand Staircase Escalante. We were actually going to NE Utah to Uinta Wilderness, But the snow forecast scared my fellow riders away from that, So we will head down to Southern Utahs Color Country.
You should ride at horsfall (north of coos bay). We live right down the road from it and it's pretty deserted still. Went there 2 weeks ago and were the only ones there. Ride early though or it will be windy.
So much for my grand plans on “live blogging” the Oregon, Northern California and back trip.Trying to visit as many horse camps as possible in such a short amount of time made it quite a challenge to upload data the few times we had good cell coverage on the route.
At any rate it was a grand adventure with visits to nine horse camps in Oregon and California. Too bad the weather wasn’t cooperative, I think we pulled Seattle’s weather along with us, we had rain and or snow every day
On the way south we hugged the coast line and really enjoyed Oregon’s easy to access and wonderfully maintained equestrian designated camps that are practically on the beach. Nehalem Bay - Wild Mare – Bullards Beach – Cape Blanco
Once we got into California we stayed at the Cuneo horse camp in Humboldt State Park and saw some incredibly huge, and ancient, giant redwoods; very impressive! Cuneo isn’t terribly dog friendly however, as dogs are not allowed on any trails and neither are they permitted to stay in camp unattended. The stay at camp rule appeared to be pretty much ignored.
From Cuneo we headed inland and up into the Trinity Alps and visited the USFS’s Bridge Camp near Trinity Lake. Very nice and access to the PCT is nearby. Very nifty to think about riding and working on the same trail, only a thousand miles to the north!