Self defense on the trail - Page 12
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Self defense on the trail

This is a discussion on Self defense on the trail within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree125Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        11-10-2011, 09:12 PM
      #111
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bearkiller    
    Joe, with all do respect, there aren't many people who are going to stand around and wait to see if someone is a good shot. In fact 99% of people will take off at the sight of a gun and the rest will take off at the first shot fired. In fact, in the Utah concealed carry class they tell you to start shooting as soon as your gun's out of the holster. If you aim your dead. They do tell you to shoot to kill, though. If you get your gun that high and they are still there.There is also nothing in the constitution about responsible use or training or permits. I personally go to the range with my whole family and shoot. Because we enjoy it.
    WOW ! What an irresponsible use of a firearm, bullets never miss, they always hit something and every single one of them has a lawyer attached.
    So your basing your statistics on how many personally witnessed firefights ? If wishful thinking makes you feel better have at it. Evcery shot needs to be aimed.
    With freedom comes responsibility. I never said anything about government mandated training or proficiency tests. Those that make the choice to depend on a fire arm for self defense, ( which is a good choice I agree with) should take it apon them selves to become proficient in there use and know where each and every shot is going to land.
    Take a class learn from a pro, do some defensive shooting drills. Get out and practice. Don't elect politicians that take that right away from you.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        11-10-2011, 09:31 PM
      #112
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe4d    
    WOW ! What an irresponsible use of a firearm, bullets never miss, they always hit something and every single one of them has a lawyer attached.
    So your basing your statistics on how many personally witnessed firefights ? If wishful thinking makes you feel better have at it. Evcery shot needs to be aimed.
    With freedom comes responsibility. I never said anything about government mandated training or proficiency tests. Those that make the choice to depend on a fire arm for self defense, ( which is a good choice I agree with) should take it apon them selves to become proficient in there use and know where each and every shot is going to land.
    Take a class learn from a pro, do some defensive shooting drills. Get out and practice. Don't elect politicians that take that right away from you.
    I don't know if I've ever agreed with you more!
    mvinotime and Ripplewind like this.
         
        11-11-2011, 09:27 AM
      #113
    Weanling
    I didn't get what I was trying to say out very good. I agree with you about being proficient and responsible. I was just trying to say that when you are actually in a situation to where you're pulling a gun out, you're still not going to be shooting very often. Because there are very few people who are going to hang around to find out if you are a good shot. I agree 100% with what you said.
         
        11-11-2011, 03:35 PM
      #114
    Trained
    At the risk of being called a redneck, I have pulled a gun on someone. He was trying to run me down with his truck. I didn't have to shoot him. He put his vehicle in reverse. I would have shot him if he had not backed off. If it had come down to his life or mine, I consider mine more valuable because I don't go around trying to kill innocent people. I agree with what Bearkiller said. You usually don't have to actually shoot somebody. If, however, you are not willing to under any circumstance, then I think carrying a gun is more of a hazard than a help. He might take it away from you and shoot you. I can shoot and I will shoot. I prefer not to and would only do so to save my life or that of someone that was under my protection such as my child.
         
        12-10-2011, 06:21 PM
      #115
    Foal
    Thumbs down self defense on trail video

    Very good video and helpful. I am a 57 y/o woman, very small and not strong. I am hoping to find a nice trail horse and start riding on the trails here in Georgia. I never plan to be alone, but there may be a day when I can't find anyone to ride with me. The moves shown in this video are "do-a-ble". So now I won't be nearly as nervous. Thanks TB Lover
         
        12-11-2011, 06:20 PM
      #116
    Showing
    Wow! I never thought this would even happen.. I think I'd personally use going on a date most since my horse has quite the hind engine :P And it'd be great to use groundwork to keep someone away from you..

    Thanks grayshell!
         
        12-11-2011, 08:22 PM
      #117
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Wow! I never thought this would even happen..
    Why not?

    Why do people have this insane denial mechanism that precludes the possibility of being a crime victim?

    The probability of being the victim of violent crime is very, very small. However, the consequences of losing that fight are too severe. Therefore the risk cannot be ignored and a countermeasure must be developed and practiced.

    Risk management 101.
         
        12-11-2011, 08:26 PM
      #118
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mildot    
    Why not?

    Why do people have this insane denial mechanism that precludes the possibility of being a crime victim?

    The probability of being the victim of violent crime is very, very small. However, the consequences of losing that fight are too severe. Therefore the risk cannot be ignored and a countermeasure must be developed and practiced.

    Risk management 101.
    Well I just never think about being attacked anywhere.. on horse or on solid ground. I SHOULD APPARENTLY! You'd think watching all of those USA shows like Law and Order or Psych or whatnot, I'd think about self defense more seriously..

    I'm definitely going to work with my horse on self defense attacks because if someone made a grab for me (it'd be hard to reach me but yeah) I think Sky would lose his cookies and just bolt like no other..
         
        12-11-2011, 10:24 PM
      #119
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    I think Sky would lose his cookies and just bolt like no other..
    Just stick with him then and you'd be just fine .

    Sky, don't feel bad, most people don't think about what might happen until they are forced to think about it. I never thought about any of it until my Dad became a cop and it didn't really sink in until I went to work at a prison.
         
        12-11-2011, 10:31 PM
      #120
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smrobs    
    Just stick with him then and you'd be just fine .

    Sky, don't feel bad, most people don't think about what might happen until they are forced to think about it. I never thought about any of it until my Dad became a cop and it didn't really sink in until I went to work at a prison.
    Yep! Gotta keep that sticky seat :P

    Very true.. kudos for working at a prison. That must have been a pretty intense place :/ Cowgirl tough
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    trail course snazzydandy Western Riding 8 10-21-2012 07:21 PM
    The Bra Trail Trails Trail Riding 26 03-05-2010 06:12 PM
    Interesting self defense item mls General Off Topic Discussion 7 01-15-2010 12:44 PM
    The best trail ever grayshell38 Trail Riding 10 11-22-2009 08:54 PM
    In Defense of Blondes RegalCharm Jokes and Funnies 12 11-11-2008 02:02 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0