Tie Downs on the Trail? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Tie Downs on the Trail?

This is a discussion on Tie Downs on the Trail? within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Does chris cox use a tie down
  • Cris cox tie down

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-12-2010, 10:44 PM
  #11
Weanling
I would have been concerned as well. A horse uses it's neck for balance when going up and down hills. Had the horse stumbled, she could have gone down not being able to use her head. I don't even ride with martingales when I go out on trail. I like my horses to be able to use every muscle they need to maneuver the trails. I'm glad you had a nice ride though. I love riding in the fall, so much gorgeous color =)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-14-2010, 11:08 PM
  #12
Green Broke
I probably would have done the same thing you did: Not agree with the tie down on the mare, but not say anything because they did generously offer a horse for you to ride.

However, I do agree with most of what has been said. There is a purpose and a place for tie downs (not many, but there are) and trail riding is certainly not one of them.
     
    10-24-2010, 02:46 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck    
That just sounds plain dangerous to me. I stopped counting the number of times my horse caught himself from tripping by using his neck to balance himself. If it had been restricted, he probably would have done several face plants.

Hahaha! Know too well what you mean! Especially considering I'm riding a 5" pone of a stallion that's been backed just a couple of months ago! Any slip and my weight throws him off balance! If it were't for that loose rein let's just say I would brag about my straight nose anymore...
     
    11-01-2010, 10:59 PM
  #14
Foal
I'v used martingales on the trail before the horse would throw her head up and crow hop. She would crow hop and the previous rider would get off... So I put a martingale on her and with me riding her she has stoped throwing her head around and I took the martingale off. Sometimes you have to show the horse they can't do the head throwing and do it long enough for the horse to get the point and then take it off and if that includes the use of training aids then so be it. But only in certain circumstances does the training aid need to stay... sometimes a person has to use a tiedown because that's the only thing that can keep the horse down on hte ground or under control
     
    11-01-2010, 11:59 PM
  #15
FHF
Foal
I know this is not your horse but I would agree that for trail the horse would be most comfortable unrestrained. He will also be able to balance himself much better should he step in a hole or need to save himself or you. Chris Cox has some good techniques for getting a proper head set on a horse without martingales or tie downs.
     
    11-02-2010, 03:31 PM
  #16
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate1    
I'v used martingales on the trail before the horse would throw her head up and crow hop. She would crow hop and the previous rider would get off... So I put a martingale on her and with me riding her she has stoped throwing her head around and I took the martingale off. Sometimes you have to show the horse they can't do the head throwing and do it long enough for the horse to get the point and then take it off and if that includes the use of training aids then so be it. But only in certain circumstances does the training aid need to stay... sometimes a person has to use a tiedown because that's the only thing that can keep the horse down on hte ground or under control
While it is true that a tie down can be used as a training aid - the trail is not the appropriate place for that. The horse should be well trained before they ever hit the trail. If they really can't be ridden without a tie down, then they aren't an appropriate trail horse.

We ride on some very steep terrain and there are many times that I have had to "give my horse her head" when she is crossing something or going down a steep hill. If she were restricted, I'm sure she couldn't have stayed balanced on some of our rides.
     
    11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
  #17
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggle    
While it is true that a tie down can be used as a training aid - the trail is not the appropriate place for that. The horse should be well trained before they ever hit the trail. If they really can't be ridden without a tie down, then they aren't an appropriate trail horse.
Well the trail is not the place to train a horse to accept the rider or the aids, that's for sure, but it is the perfect place for everything else. It's great gymnastics, provides lots of ways to make lateral work interestning, keep the horse interested in work and above all, it's the best character building method I know. That ofcourse, if willing to wait and incite the horse's bravery instead of whipping or spuring him to overcome obstacles... that way all you achieve is a horse that is more afraid of the punishment than the obstacle... not very character building in my view... lol!
     
    11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
  #18
Trained
Can I just say - All of you are talking about the head being 'restricted' - If a tie down or martingale is being used correctly it shouldn't restrict the head at ALL unless it is almost vertical and about to hit the rider in the face.

A friend has/had a pony who is an awesome trail horse - Super brave, always our trailblazer, goes all day. He also has a super short neck and anxiety issues with a bit - He does occasionally do the head flip, so she has in the past trail ridden in a tie down. It was NEVER short enough to effect his balancing one iota - it only became taught when he tried to head flip.

My Arab is ridden in a running martingale most of the time on trails because when he gets excited, he head flips. The martingale on him is ridiculously long because he doesn't even try when it's on. We ride some pretty rough country and again, it has never affected his balance or head carriage.
     
    11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot    
My Arab is ridden in a running martingale most of the time on trails because when he gets excited, he head flips. The martingale on him is ridiculously long because he doesn't even try when it's on. We ride some pretty rough country and again, it has never affected his balance or head carriage.
hmm... can't talk about the loose ones. I personally never rode a horse that head-flips. I've been hit on the mouth and nose but becuse the horse reared up and around 180 to invert course on a tight passage, LOL! From then on I started riding with a hand resting on the horse's neck just in case. One thing is for sure. We ride on some mean thick bush and even the reins and our own legs become troublesome as they get stuck on everything. I would never dream of adding any more lining to the gear. Don't even risk a fullcheek bit!

Why do horses do that anyway? (apart from health issues) might it be breed related? I own a mare that's afraid of her own shadow and not even she does that...
     
    11-02-2010, 09:36 PM
  #20
Trained
With Wildey it is breed/personality related - he also does it in the paddock by himself, lol.

The other horse had a rough start to life and it was his way of expressing anxiety.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Karana Downs ODE ChingazMyBoy Eventing 11 08-16-2010 05:27 PM
Tie downs and such buddy09 Western Riding 123 12-10-2009 09:18 AM
Darling Downs show people (Queensland) Miss Katie Horse Shows 0 01-22-2009 04:48 AM
San Luis Rey Downs tour today! danastark Horse Talk 0 07-26-2008 05:54 PM
Tie Downs...Lunging.... and flexing ahearn Horse Training 24 03-07-2008 11:28 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0