Trail Riding Etiquette - Page 18
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Trail Riding

Trail Riding Etiquette

This is a discussion on Trail Riding Etiquette within the Trail Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree169Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-17-2012, 12:43 AM
      #171
    Weanling
    I haven't read the whole post yet but if it hasn't been said. Most times when I trail ride I'm the leader or second horse on the trail, unless I'm out for fun with people and a leader I trust. From that point I understand how important it is to know ever rider's ability before I start a trail. I always encourage people to tell me if they've got concerns or requests and to let me know what they are comfortable with and capable of doing judgement free so the trail can be planned accordingly. I've had several instances where a rider over estimated their ability and ended up ruining the trail for everyone else because I refuse to leave a rider behind and we cut it short to go back with them, or not telling me something that I should have known that resulted in many people getting injured. I also suggest you know the level of trail you're going on, I have had people complain that I'm moving too slow because I'm being considerate to those who haven't been on the trail before, or want to take in the sights rather then race by everything. I'm more likely to slow a trail down for a single rider than speed up for many.

    Telling the trail guide and the people around you of ANY medical conditions is also a must. I'm epileptic so I let riders know that we may have to stop and rest if I feel a fit coming on, some rides involve diabetics, arthritis, epilepsy, or even certain allergies so if everyone is aware then there will always be someone to help if that rider needs it.
    The two lead horses are always the 'guards' if we're crossing a main road, dirt road, or water way one horse on either side making a clear safe path to hold off any traffic or to show the safest path through in the case of water. When everyone has crossed they wait on the other side and wait for the guards to take the lead again.
    Make sure to have experienced riders throughout the group with walkie talkies or within calling distance so if someone in the back needs to stop I know not to keep going and there is no unneeded yelling in case it spooks a horse.
    Let people know about medical conditions
    Never be afraid to let the leader know what you can and can't do, they will usually work with you to make sure you enjoy the ride
    Be prepared to help someone in crisis, I can't count how many times I've helped a rider or needed help because of my medical condition
    Dress accordingly, even if there's a minimal chance of rain it doesn't hurt to bring a rain coat
    Most of all just enjoy the ride, if you're high strung and can't enjoy the trail and sights you'll ruin it for everyone.
    Blue and Boo Walker like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
      #172
    Foal
    Having read quite a few posts on this subject, it seem to me that you folks ride with far too many others to enjoy your outing..

    Personally I like to ride with a small group only and with riders we all know as far as poss...

    Don't go riding in large groups with inexperienced horses, they learn right or wrong from other horses playing up and next you have similar problems.

    The poor old horse is often out of its comfort zone in these situations and is only defending itself in these scary (to the horse) situations.

    Seek and go with quiet experienced riders and horses to teach your horse the ins and out of trail riding, then, if you must.. go in large groups.

    We have an annual cavalcade ride in various locations once a year and it nothing to have 70 to 100 riders all in a group... what fun is that..? half the horses are playing up.. half the riders are verbally or under their breath abusing others..

    This is not what getting out on a horse is about..

    Personally I wont take anyone into the mountains who I don't know, I have been caught before with folks who depend heavily and need spoon feeding constantly.. I go to enjoy, and create memories and have fun with the small group we associate with..

    Get to know other riders who you are comfortable with and ride with them..!
    Lets get the pleasure back into our recreation....!
         
        08-18-2012, 06:42 AM
      #173
    Weanling
    So I will just ask this here instead of starting a new thread, and apologies; I haven't read this whole thread, just a few pages. So maybe there answer is already here.

    But if you will bear with me, my question is: what do you do when you're at a swift canter out on a trail, and you come across another rider? Keep on going no matter what? Someone did this to me last night, and I was furious.... I always slow down to a walk, if I'm not already walking, acknowledge/greet the other rider, and at a sensible distance pick up my previous gait. You just never know how a stranger's horse may react to you zooming past it at close quarters... right? Am I too sensitive?
         
        08-18-2012, 07:27 AM
      #174
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muumi    
    So I will just ask this here instead of starting a new thread, and apologies; I haven't read this whole thread, just a few pages. So maybe there answer is already here.

    But if you will bear with me, my question is: what do you do when you're at a swift canter out on a trail, and you come across another rider? Keep on going no matter what? Someone did this to me last night, and I was furious.... I always slow down to a walk, if I'm not already walking, acknowledge/greet the other rider, and at a sensible distance pick up my previous gait. You just never know how a stranger's horse may react to you zooming past it at close quarters... right? Am I too sensitive?
    Good on you... do unto others as you hopefully would have them do unto you..!

    Manners are something most of us have and enjoy, unfortunately, not everyone seems to posses them..
         
        08-18-2012, 07:52 AM
      #175
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canterburyhorsetrailrider    
    Good on you... do unto others as you hopefully would have them do unto you..!

    Manners are something most of us have and enjoy, unfortunately, not everyone seems to posses them..
    Thanks for your reply... I'm not trying to seem goody-two-shoes, I was just furious, because this person's actions sent my arab spooking and reeling, and pretty much made her feel like a bit of a wreck for a bit, because in her mind, I guess, she was feeling a little OMG about walking in the direction that another horse had just appeared to be fleeing from.

    I was just wondering whether it was one of those situations where I'm deluded, and in the other rider's mind, she did nothing wrong, I should be able to control my horse better.
    Boo Walker likes this.
         
        08-18-2012, 08:23 AM
      #176
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muumi    
    Thanks for your reply... I'm not trying to seem goody-two-shoes, I was just furious, because this person's actions sent my arab spooking and reeling, and pretty much made her feel like a bit of a wreck for a bit, because in her mind, I guess, she was feeling a little OMG about walking in the direction that another horse had just appeared to be fleeing from.

    I was just wondering whether it was one of those situations where I'm deluded, and in the other rider's mind, she did nothing wrong, I should be able to control my horse better.
    No.. the situation was... the other rider not having the common manners to look after others..

    Its just selfish... her thinking..I am ok Jack..stuff you..!

    In this modern world we seem to come across these people more and more...

    This is one reason I load up a horse and head into the mountains..... love the peace and just being able to talk to my horse and ask him to solve the problems of this world.... he nods his head..(wink) sure Dad.. I will look after you..lol
    DimSum and Boo Walker like this.
         
        08-18-2012, 09:24 AM
      #177
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muumi    
    Thanks for your reply... I'm not trying to seem goody-two-shoes, I was just furious, because this person's actions sent my arab spooking and reeling, and pretty much made her feel like a bit of a wreck for a bit, because in her mind, I guess, she was feeling a little OMG about walking in the direction that another horse had just appeared to be fleeing from.

    I was just wondering whether it was one of those situations where I'm deluded, and in the other rider's mind, she did nothing wrong, I should be able to control my horse better.
    The polite thing to do is slow down when passing. But you have to see the other side too. Many riders honestly believe a horse should be able to take something like a horse speeding by going in the other direction, if they can't then they shouldn't be there. In other words, it's your fault your horse acted up over them passing at speed and not their fault. To me it's as valid an argument as being polite and slowing down.

    Yes I've been on the recieving end of this situation when training young horses. I didn't blame the other rider, I used the situation as a training session instead.
         
        08-18-2012, 11:42 AM
      #178
    Trained
    Guess some of us have to TRAIN our horses for trail riding, which means they aren't all Ol' Bombproof! I'd be PISSED if someone came riding like a bat outta hell and passed me in either direction without slowing down - assuming the horse wasn't bolting. All of my horses would consider that cause for alarm. And there is about a 50% chance my mare would give the racing horse a face full of hooves.

    Of course, that would be the other rider's fault for not having a better trained horse...

    Maybe it is where I come from. Most trails here can barely hold two horses side-by-side, and are surrounded by cactus. But the natural instinct of a horse seeing another horse 'fleeing' is to assume there is something chasing it. Heck, to date at least, all the dirt bike riders I've met have had more sense than that!
         
        08-18-2012, 12:02 PM
      #179
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsms    
    Guess some of us have to TRAIN our horses for trail riding, which means they aren't all Ol' Bombproof!
    EXACTLY!

    My horse is young, being trained, and gaining experience and miles. 4-going-on-5. Every single well-trained horse has been here to get to where they are now. However she is extremely solid and calm, and usually won't even offer to shy at anything, so this must have freaked her out Big Time. I think she really thought something was hunting that horse down!

    But what if I was a kid, or way more inexperienced or nervous, or rode a way more nervous horse? This person has no way of knowing. And even though its not her responsibility to take care of me and my horse, I would really like to think that riders have each others backs, so to speak. We ALL know how quickly ANY horse can do something stupid, so why cause each other unnecessary stress? She didn't even look back to check if I was ok, even though she saw my horse reacting to hers. What if I had taken a bad fall?
         
        08-18-2012, 12:31 PM
      #180
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muumi    
    But what if I was a kid, or way more inexperienced or nervous, or rode a way more nervous horse? This person has no way of knowing. And even though its not her responsibility to take care of me and my horse, I would really like to think that riders have each others backs, so to speak. We ALL know how quickly ANY horse can do something stupid, so why cause each other unnecessary stress? She didn't even look back to check if I was ok, even though she saw my horse reacting to hers. What if I had taken a bad fall?
    I'm going to play devil's advocate on my own post, and say that many people would think that inexperienced riders or children shouldn't be out of arenas unsupervised. This is true, and shouldn't form part of my argument in fact. Oh well. At least it was a learning experience for my horse... next time she will hopefully just shrug her shoulders and say 'eh'.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Trail riding alone sydney Horse Riding 29 10-06-2012 01:16 PM
    Trail Riding saddles My2Geldings Trail Riding 50 03-29-2010 09:27 PM
    First trail riding... :) kitten_Val Horse Pictures 6 09-12-2008 06:47 AM
    Dec Trail Riding Huckabuck Horse Pictures 2 12-05-2007 03:42 AM
    Riding trail, what do I need? drewsylla Horse Tack and Equipment 11 09-18-2007 09:18 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0