Trail riding UK style... - The Horse Forum

 33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Trail riding UK style...

or a long hack Yesterday Hattie and I decided to go out and other than putting a drink in my pocket I had no real plans as to where to go - we ended up travelling cool green lanes and roads and a rather hot arid hill top and 16 miles! And were out for 3 and 3/4 hours.

I took my camera for company.

First chance for a photo off the busy road (Hattie and I can see a canter on the books)


Beautiful scabious wild flowers everywhere


Past a fish farm


Past a farm


Up more tracks


First obstacle, some very badly designed gates - you cannot turn around in the corridor


But Hattie said that was OK for a quick snack


Onwards


And looking back



Clava is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Ahh we must be trail riding it says so


Cool and shady along the disused railway line (but my camera couldn't cope)


Up the hill (still not even really sweating)


And some views from the top



Cows in the shade, Hattie kept an ear on them, later we had to go through their field and one decided to try and chance us down the steep hill, so I turned Hattie to chance it away as I did n't want them all joining in chasing me down the track


Home village in sight, it was now gone 2 pm and we were feeling a bit hot and tired


A little video of our hack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNuWKokKuxw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQPwTpiWgJ7iCQotbWHAxtA

Hattie back home and showered.
Wallaby, Hidalgo13, bsms and 6 others like this.
Clava is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Western NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,078
• Horses: 3
That beautiful white luscious mane... *chops it off and glues it on her horse*

And I thought my 'trail riding' took me through nice scenery! You UKers have the benefit of lush greenery.
Wallaby, Clava and Roadyy like this.
Tracer is offline  
post #4 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 04:43 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,958
• Horses: 0
Fab pics! So jealous! It looks like you had a blast. There are no bridleways near me or quiet roads to get out on :( Soon as I leave my drive, i'm on tarmac.. if I go right im in the town in 2k... so my hacking results in braving a trip on the busy roads - not very relaxing.
Clava likes this.

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
Fab pics! So jealous! It looks like you had a blast. There are no bridleways near me or quiet roads to get out on :( Soon as I leave my drive, i'm on tarmac.. if I go right im in the town in 2k... so my hacking results in braving a trip on the busy roads - not very relaxing.

Oh that's a shame I've heard that before of hacking in Ireland, is that why hunting is so popular?

I had to ride 2 miles on a road that is quite busy enough for me, we get double decker buses and the odd articulated lorry...and lots of tractors!
Clava is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,958
• Horses: 0
My road is very busy as it's between 3 towns.. one of which is renowned for "boy racers" who fly up and down the road. DD has been hacking the pony on it but she is only allowed go as far as I can see her and I stand in the middle of the road waving cars down. We once had a young lad blast his car horn at us when he flew by!!

Umm... being a "foreigner" living here, and i'm sure i'll offend - I think the Irish like hunting so much because it gives people who can't be bothered to learn to ride properly a chance to go bombing through fields/ditches with a gang of other horses. My horse was used as a "beginners hunting horse" and was loaned out to people - none of the people were taught anything, it was a case of "up and away". I know a 7yo girl who is hunting already - she came to ride DD's pony - she had no contact with her reins, her seat was sloppy, her heels were darn near touchin the clouds, she was leaning to far forward that I thought she as preparing to ride the grand national. Child still out hunting, which frightens the life out of me!

Stop for a minute, open your mind, learn. You may not agree with what I say, I may not agree with what you say but we will both learn something new.
Maple is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
My road is very busy as it's between 3 towns.. one of which is renowned for "boy racers" who fly up and down the road. DD has been hacking the pony on it but she is only allowed go as far as I can see her and I stand in the middle of the road waving cars down. We once had a young lad blast his car horn at us when he flew by!!

Umm... being a "foreigner" living here, and i'm sure i'll offend - I think the Irish like hunting so much because it gives people who can't be bothered to learn to ride properly a chance to go bombing through fields/ditches with a gang of other horses. My horse was used as a "beginners hunting horse" and was loaned out to people - none of the people were taught anything, it was a case of "up and away". I know a 7yo girl who is hunting already - she came to ride DD's pony - she had no contact with her reins, her seat was sloppy, her heels were darn near touchin the clouds, she was leaning to far forward that I thought she as preparing to ride the grand national. Child still out hunting, which frightens the life out of me!
Well yes, that reason too.
Clava is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: southern Arizona
Posts: 8,841
• Horses: 4
What a beautiful ride! I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 89-92. It is closed now. It was about 15 miles north of Oxford. I didn't ride horses back then, but used to love jogging with the dog...particularly on a foggy evening, with a route that caused an old pub to appear out of the mist like in a werewolf movie! A part of our normal jogging route also took us down part of a bridle path, although I never saw any horses using it. On a sunny day, we could also look out over Upper & Lower Heyford.
Clava likes this.

"There goes Earl!"
bsms is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 3,411
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms View Post
What a beautiful ride! I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford from 89-92. It is closed now. It was about 15 miles north of Oxford. I didn't ride horses back then, but used to love jogging with the dog...particularly on a foggy evening, with a route that caused an old pub to appear out of the mist like in a werewolf movie! A part of our normal jogging route also took us down part of a bridle path, although I never saw any horses using it. On a sunny day, we could also look out over Upper & Lower Heyford.
It was stunning that day
The valley I live in is often misty / foggy in autumn, I love it when the horses appear out of the mist a the bottom of my field. We rarely see others out riding which is odd when there are quite a few horses kept nearby.
Clava is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,377
• Horses: 0
Great pics - beautiful countryside. Thank you!
Clava likes this.
Chevaux is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
English style trail saddle recommendations Cavecanis Trail Riding 3 07-27-2012 09:45 PM
Riding any style anndankev Natural Horsemanship 107 11-02-2011 12:25 AM
What style of riding is this? MsKibibi Horse Riding 24 07-21-2011 09:24 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome