Critque before we enter our first show
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Western Pleasure

Critque before we enter our first show

This is a discussion on Critque before we enter our first show within the Western Pleasure forums, part of the Western Riding category

    Like Tree6Likes
    • 1 Post By churumbeque
    • 1 Post By Cynical25
    • 1 Post By Larissa
    • 1 Post By Red Gate Farm
    • 1 Post By Larissa
    • 1 Post By Cynical25

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-08-2014, 02:23 AM
      #1
    Foal
    Critque before we enter our first show

    All western pleasure riders and judges: this is my 23yr old morgan gelding we will be showing in a local show soon and I wanted opinions on my gelding, is this what you want to see in the show ring? Have more video and pictures upon request (ignore me just watch the horse im not sure why but sometimes I school using two hands) no rude comments please, he is pleasure trained and have won state shows and high point awards, and local shows, this is my first time showing him let me know what you think we are doing pony western pleasure, open, and senior western pleasure.

    http://vid1174.photobucket.com/album...ps29d55bcb.mp4

    http://vid1174.photobucket.com/album...ps7c0484ab.mp4

    http://vid1174.photobucket.com/album...ps5df963e3.mp4
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-08-2014, 03:18 AM
      #2
    Super Moderator
    You know I love your horse. He's too cute!

    What sticks out sorely is that you have your elbows stiff and your hands much too low. I am sorry , but it looks a bit like you are driving a wheelbarrow. That isn't meant to sound harsh, becuase I know you are trying to learn and grow.

    But, look at the last video where you are sitting up and holding with one hand. SOOO much nicer. It's not just that you are one handing, but that you are not trying to pull , or hold, his head in some position.

    Get those hands up, dear, and sit up , ride proud and centered with your hands connected to your core, not out stiff like two sticks pointing at the ground.

    You'll get there!
         
        08-08-2014, 03:23 AM
      #3
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    you know I love your horse. He's too cute!

    What sticks out sorely is that you have your elbows stiff and your hands much too low. I am sorry , but it looks a bit like you are driving a wheelbarrow. That isn't meant to sound harsh, becuase I know you are trying to learn and grow.

    But, look at the last video where you are sitting up and holding with one hand. SOOO much nicer. It's not just that you are one handing, but that you are not trying to pull , or hold, his head in some position.

    Get those hands up, dear, and sit up , ride proud and centered with your hands connected to your core, not out stiff like two sticks pointing at the ground.

    You'll get there!

    Haha thanks I adore my horse too! And oh I know what you mean I really wasn't working on myself today like I should have I have about 3 more weeks to practice so I will for sure take what you said and use it (:
         
        08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
      #4
    Green Broke
    I personally would ride it like a Morgan not a qtr horse. It is open to every breed so they wouldn't expect an arabian to look like a peanut roller. And trim the tree branch so you don't have to duck and change your position.
    DocIsMyPony likes this.
         
        08-08-2014, 10:24 AM
      #5
    Yearling
    He looked good when you were riding one handed (as you should be for his age.) Whatever you were trying to do when you were two-handed wasn't working for either of you! As previously stated, he's a Morgan and the head carriage he had in your one-handed video was correct for him. Make sure you stay out of his mouth in the ring - you were "bumping" him a lot and will get marked down for it. I'd personally show a Morgan (or Arab, Saddlebred, anything with more upright head carriage) in romel reins, not split reins. As an added bonus, romels will give your free hand something to do/hold and you'll be more likely to keep it still.

    Keep your own head up and looking forward, not looking down at your horse. You need to exude confidence in your horse and yourself at a show, whether or not you feel it. Good luck & have fun!
    DocIsMyPony likes this.
         
        08-08-2014, 11:27 AM
      #6
    Weanling
    Yes as others said, ride him like a Morgan not a QH. Definitely don't try to hold him in a frame or whatever, it looks very bad. Just let him move like you did in the last video. Deep breathes, be confident. Look forward.
    DocIsMyPony likes this.
         
        08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cynical25    
    Keep your own head up and looking forward, not looking down at your horse. You need to exude confidence in your horse and yourself at a show, whether or not you feel it. Good luck & have fun!
    This too. Nice horse! Have fun with him
    DocIsMyPony likes this.
         
        08-10-2014, 11:50 AM
      #8
    Foal
    Thanks for all the responses (: I will definitely put updated video up and switch to one handed and ride more like a morgan, this is my first western show so I thought the judges like the quarter horse look better, one question how would you wanna see him lope?? Low and slow like a pleasure horse?? Or more moved out??
         
        08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    The quarter horse look, they (some) like on the quarter horses. But since he isn't a qh, it doesn't work for him. Since he is a morgan, he has (should) more knee action. So he def isn't going to move like a pleasure qh. Once again, because he is a morgan lol. Let him move out some. Let him move like a Morgan is supposed to. I also have a morgan, and they are great horses. Just remember, ride him like he is a morgan and let him move like that too. You don't want to try and make him move like a qh. Good luck :)
    DocIsMyPony likes this.
         
        08-11-2014, 10:33 AM
      #10
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocIsMyPony    
    Thanks for all the responses (: I will definitely put updated video up and switch to one handed and ride more like a morgan, this is my first western show so I thought the judges like the quarter horse look better, one question how would you wanna see him lope?? Low and slow like a pleasure horse?? Or more moved out??
    If your goal is to please a QH judge, you need a QH! You're not going to fool a QH judge into thinking you're on a QH.

    Trying to make him something he is not will disappoint you, frustrate your horse, and lower your score. Show him however HE looks best - if that is a slightly more elevated lope, embrace it. Proudly show the horse you HAVE to the best of his and your ability.
    DocIsMyPony likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    What Show Divison Should I Enter???? Lynxlover Horse Shows 8 08-09-2012 12:01 AM
    Show in a month, what classes whould I enter in? Klassic Superstar Horse Training 3 01-03-2011 11:08 PM
    Big Breed show! enter!!! PintoTess Horse Contests 106 11-02-2010 10:09 PM
    Possible first show.....enter or not to enter SonnyWimps Horse Shows 7 08-15-2008 01:32 PM
    Online Horse Show!!! Please Enter scooter132004 Horse Pictures 22 01-22-2007 06:55 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0