Well, I am new to western pleasure, and I was thinking of doing some small shows later on in the year so I have a couple of questions!
1) Do the WP horses in small classes have to do the 'peanut roller' thing they do it high up classes? I am not sure if that is the right word for it too :O
2) What if your horse does not neck rein, can you do it 2 handed? (I am teaching my horse how to neck rein right now)
3) Do I need super nice saddles with the silver on them for starting out, or will my roping saddle work?
4) How low does the horses head have to be?
5) Are there special bits involved in the small horse shows?
Keep in mind that this is really low level stuff, not anything fancy and high up there
Anyways replying to this post: Welcome to the club! Lol I'm new to western pleasure and shows altogether too :) Just started in September :) Anyways from what I can gather is that I do NOT know what the peanut roller is... I've never been asked to do it anyways, but I just do the local stuff.
2)you can use two hands if your horse is under the age of 6 and you have the right bit. But I know my horse didn't really know how to neck rein either and she's 24 lol!
3)I don't use a super fancy saddle at all. There wasn't any silver on it or any type of bling, it's just kinda a casual 'barn saddle' I call it :p
4) I don't think it's a matter of how low the head is I think it's more how relaxed the horse is. And also when you're doing pleasure you have to smile and act as if your horse is the best in the world btw! I hate that part :p
5) yep you have to have the right bit. I don't know much about that stuff (I just went up to my lease's owner and said "Can I use this bit?" and she said "yeah that's fine" lol! She tried to explain it to me but either I don't get it or I really wasn't listening :p) so I'm not one to ask, but I use a basic curb bit. Hope that helps :)