Why is this desired in western pleasure? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding > Western Pleasure

Why is this desired in western pleasure?

This is a discussion on Why is this desired in western pleasure? within the Western Pleasure forums, part of the Western Riding category
  • Western pleasure looks funny

Like Tree151Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
  #31
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
This is the answer I too am looking for... is there purpose in it? Was it better for checking fields or something?

Is there a purpose to Dressage? Is there a purpose to barrel racing? Is there a purpose to racing in general?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-01-2012, 04:43 PM
  #32
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
I think part of the headset for western pleasure , or rather the head position, being really low, comes from the horse who is herding cattle. That low position gives good visibility in the close to medium range of distance, and it is the natural position the horse has when he is "moving" another animal with his body.
It is easy on the neck muscles, too, as long as the head is not pulled behind the vertical.
That is one thing I see in the Arabian WP; every single horse has his face behind the vertical. This will restrict their vision somewhat.
Yep....like roping cows...the head is out of the way. With a cutter, cutting cows...look at where their heads are, eye level with that cow. Same thing with reiners.....with their heads lower in the circles and the sliding stops. If you are chasing a cow, the horse better have his head lower and focused and looking, and NOT up like a giraffe looking at birds....LOL.

For western PLEASURE.....the REASON is right in the name. It's for pleasure....like a leisurely Sunday right, the cows are in, no fences to mend, nowhere to get in a hurry...just an enjoyable laid back ride. I don't understand how ya'll don't get that. No wait a minute, I do know how. Through assumption that WP horses are lame, unhappy, unnatural, forced and intimidated...and quite frankly it's tedious and unbecoming.
     
    07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
  #33
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
Yep....like roping cows...the head is out of the way. With a cutter, cutting cows...look at where their heads are, eye level with that cow. Same thing with reiners.....with their heads lower in the circles and the sliding stops. If you are chasing a cow, the horse better have his head lower and focused and looking, and NOT up like a giraffe looking at birds....LOL.

For western PLEASURE.....the REASON is right in the name. It's for pleasure....like a leisurely Sunday right, the cows are in, no fences to mend, nowhere to get in a hurry...just an enjoyable laid back ride. I don't understand how ya'll don't get that. No wait a minute, I do know how. Through assumption that WP horses are lame, unhappy, unnatural, forced and intimidated...and quite frankly it's tedious and unbecoming.
I think people just get used to horses moving a certain way and whatever deviates from that makes them think lameness or pain. I've seen more than one person be utterly convinced that the Tennesee Walker they were looking at was lame. In reality, the horses in question werent lame - it was a Dressage person seeing different movement than what they're used to seeing. Some people think Arabs are strung out because they keep their heads high. It's just a matter of what image the viewer has in their head about "normal" movement.
Posted via Mobile Device
bsms and DimSum like this.
     
    07-01-2012, 05:53 PM
  #34
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingArabian    
I think people just get used to horses moving a certain way and whatever deviates from that makes them think lameness or pain. I've seen more than one person be utterly convinced that the Tennesee Walker they were looking at was lame. In reality, the horses in question werent lame - it was a Dressage person seeing different movement than what they're used to seeing. Some people think Arabs are strung out because they keep their heads high. It's just a matter of what image the viewer has in their head about "normal" movement.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is why I became a well-rounded rider YEARS ago....by doing dressage, H/J, Western, HUS etc, worked with/owned Arabs, Morgans, ASB's, TB's etc....so I had some knowledge on all the disciplines and breeds. I didn't pigeon-hole myself into one way of thinking or observing. But, I guess not everyone has the desire or the urge to do that, and would rather assume and pass judgement with knowledge instead. If that's their thing, that's cool...but it's not mine.
     
    07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
  #35
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny    
I've never understood it either and I remember back in the day they had their heads even lower (peanut rolling). Luckily they don't let them do THAT anymore. I do admire the patience and training to get a horse to move like that...especially the one in the video with his back rounded up nicely and using himself.

I don't think Cinny could do that. In fact, he walks way to fast for dressage, equitation, hunters, etc. I've put him in some "suitibility" and "equitation" classes (rail classes) at local dressage shows and I remember my husband panicking the first time when he saw the juniors go. He came running up and said "look how slow they are going, can you get him to go that slow?" And well, I got his walk timed out okay and got him to really hold back, and we were still too fast. He can go very slow in the arena with a lot of work and patience, (about 30 secs between steps) but it really drains all of his patience by the time we go halfway around the arena. Good for topline though :)
LOL that is too funny, just imagining your husband coming up to you to ask you while your at the show. Hehe no disrespect intended.
     
    07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
  #36
Weanling
I know nothing about western pleasure, and I'm sure there is a lot of time put into that but wow that is slow. To me they look downtroding and depressed, I know they probably aren't but to the untrained mind it just doesn't seem very horse like.
inaclick likes this.
     
    07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
  #37
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1313    
I know nothing about western pleasure, and I'm sure there is a lot of time put into that but wow that is slow. To me they look downtroding and depressed, I know they probably aren't but to the untrained mind it just doesn't seem very horse like.
I know, my first impression is that they walk like my 19-year-old arthritic cat who can't even jump half-way to our bed (we have an ottoman at the foot to split the difference and she pulls herself from floor to ottoman, then to bedtop).

Yeah, yeah, I know they're athletic & well-trained that way etc etc, I'm just saying what they look like to the uninformed, uninitiated viewer.

Anne
Eolith and inaclick like this.
     
    07-01-2012, 08:00 PM
  #38
Yearling
To me they do not look "engaged" as a whole.
     
    07-01-2012, 08:29 PM
  #39
Green Broke
Different breeds have different standards. I like this.
MsBHavin and Silent one like this.
     
    07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
  #40
Weanling
See, and I don't see the appeal of those horses. I'm sure the people who show them have a ton of fun.

Different strokes, for different folks. No harm in that.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Western Pleasure...? QHriderKE Horse Riding 177 02-05-2012 02:23 PM
Halter, Western Pleasure, Western Horsemanship kaykat31 Horse Showmanship 6 09-01-2011 05:54 PM
Western Pleasure girl_on_black_pony Western Riding 0 08-09-2008 06:48 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0