Any idea what this is for?

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Any idea what this is for?

This is a discussion on Any idea what this is for? within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

LinkBack Thread Tools
    09-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Any idea what this is for?

I've seen some of the western riders at my barn put some sort of twine around their horses face. Its a rough looking twine that looks like a noseband placed too high and then from that it goes around the poll. I've seen people put these on under their headstalls and could not for the life of my figure out what it was for. . Any ideas? Also, I've seen where (excuse my horrible explanation) two pieces of string coming from the bit, one on top strung to both ends and one on the bottom also strung to both ends, and when the bit is put in the horses mouth these pieces of string are put above and below his front teeth, is it a way to make the bit more harsh?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
    09-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Teen Forum Moderator
Is this twine pulling down on the bridge of the horse's nose, down towards it's chest? (hooked to the girth, or to the breastplate?)

If so, it's a form of tie-down. A gimick really, because although it's purpose is to keep the horse's head down and it's body rounded, it only serves to make the horse brace against pressure, and form uneven, bulgy muscles in the wrong places. If it looks like twine, it's most likely baling string (it ties a hay square up.) and it's just someone's cheap way of masking a problem.

Not too sure about the piece in the horse's mouths...
    09-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Green Broke
Sounds like a tie-down to me.
As for the 2nd explaination, it could be a bit rigged to be more severe or else I have seen people use string placed under the horse's lips to prevent bucking.
    09-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Its not tied to anything and isn't a rope halter either, that's why I was so confused...

The string was placed like it would be should you put string on your gums.
Posted via Mobile Device
    09-22-2011, 11:14 PM
FD, are you talking about something similar to these things?

    09-22-2011, 11:28 PM
It was twine similar to that, but it looked as thought it had no mechanical use, just string tied around the horses face. :s
Posted via Mobile Device
    09-22-2011, 11:29 PM
Green Broke
Subbing because I'm interested!
Posted via Mobile Device
    09-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Hmm, I don't know then. I've seen some people put some funky ass things on their horse's faces, sometimes just for the appearance of them, but I cannot imagine anyone thinking that twine would add something to the appearance of a horse .
    09-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Hm. Maybe I'll ask him if I see him again.
Posted via Mobile Device
    09-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Couldn't possibly hurt, then you could let us know as well because I'm curious too.

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now here is an idea. Spyder Horse Protection 2 07-10-2009 03:06 AM
Any idea what these are? Supermane Horse Health 1 09-20-2008 09:28 AM
I've had an idea. 4EverPainted Horse Talk 7 08-29-2008 12:50 PM
New Idea please help!!! blue_moon_721 Trail Riding 2 07-03-2008 09:11 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0