Which bit?
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

Which bit?

This is a discussion on Which bit? within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category
  • Chris cox d ring snaffle
  • Clinton anderson favorite bits

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
  #1
Foal
Post Which bit?

I have a D- Ring Snaffle and I was wondering what a good bit would be to try on my horse because he will NOT respond to my current bit, without me doing a one-rein stop. I ride western with him. He is a 15 yr old quarter horse.
I have had him for 3 years. I used to ride him in a "quick-stop" by weaver. Its like a hackamore. He responded to it pretty good but he has been using this snaffle for about 6 months and is getting numb to it. Also, I use my seat often. Sitting back and waiting for him to slow down or stop. Then pull til he stops, then I release. But yesterday he wouldn't what-so-ever. I was in a canter and had to do a one-rein stop and he won't respond. Its quite annoying and not to mention dangerous at times. So what bit should I get? I don't want it to be too harsh and I want it to have a e-break. By the way, I have been riding for years but I do not know much about bits at all.

What do you think about these? People have recommended them to me.

French link o-ring
Solid mouth swivel shank
Or this one http://images.auctionants.com/257604.jpg


I have no idea. Thanks in advance (:
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    08-05-2011, 02:30 PM
  #2
Started

This is my favorite bit for a horse who responds.. If your horse isn't responding to a snaffle he needs to be taught to give.. If your horse is leaning on the snaffle and becoming less responsive than he was I have to assume it may be you. Just sayin.. Mostly I believe you are going to have to begin again with teaching him to give to a light feel. Once you can get suppleness and responsiveness to lightness you can use this bit if you chose.. I find it easy to give a direct rein cue when needed to back up my other cues. Stopping comes from many places besides the bit.. Seat, leg... Body language..
     
    08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
  #3
Foal
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt    

This is my favorite bit for a horse who responds.. If your horse isn't responding to a snaffle he needs to be taught to give.. If your horse is leaning on the snaffle and becoming less responsive than he was I have to assume it may be you. Just sayin.. Mostly I believe you are going to have to begin again with teaching him to give to a light feel. Once you can get suppleness and responsiveness to lightness you can use this bit if you chose.. I find it easy to give a direct rein cue when needed to back up my other cues. Stopping comes from many places besides the bit.. Seat, leg... Body language..
Okay, thanks. What is that bit called? And what are some exercises that with help him to be soft and supple and give easier?
     
    08-05-2011, 04:42 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
And what are some exercises that with help him to be soft and supple and give easier?
Other than steady, soft, forgiving hands, not much.

In general, any bit can be used incorrectly with incorrect hands.
     
    08-05-2011, 04:43 PM
  #5
Banned
Curious why you were using the Quick Stop in the first place? I suspect that a lot of your current bitting problems come from the prior use of that equipment...
     
    08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba13    
Curious why you were using the Quick Stop in the first place? I suspect that a lot of your current bitting problems come from the prior use of that equipment...
He was already used to that. His previous owner used it on him, so I kept using it.
     
    08-05-2011, 04:50 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodIndigo    
Other than steady, soft, forgiving hands, not much.

In general, any bit can be used incorrectly with incorrect hands.

Yes I do have steady, soft, forgiving hands. Yeah that is very true. What do you suggest I do to get him to respond to this bit or what new bit should I try?
     
    08-05-2011, 04:51 PM
  #8
Started
It is called different things in different catalogs. Lol
statelinetack has it for a very good price.. When I bought it it was called a Francois Gauthier Antique Low Port Futurity Bit still is at Smith bro, but they are pricier. ;)

You need to get with someone who knows how to teach suppling an yielding if at all possible.. If there is no one do some research online, Youtube even.. Look at Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Giving to the bit.. and use a simple snaffle.. D ring, Full cheek, Loose Oring whatever.. but no shanks for this.. Start with a halter on the ground and work up to a bit, then mounted..
     
    08-05-2011, 05:02 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appyt    
It is called different things in different catalogs. Lol
statelinetack has it for a very good price.. When I bought it it was called a Francois Gauthier Antique Low Port Futurity Bit still is at Smith bro, but they are pricier. ;)

You need to get with someone who knows how to teach suppling an yielding if at all possible.. If there is no one do some research online, Youtube even.. Look at Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Giving to the bit.. and use a simple snaffle.. D ring, Full cheek, Loose Oring whatever.. but no shanks for this.. Start with a halter on the ground and work up to a bit, then mounted..
Funny you said that.! I lovvve Clinton Anderson and have been doing the Fundamentals grroundwork series. I have completed all the groundwork, some of the riding. Such as flexing, cruise control, follow the fence, and one-rein stops of coarse. Haha. But he is just so numb to that bit, like he turns really difficultly and like I said, will not stop easily. He such a different horse on the ground, though! Which exercises are you referring to?
     
    08-05-2011, 08:07 PM
  #10
Foal
Sweetie, you need a trainer. Getting another bit will help for a while then it will stop working. Stopping is a pretty big thing, if you don't have a stop you are in very real danger in the event of an emergency. Look around for a good trainer and if you can't afford to pay maybe you could work out something like cleaning stalls or grooming horses.
     

Tags
bit, curb bit, respond, snaffle, swivel shank

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0