A Good Snaffle with leverage? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > Western Riding

A Good Snaffle with leverage?

This is a discussion on A Good Snaffle with leverage? within the Western Riding forums, part of the Riding Horses category

    Like Tree15Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
      #11
    Cat
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2BigReds    
    When I was picking out transition bits, the second one that Joe posted was one of my top picks. However, like you, I prefer a bit with copper and/or sweet iron, so I chose this instead:

    Western SS Hinged Ported Roller Bit - Horse.com

    Awhile ago one of the trainers at our barn happened to see it on my horse and mention that she used the same one to show all of her training horses in since it's a very easy transition from snaffle to curb. It's a nice, forgiving bit with completely independent sides for occasional two-handed reining. My horse LOVES this bit. It's good looking, to boot!
    I have this bit and love it.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-19-2013, 10:03 PM
      #12
    Showing
    As far as bits to transition up to from a snaffle, I generally go with something like one of these.
    Http://www.amazon.com/Coronet-Training-Short-Shank-Copper/dp/B007T9B6QM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OX4DECX9Z5R0&coliid=I29F5VN6VDEQ28

    Http://www.amazon.com/Francois-Gauthier-Antique-Hinged-Futurity/dp/B003ABB6TA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC_pads?ie=UTF8&colid=OX4DECX9Z5R0&coliid=I24WKBG58Z94UP



    And, I haven't had the opportunity to try one of these, but I really like the looks of them and plan to try one soon.
    Http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Brite-High-Port-Swivel-Mouth/dp/B002HIEGI0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=OX4DECX9Z5R0&coliid=I3A3TYAKMIF3XV
         
        01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Thanks everyone. I might go ahead and purchase Joe4D's suggestion and smrobs other suggestion...

    Smrobs... do you consider that last bit mild? Even in intermediate/amature hands? I get help from a trainer but do most of the riding myself.

    I'm guessing everyone feels a solid mouth piece is more mild for a broke horse (assuming the rider has a good seat and soft educated hands).
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 08:56 PM
      #14
    Showing
    As for that last one, it's no less mild than the others I posted...providing that it is fitted correctly and has a curb strap of the proper length. I'm sure that if the curb strap was left long and allowed the bit to pivot completely around in the mouth, it would be a bit more uncomfortable than a bit with a smooth(non-square) port, but otherwise, the short shanks and diameter of the bit are about the same as any other.
         
        01-21-2013, 07:34 AM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2BigReds    
    When I was picking out transition bits, the second one that Joe posted was one of my top picks. However, like you, I prefer a bit with copper and/or sweet iron, so I chose this instead:

    Western SS Hinged Ported Roller Bit - Horse.com

    Awhile ago one of the trainers at our barn happened to see it on my horse and mention that she used the same one to show all of her training horses in since it's a very easy transition from snaffle to curb. It's a nice, forgiving bit with completely independent sides for occasional two-handed reining. My horse LOVES this bit. It's good looking, to boot!
    I second the bit shown...it's an AWESOME bit and works well from transitioning from a snaffle to a ported bit. I stay away from shanked bit with a jointed mouth. Shanks and jointed mouths simply don't go together.
         
        01-22-2013, 09:26 AM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
    I second the bit shown...it's an AWESOME bit and works well from transitioning from a snaffle to a ported bit. I stay away from shanked bit with a jointed mouth. Shanks and jointed mouths simply don't go together.
    I think I'm going to go with this one. It has good reviews that I could find and I like the copper roller.

    Its good to know to stay away from broken mouthpieces. That's what a lot of people around here use. (Not tom thumbs or cheapo ones though).

    Thanks everyone.

    I might just purchase one or two of the other suggestions though and see what the horse likes best.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    2BigReds likes this.
         
        01-22-2013, 10:23 AM
      #17
    Trained
    Bought this one at the local tack store yesterday...paid $5 extra, but keeping local tack stores in business is a good thing. Rode Mia with it yesterday. It was her first time in a leveraged bit, and my first time using one. We kept things low-key - just walking and trotting in an area she knows well. Oh, and we did about 15 minutes of ground work flexing on both sides and vertically first.

    Based on 1 ride, things are looking good. It is very similar to some of the bits above.





    For the record, I adjusted the bit & bridle after the second picture. And Mia does have an eye on that side of her face....

    I think having independent action by both shanks helped her figure it out quickly after a year in snaffles. I saw no signs of worry or resentment from her. Being my first time using a leveraged bit, I was amazed at how the slightest touch would send a signal. I'm looking forward to riding with it & her more today. She stayed calm & relaxed the whole time...but each day is a new day with Mia.
         
        01-23-2013, 09:22 AM
      #18
    Weanling
    I actually found this bit:

    257318- Partrade SS BrushedLow Port Hinged Futurity Bit

    Its a little more expensive (doesn't bother me though... I was ready to buy the $65 bit lol) but it has a sweet iron mouth piece. And I'm already ordering stuff through them...

    I looks pretty much the same. Same shank length and such...
         
        01-24-2013, 11:04 PM
      #19
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lopin N Paint    
    I actually found this bit:

    257318- Partrade SS BrushedLow Port Hinged Futurity Bit

    Its a little more expensive (doesn't bother me though... I was ready to buy the $65 bit lol) but it has a sweet iron mouth piece. And I'm already ordering stuff through them...

    I looks pretty much the same. Same shank length and such...
    It's actually the same one! Lol the SS is confusing on Horse.com since they don't mention the sweet iron, but mine started oxidizing on the mouthpiece and if you look reeeeeeeally closely in person, you can kinda tell where the sweet iron ends and the stainless begins.

    I will say, though, it majorly threw me off guard! I kept staring at it thinking WHY IS STAINLESS STEEL RUSTING THIS BIT IS A LIE!!! Until my trainer knocked some sense into me!
         
        01-24-2013, 11:26 PM
      #20
    Started
    I love this bit as a transition bit! It's really light. And I just like it's feel.



    And on this bit, the snaffle joint rotates, so there is no nut-cracker action. But, it is a heaveir bit then the one above. My mare did not like it at all.

         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Black iron teardrop training snaffle, good or ? Kiimberly117 Horse Tack Reviews 5 06-26-2012 02:12 AM
    "Graduating" From Snaffle to Leverage Bits 2BigReds Horse Training 11 10-11-2011 08:43 PM
    Leverage? smrobs Movies, Music, and TV 9 12-25-2010 08:33 PM
    English leverage bits.. A little help? ShannonSevenfold Horse Tack and Equipment 17 10-15-2009 07:13 AM
    curious...leverage bits - curbchains = ? Go The Distance Horse Tack and Equipment 7 08-16-2009 09:29 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0